Kurtzman: Expect an expansion on the Star Trek Universe soon

Me:

I think we can definitely expect a Section 31 show, I can also see some sort of new Borg origins being a possibility (and I mean the new more compact Borg from the Picard show). I wish they would move on from that species. It has served for a number of Star Trek movies and whole season arcs in multiple Trek TV shows as well. How many times has humanity defeated the Borg when millions of other civilizations couldn't?

Anyway I hope they don't screw up Trek again like they did with Enterprise.

On 03/05/2022 at 11:51, Steven P. said:

I think we can definitely expect a Section 31 show, I can also see some sort of new Borg origins being a possibility (and I mean the new more compact Borg from the Picard show). I wish they would move on from that species. It has served for a number of Star Trek movies and whole season arcs in multiple Trek TV shows as well. How many times has humanity defeated the Borg when millions of other civilizations couldn't?

Anyway I hope they don't screw up Trek again like they did with Enterprise.

Section 31 was still in the plans, and I suspect that they are going to do a Starfleet Academy show with Tilly.

I think they closed the book [finally] with the Borg with last weeks episode of Picard and I don't think they were even referenced in the last season of Discovery with who created the DMA.

Rios/Stargazer doing a proper 25th century show would be great, but it would compete with strange new worlds. Interested to see what they come up with. 

On 03/05/2022 at 11:57, primortal said:

Section 31 was still in the plans, and I suspect that they are going to do a Starfleet Academy show with Tilly.

I think they closed the book [finally] with the Borg with last weeks episode of Picard and I don't think they were even referenced in the last season of Discovery with who created the DMA.

They were brought up when they talked about 10c and a collective consciousness. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 17:57, primortal said:

1. I will not watch any show that has "Tilly" in it
  2. Did you miss how this was a whole new start for the Borg, and actually sets up what appeared in Episode 1 before the Stargazer blew up?

My point is that in the Trek Universe they have literally wiped the slate with the Borg so they can create a bunch of new stories with the new and improved Next Generation Borg 😛 

On 03/05/2022 at 12:09, shockz said:

Rios/Stargazer doing a proper 25th century show would be great, but it would compete with strange new worlds. Interested to see what they come up with. 

How would it compete with Strange New Worlds?  Completely two different stardates.  I'm also wondering if Rios will stay with Ramirez.

I'd like to see Raffi and Seven with the Fenris Rangers.

On 03/05/2022 at 12:09, shockz said:

They were brought up when they talked about 10c and a collective consciousness. 

Dam, missed that part....

On 03/05/2022 at 12:11, Steven P. said:

Did you miss how this was a whole new start for the Borg, and actually sets up what appeared in Episode 1 before the Stargazer blew up?

I didn't miss it and I have many questions around the new start for the Borg.  I don't know if Borg/Legion was something else altogether in the first episode.

On 03/05/2022 at 12:25, primortal said:

How would it compete with Strange New Worlds?  Completely two different stardates. 

They’d both be doing the same thing though. They’ve never had two series competing with the same type of mission. Deep space nine was a bridge to voyager and TNG, but was a very different show than either of them. Voyager was basically another TNG just lost in space and wasn’t airing during TNG, they even used the same sets with a fresh coat of paint. 

On 03/05/2022 at 12:28, shockz said:

They’d both be doing the same thing though. They’ve never had two series competing with the same type of mission. Deep space nine was a bridge to voyager and TNG, but was a very different show than either of them. Voyager was basically another TNG just lost in space and wasn’t airing during TNG. 

True.  But I'd suspect it would be more of a season story arc like Picar/Discovery and less episodic like Strange New Worlds unless the old format blows away ratings in comparison to Picard and Discovery.

On 03/05/2022 at 19:28, shockz said:

They’d both be doing the same thing though. They’ve never had two series competing with the same type of mission. Deep space nine was a bridge to voyager and TNG, but was a very different show than either of them. Voyager was basically another TNG just lost in space and wasn’t airing during TNG, they even used the same sets with a fresh coat of paint. 

It wouldn't really matter and be competition if they're not airing at the same time.   One show ends it's 10-13 eps or whatever and the next one starts, like with how Picard s2 ends and SNW starts.   I don't think the fans will have a problem with jumping back and forth on the timelines.

On 06/05/2022 at 22:25, McCordRm said:

Section 31 would be the darkest Star Trek series ever.

