Smart bulb issue

I have these smart bulbs that are NiteBird branded, Amazon doesn't seem to sell them anymore, but they work really good, with the exception of one socket in the kitchen. This bulb will randomly turn on without any triggers, and I have changed the bulb out, and it still does it. All of the lights are controlled via Google Home, and it is as simple as telling Google to turn off kitchen to get the light to turn off, ,but I am really trying to figure out what would be causing it to randomly turn its self on. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

On 08/08/2022 at 09:32, jnelsoninjax said:

trying to figure out what would be causing it to randomly turn its self on.

My guess would be power outage.. All of the bulbs no matter what brand - have a few different ones.  If there is a loss of power and it comes back on - the bulbs default to on.

There could be a problem with this bulb, you say you put a different bulb in - swapped it with a different one and the problem didn't follow the bulb.. So really points to a power issue with that socket or switch where for whatever reason the power is fluctuating and causing the bulb to turn on.

Are there multiple sockets on the same switch - or just 1 socket to switch?

I 2nd what BudMan said; I hate that default; some allow you to change the default behavior for power loss but most just hard code the default to turning back on. Was horrible when that would happen with the bedroom lights in the middle of the night lol

That behavior is why I eventually ended up with Wyze for a bit as you could control that. Now I use Philips Hue lights as zigbee is much better as it's local controlled instead of relying on an external server.

All the above aside though you probably should get that socket/switch checked out as it does sound like it has a short or something causing a break in the current occasionally.

On 08/08/2022 at 10:10, Mindovermaster said:

Where is the Google Home device?

Less than 10 feet from the kitchen

On 08/08/2022 at 11:42, BudMan said:

My guess would be power outage.. All of the bulbs no matter what brand - have a few different ones.  If there is a loss of power and it comes back on - the bulbs default to on.

There could be a problem with this bulb, you say you put a different bulb in - swapped it with a different one and the problem didn't follow the bulb.. So really points to a power issue with that socket or switch where for whatever reason the power is fluctuating and causing the bulb to turn on.

Are there multiple sockets on the same switch - or just 1 socket to switch?

The kitchen switch has one fixture with two bulb sockets.

On 08/08/2022 at 12:44, Brandon H said:

I 2nd what BudMan said; I hate that default; some allow you to change the default behavior for power loss but most just hard code the default to turning back on. Was horrible when that would happen with the bedroom lights in the middle of the night lol

That behavior is why I eventually ended up with Wyze for a bit as you could control that. Now I use Philips Hue lights as zigbee is much better as it's local controlled instead of relying on an external server.

All the above aside though you probably should get that socket/switch checked out as it does sound like it has a short or something causing a break in the current occasionally.

I am suspected that there may be an issue with the light socket since this mobile home is rather old, and we have issue with such things like not being able to use the microwave and have the window AC unit running without it tripping the circuit

Might want to get your electricity cables checked. As you say, they are old. They could start fraying after ~20+ years.

Not a bad suggestion, honestly this whole house just needs to be razed, and once we move out, the park has already stated that they will tear it down.

yeah definitely should get it checked out, even if you plan to move soon. don't want to chance any electrical fires if things degrade more.