Batgirl (2022) is dead

MV5BM2VkYTU1ZjItYjljZC00ODk2LWJjZjYtODRkYjNhOGM0ZjIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzMwOTU5MDk@._V1_.jpg

Image via IMDB

Batgirl (2022) movie has been scrapped by Warner Bros Discovery months before its planned release.

Reportedly budgeted at more than $70m (£58m), it was due to be shown in cinemas and on the streaming service HBO Max later this year.

The New York Post reported that the decision had followed a poor reaction to test screenings.

However, Warner Bros said the move reflected its "leadership's strategic shift". - BBC

Well if it wouldn't even pass test screenings, and some of the other dross we've had to suffer through did then it must be really bad Hollyweird woke BS. Perhaps it is better this way.

I thought that was what test screening was for to see what needs to be tweaked...

Then there's this, https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-canceled-dc-batgirl-for-tax-write-off/ and https://www.cbr.com/rival-studio-exec-calls-batgirl-movie-cancellation-unprecedented/

According to studio insiders, the film was canceled due to the "desire for the studio’s slate of DC features to be at a blockbuster scale" and had nothing to do with "the quality of the film or the commitment of the filmmakers."

It's just a bazaar they flat-out cancel the movie instead of forgoing the theater and just put it on HBO Max like they originally planned.  If they wanted the movie to be blockbuster scale, then throw more money on it and get it there.  I was curious to see how the directors of Ms. Marvel was going to do Batgirl.

Now we'll only get to see Michael Keaton as Batman in the Flash movie if they don't cancel that because of Ezra Miller antics.

The new WB-Discovery CEO doesn't have time to mess around with any DC second tier movie projects.  Sure they could've put it on HBO Max but would it have moved the needle for subs?  I somehow doubt it.   Remember they were even in early pre-production on a Wonder Twins movie.  That one got killed quick.  

Instead of pushing ahead of other characters how about they give us a second Superman movie already?   You have one of the top brands and you just kick it to the back burner to make Batgirl?   

I just get the feeling it was assumed Batgirl was going to be the perfect

Woke vehicle, but then the TV show was absolutely ridiculed and the

new movie couldn't even get passed the test screening. Just goes to show

the "Woke" revolution is such a tiny minority, there's literally no money in it.

• Like 4

That's an expensive pill to swallow... Here's hoping they learn some lessons from it.  Give the existing fans what they want and you're printing your own money.

• Like 2

Terrible news simply due to the Keaton involvement.  This should remain a HBO Max (or whatever the new streaming service name will be) release.  Beyond disappointing.  

$70 mil for what I assume is more woke BS(?). hopefully they learned their lesson but I don't think they will as they are too far gone and will probably keep on pushing BS instead of giving people what they want to see.

but regardless of that... Batgirl just seems like a pointless character straight up as it's a watered down Batman basically (sort of like 'Supergirl' compared to the genuine article 'Superman' etc). but when it comes to female super hero's in general there is really only one worth mentioning... Wonder Woman.

p.s. just on a personal note though I tend to prefer DC over Marvel in general given there is simply more interesting main characters on the DC side than the Marvel side as it's pretty much Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman vs pretty much just the Thor series on the Marvel side. that recent Batman movie was quite weak though with Robert Pattinson as the Bale/Affleck ones are clearly better in my mind.

On 08/08/2022 at 16:00, ThaCrip said:

but when it comes to female super hero's in general there is really only one worth mentioning... Wonder Woman.

Whilst I agree with you, I don't want another Wonder Woman movie... Just in case we get a repeat of Wonder Woman 1984.... :s 

The talk is that they're going to just mark it as a tax write off and probably destroy the film so it never sees the light of day.  If they did put it on HBO Max they couldn't get the write off.  And it's going to do nothing to help HBO Max in the least.  No ones going to rush to sub to it just to see Batgirl.

The only way you do a Batgirl movie is if you first introduce her in one or two Batman movies first.

I'd sooner watch this than *any* of the last several (dozen?) Marvel films.*

*The only good Marvel character films (IMHO) were the first two Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films (especially the second one). The third Maguire Spider-Man film was destroyed by shoe-horning "Venom" into the mix.

And this is what I don't understand....  https://tvline.com/2022/08/09/black-canary-movie-status-hbo-max-jurnee-smollett/

You go ahead and cancel a nearly completed movie that features Michael F'n Keaton returning as Batman, which is something nearly everyone wants to see, but progress forward with a Black Canary movie that isn't even off the ground yet?  Baffling.  

Of course, Keaton could appear in the Black Canary movie as well... but until that is confirmed in some form or fashion, this is a waste.  

• Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 08:53, Innervisions33 said:

And this is what I don't understand....  https://tvline.com/2022/08/09/black-canary-movie-status-hbo-max-jurnee-smollett/

You go ahead and cancel a nearly completed movie that features Michael F'n Keaton returning as Batman, which is something nearly everyone wants to see, but progress forward with a Black Canary movie that isn't even off the ground yet?  Baffling.  

Of course, Keaton could appear in the Black Canary movie as well... but until that is confirmed in some form or fashion, this is a waste.  

If they were smart, they would have left Michael F'n Keaton's original outfit alone. It was perfect.

I'm certainly looking forward to a future movie about Zaslav going around Warners canning all this garbage content! "We are gathered here today for the career funeral of whomever had a "great sit down" with David yesterday.......

Seen a lot of comments about Batgirl being "woke" and thus cancelled .... and maybe I'm just tired of that word being thrown around all Willy nilly ... but how did Batgirl being "woke" directly lead to its cancellation?

From my understanding David Zaslav, the new boss at Warner Bros., hasn't been afraid to make sweeping changes (like HBO Max) or cancelling projects like Batgirl because he "didn't believe in it."

Hopefully Zaslav's vision and "10-year plan" for DC produces better content than we've received in the past.  Sure, there have been some good DC movies...but for every good DC movie you have several others where the climatic ending is the mother's name being Martha.  For all we know, Batgirl, could have just been another subpar DC entry and Mr. Zaslav was like, "nope, not on my watch", and had nothing to do with "woke" (whatever the hell that means)

Anyway, just tired of reading x,y,z was cancelled or failed or whatever because "woke" ... come up with or think of something more original.  

• Like 2

The film had a low budget to begin with; you get what you pay for.  Instead of writing it off, add more money to it and beef up the script some more.

DCEU IMHO is a colossal mess.  There is no cohesion between the movies and shows like the MCU has.   The MCU has everything related to something in the universe whether it be movies or shows, and nothing is completely standalone.

On 10/08/2022 at 17:04, Jim K said:

Anyway, just tired of reading x,y,z was cancelled or failed or whatever because "woke" ... come up with or think of something more original.  

I apply the word when you have a movie where all the males are depicted as semi-or totally useless morons, or only there for comedic relief which is plenty of what we've seen since the #MeToo era.

Hollyweird just does not get it, and the whole "woke" aspect of it is them shoving a politically charged message down movie-goers throats. Anyway, that's how I see it.

The industry started getting "woke" when there was pushback over how James Bond treated women way back in 1990 when Timothy Dalton became Bond, and again with Pierce Brosnan, Hollyweird's answer, make Bond the butt of jokes for the women in those movies, mmkay whatever works, but did Hollyweird really address the equality, which feminist's were crying about? AFAIK there remained a huge gap in salary, which is an actual real world issue that people were complaining about.

But wait over there and let a woman save you, because that's what the woke society asked for in comic book movies according to Hollyweird.

Batgirl could have been really bad yeah, in the 60s she was comic relief in the TV series, and since I do not delve into the comic book universe of Batman, the movies and TV series is about all I had to go on :) 

• Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 11:04, Jim K said:

Seen a lot of comments about Batgirl being "woke" and thus cancelled .... and maybe I'm just tired of that word being thrown around all Willy nilly ... but how did Batgirl being "woke" directly lead to its cancellation?

From my understanding David Zaslav, the new boss at Warner Bros., hasn't been afraid to make sweeping changes (like HBO Max) or cancelling projects like Batgirl because he "didn't believe in it."

Hopefully Zaslav's vision and "10-year plan" for DC produces better content than we've received in the past.  Sure, there have been some good DC movies...but for every good DC movie you have several others where the climatic ending is the mother's name being Martha.  For all we know, Batgirl, could have just been another subpar DC entry and Mr. Zaslav was like, "nope, not on my watch", and had nothing to do with "woke" (whatever the hell that means)

I don't see many thing been cancelled for been woke. I see that many movies and series are trying to be so woke they are destroying original fan base hoping to catch a new one - crappy strategy that does not work.

Let see where this goes in next 10 years.

I LOVE strong female leads and supporting casts. I have no issues with any race been the lead.

But to take classic story and change it to be all inclusive just because ...

Is about as dumb as forcing Businesses to hire based on color... Even if the color person is less qualified.

I am all for EQUALITY,.. this inclusion for the sale of including, not based on merit and is pointless.

Same for Hollywood 

On 10/08/2022 at 11:33, Steven P. said:

I apply the word when you have a movie where all the males are depicted as semi-or totally useless morons, or only there for comedic relief which is plenty of what we've seen since the #MeToo era.

Hollyweird just does not get it, and the whole "woke" aspect of it is them shoving a politically charged message down movie-goers throats. Anyway, that's how I see it.

The industry started getting "woke" when there was pushback over how James Bond treated women way back in 1990 when Timothy Dalton became Bond, and again with Pierce Brosnan, Hollyweird's answer, make Bond the butt of jokes for the women in those movies, mmkay whatever works, but did Hollyweird really address the equality, which feminist's were crying about? AFAIK there remained a huge gap in salary, which is an actual real world issue that people were complaining about.

But wait over there and let a woman save you, because that's what the woke society asked for in comic book movies according to Hollyweird.