Would it have to?  Sure they've done some dark stuff but it could be more of your typical spy series stuff, just set in the Trek world and scifi.   At the end Section 31 is just their version of the CIA or MI6.

Yup he's dragging the Trek name through the mud with the shoddy and poorly written shows.

I'd watch Voyager 100x better than this, hell, I'd even try to struggle through Enterprise again...

These days trek reminds me more of Stargate/Recent Dr Who series for how much the fling around plots, make up new nonsense and have 'extreme' danger only to survive 5 minutes at the end because of 'one person'.

I don't care about the 'times it's written for' but the writing better be good and I'd be happy.  I don't see how the future can be more depressing than 'now' but it seems to manage it in this 'Kurtzman' Trek.  Glad we've given up money and in the pursuit of benefitting mankind as a whole, it really shines through in this universe :D

On 07/05/2022 at 23:21, imachip said:

Yup he's dragging the Trek name through the mud with the shoddy and poorly written shows.

I'd watch Voyager 100x better than this, hell, I'd even try to struggle through Enterprise again...

I've seen all seven seasons of Voyager at least 3 times and when I am not watching entire seasons, individual episodes I've rewatched more, some shows are just so good and rewatchable :) It is my favorite of all Trek. I've been meaning to give Enterprise another watch because I originally saw the series in SD on TV when it was airing, I've seen a few episodes in HD since but I've not done whole seasons back to back yet.

Another show that is rewatchable is Stargate Universe. I was so sad when that got cancelled, seen that all the way through three times as well.

The first episode of ST Strange New Worlds is definitely rewatchable!

Star Trek: Convenience Store.

It revolves around a Vulcan, Andorian, Human and Horta working in a Convenience store in space dock.

• Haha 2

I miss DC Fontana, she knew how to write Trek.

On 07/05/2022 at 03:38, George P said:

Would it have to?  Sure they've done some dark stuff but it could be more of your typical spy series stuff, just set in the Trek world and scifi.   At the end Section 31 is just their version of the CIA or MI6.

I would think it would have to be. Section 31 does a lot of shady ######.

On 07/05/2022 at 18:20, Steven P. said:

The first episode of ST Strange New Worlds is definitely rewatchable!

I haven't watched it yet. I do like the actors (Mount, Peck and Romijn) and their chemistry together. I can see why they built a show around them.

I always thought a Starfleet Academy show would get good traction, and indeed is what I was HOPING Picard would largely be... It struck me that, rather than being the Admiral in charge, or one of the teachers etc, he would be retired and fulfilling Boothby's old role...

I suppose you could do a academy show that's 4 seasons, if people watch, which is as long as the program iirc.  So you'd track a group from start to finish.   But I could also see how it could go south into teen drama just as well.

On 08/05/2022 at 22:51, George P said:

I suppose you could do a academy show that's 4 seasons, if people watch, which is as long as the program iirc.  So you'd track a group from start to finish.   But I could also see how it could go south into teen drama just as well.

I think Star Fleet Academy would be more about lessons learned, the responsibilities of command and other duties. It's stuff we've already touched on with other characters across series like DS9 (Sisko's son, Nog) and TNG (several one-off characters, Wesley). I actually thought the episode in Discovery with the cadets was an interesting one, if not a little too over the top. I like the idea of seeing lots of personalities build a repertoire and become a team. Anyone who makes it about teen drama only would be largely missing the point of what that show should be about. And throwing someone like Picard, or even Riker in as an instructor would have just thrown it over the top, imo.

But Kurtzman Trek isn't about personal growth, building a better future, and life lessons. It's more about drama and a lack of hope. I still need to watch Strange New Worlds, so maybe that will be better.

On 07/05/2022 at 02:38, George P said:

Have you paid attention to the kind of shady ###### the CIA and MI6 pull? Yea, it would definitely be dark as hell.

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2022 at 20:11, Emn1ty said:

I still need to watch Strange New Worlds, so maybe that will be better.

I tried. I wanted to like it, but.... 😑

• 2 months later...
On 24/08/2022 at 22:16, primortal said:

Please no, I beg of you, Exclusive: Star Trek Kelvin Timeline Show In Development

I'd rather have a mirror universe series than this.

If they want to keep the movie side of the universe going I see the thinking behind it.  And work on the 4th movie is going ahead so..   Guess we'll see how it goes?

• Like 2