D-Link GO-SW-5G (2012) or Netgear GS205v2 (2013)?

I currently have two basic 5-port Gigabit unmanaged switches in storage and I'm going to get rid of one.

Are there any reasons to keep one over the other?

I'd just throw away the older one. I hate D-Link, too, so someone else?

On 07/08/2022 at 11:26, Mindovermaster said:

I'd just throw away the older one. I hate D-Link, too, so someone else?

I'm a packrat when it comes to tech.. if they still work ... I would keep them both lol.

On 07/08/2022 at 11:56, warwagon said:

I'm a packrat when it comes to tech.. if they still work ... I would keep them both lol.

Yeah, I know you are.. I'd keep both, too. Why he needs to throw one away, no idea.

I still have my Linksys 10/100 switch.. :laugh: 

On 07/08/2022 at 11:00, Elliot B. said:

I currently have two basic 5-port Gigabit unmanaged switches in storage and I'm going to get rid of one.

Are there any reasons to keep one over the other?

The Netgear is likely a bit better, but the difference is going to be extremely slim.

Might as well flip a coin or pick which one you like the looks of better.

Why are you only keeping 1?  Curious - if your keeping one, and they both work why not keep them both?  Or just throw them both out..  Either one doesn't really matter they are dumb switches - if they work they work, doesn't really matter other than if you like the way one looks over the other, etc..

If they were smart and had feature sets to compare.. But since they are both dumb what does it matter.. Looks like the netgear might use slightly less power?

On 07/08/2022 at 16:45, BudMan said:

If they were smart and had feature sets to compare.. But since they are both dumb what does it matter.. Looks like the netgear might use slightly less power?

I'd actually state it as "significantly less power", since not only does it take a 5V / 0.7A DC input as opposed to the D-Link's 5V / 1A, but the spec'd max power is only 2.34W. The D-Link's is a shocking 3.90W! I'm hard pressed to come up with any reason why their power needs would be so disparate, but apparently they are.

I thought the packet buffers might be a differentiator, but Netgear was very sneaky — they state their buffer size as "1Mbit", while D-Link's is documented as "128KBytes". An eagle-eyed units converter will notice that those are precisely the same number. #PrettySneakySis

But, yeah, if you're really desperate for a reason to choose one over the other, the Netgear's markedly greater power efficiency is probably as much as you're going to find.

On 08/08/2022 at 09:36, FeRDNYC said:

I'm hard pressed to come up with any reason why their power needs would be so disparate, but apparently they are.

Probably because it uses a newer manufacturing process to do much the same thing.  I can't tell exactly when the inner hardware was made but that's pretty much the easiest possible correlation.

I'd have a hard time even calling 1.6 watts an actual meaningful difference.