Batgirl could have been really bad yeah, in the 60s she was comic relief in the TV series, and since I do not delve into the comic book universe of Batman, the movies and TV series is about all I had to go on :) 

I'm failing to see how that pertains to this movie.  You had, or would have had, Michael Keaton as Batman ... no idea who else would have been in the movie.  Were the other males "semi-or totally useless morons"? 

Honestly, the only thing I know about this movie is that Batgirl was going to be Latina.  So, what about this movie, specifically, is "woke"?

On 10/08/2022 at 11:58, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I don't see many thing been cancelled for been woke. I see that many movies and series are trying to be so woke they are destroying original fan base hoping to catch a new one - crappy strategy that does not work.

Let see where this goes in next 10 years.

I LOVE strong female leads and supporting casts. I have no issues with any race been the lead.

But to take classic story and change it to be all inclusive just because ...

Is about as dumb as forcing Businesses to hire based on color... Even if the color person is less qualified.

I am all for EQUALITY,.. this inclusion for the sale of including, not based on merit and is pointless.

Same for Hollywood 

Which Batgirl classic story?  There have been several variations of Batgirl throughout her history in the DC comics, including Cassandra Cain's Batgirl.  In other words...so what if this Batgirl is Latina (if that is what you mean by all inclusive). 

Will you hate the new Captain America as well?

Ummmm, Batgirl/Barbara Gordon/Oracle is a pretty major character in the Batman Universe.  There's really nothing "woke" about this one... and I'd even argue it made more sense to do a Batgirl movie than some sort of Robin movie.  

• Like 2

On 10/08/2022 at 13:50, Jim K said:

I'm failing to see how that pertains to this movie.  You had, or would have had, Michael Keaton as Batman ... no idea who else would have been in the movie.  Were the other males "semi-or totally useless morons"? 

Honestly, the only thing I know about this movie is that Batgirl was going to be Latina.  So, what about this movie, specifically, is "woke"?

Which Batgirl classic story?  There have been several variations of Batgirl throughout her history in the DC comics, including Cassandra Cain's Batgirl.  In other words...so what if this Batgirl is Latina (if that is what you mean by all inclusive). 

Will you hate the new Captain America as well?

Will I HATE? No, where did you get this idea?

I am all for EQUALITY. 

I don't care if Batgirl was latina. I have issues if she was picked to act ONLY because she was latina.. that is like reverse racism.

Evidence: it was cancelled. So even latina lead did not save qshotty movie.

If it was actually good,.. do you really think they will cancel it????

Hell no. Especially nowadays. It must have been mediocre.  Just having a latina lead does not make it good.

There were multiracial heros in comics...

In fact comics showed more inclusive mood way before the general public was willing to accept.

That is why, even though I love equality and same rules for all.... It means same rules for all. Not that you have to make every old character a different race just becuase you want to be woke.

On 10/08/2022 at 12:57, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Will I HATE? No, where did you get this idea?

I am all for EQUALITY. 

I don't care if Batgirl was latina. I have issues if she was picked to act ONLY because she was latina.. that is like reverse racism.

Evidence: it was cancelled. So even latina lead did not save qshotty movie

See, now we're getting somewhere.  So, the movie was "woke" because they hired Leslie Grace and the movie was cancelled ultimately because of that decision?  There is more to a movie than the lead actor...

Regardless, and I've never heard of Leslie Grace, you don't think another Latina actress could have pulled off this role?  If you think another Latina actress could have played Batgirl then hiring the wrong person (Leslie) wasn't just a bad decision...it was a "woke" decision?  Do I have that clear?

On 10/08/2022 at 14:31, Jim K said:

See, now we're getting somewhere.  So, the movie was "woke" because they hired Leslie Grace and the movie was cancelled ultimately because of that decision?  There is more to a movie than the lead actor...

Regardless, and I've never heard of Leslie Grace, you don't think another Latina actress could have pulled off this role?  If you think another Latina actress could have played Batgirl then hiring the wrong person (Leslie) wasn't just a bad decision...it was a "woke" decision?  Do I have that clear?

Now you are nit picking to suit what you think you hear or what you want to hear.

I am not interested in this anymore.  This is a useless pursuit as clearly you are also pushing your agenda by responding the way you responded...

I think I know what you are trying to say with your smart ass "now we are getting somewhere"....

But ok.

You win. I don't care for this discussion anymore. I said all I wanted to say.

On 10/08/2022 at 11:33, Steven P. said:

On 10/08/2022 at 13:41, Jim K said:

Not nitpicking.  You said you didn't care if Batgirl was Latina ... which is why I'm now questioning about the actress and what about her is "woke" 

I'm just trying to understand wtf is "woke" about this (and seemingly every damn thing else lately)...instead of it just being trash in the eyes of David Zaslav.

Maybe I'm using the word wrong, but when I think of woke, I think of box checking, like the Hulu movie I watched called Sex Appeal, where the female lead had 3 moms, one was Asian, and one of her classmates had to be an overtly gay male.