Router suggestion that is compatible with DD-WRT

Anybody have a suggestion for a relatively current SOHO router that isn't ridiculously expensive that will be able to have third party firmware installed on it, preferably DD-WRT but Tomato could be considered? I've looked on DD-WRT's website for compatible routers but have no idea how old some of those routers may be. Would like a router that is still new enough to be supported by it's manufacturer just in case. 

Thank you

Just find a router you want, then look it up.  That's probably the best bet.  I wish Buffalo still made stuff because they had a DD-WRT support built-in, basically.

Check out: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/

or this might be your best bet: https://www.flashrouters.com/benefits (Pre-flashed routers, but obviously, if they are on there, they're compatible.)

Do they list which wifi standard the routers support in the support list?

Example

Wifi 6 / 802.11 AX

Wifi 5 / 802.11 AC

Wifi 4 / 802.11 N

Wifi 6 is the newest.

This can help gauge the age of the router.

I would stick to Wifi 5 or above.

Edited by Eternal Tempest

On 17/06/2022 at 10:51, farmeunit said:

Just find a router you want, then look it up.  That's probably the best bet.  I wish Buffalo still made stuff because they had a DD-WRT support built-in, basically.

Check out: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/

or this might be your best bet: https://www.flashrouters.com/benefits (Pre-flashed routers, but obviously, if they are on there, they're compatible.)

Yeah, I've looked on their data base and that is some what confusing for trying to figure out how old the router may be, which wouldn't really matter as long as they still support their own firmware. I'm trying to look this stuff up for a friend and don't want to steer him wrong.

Definitely appreciate that second link. Had thought about looking up routers with 3rd party software already installed but hadn't made it that far yet.

On 17/06/2022 at 10:52, Eternal Tempest said:

Example

Wifi 6 / 802.11 AX

Wifi 5 / 802.11 AC

Wifi 4 / 802.11 N

Wifi 6 is the newest, however, there are more things you have to take a look at, like antenna configuration, etc.

Not worried about wifi 6 at all but do want at least 802.11 AC

• 9 months later...

6E does not have to be expensive - or be incompatible with DD-WRT - the Netgear Nighthawk, as far as I know, is still compatible with DD-WRT - however, it does not require it.   i have no interest in DD-WRT for my own Nighthawk - despite using it before on Netgear routers.

On 17/06/2022 at 10:52, Eternal Tempest said:

Example

Wifi 6 / 802.11 AX

Wifi 5 / 802.11 AC

Wifi 4 / 802.11 N

Wifi 6 is the newest.

This can help gauge the age of the router.

I would stick to Wifi 5 or above.

The Nighthawk is Wifi - 6 compatible out of the box - both the current and 2022 versions and can use 6E extenders - again, both versions. 

If you want to play around, 

It's not anything new, but it is Wireless AC

Linksys 1900 AC

You can get them on eBay for cheap. They are a beast for custom firmware, though I would still make sure it runs what you want to run.

I have one, bought it new 
Bought on for my Gf's house
Bought one for my Parent's house
Bought one for my GF's sister's house.

In this case, I ran Openwrt

It has a 1.6ghz Dual-core ARM processor
512 MB of Ram
USB 3.0, eStata 
128MB of Flash Storage.

you can always hook up a Wireless AP to it.

image.jpeg.337a86d7862393902760bcf6c304c9dd.jpeg

Linksys WRT1900AC AC1900 Dual-Band WiFi Router w/Power Cord & Ethernet Cable 745883598601 | eBay $35+$11 shipping.

6E is still rather fresh even in the general sense let alone the DD-WRT/OpenWRT space.

There are a few good 6 routers with support though

https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-GL-AX1800-Wireless-Internet-WireGuard/dp/B09HBW45ZJ/ this one in particular is built on top of OpenWRT. Been thinking of swapping my AC router with this one myself.

Hello,

In the past I have used routers from TP-Link that supported DD-WRT.  You may wish to check and see what their current lineup is like.  More recently, I have used a router from Mikrotik, and while they do not support DD-WRT, they frequently provide firmware updates with fixes and improvements.  That might be an option to look at as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky