Multiple instances of MS Edge show up in the task manager on startup

I do not use Edge, never have opened it on this current install, yet upon startup, there is in excess of 8 instances showing running in the task manager, they stay gone when I close them, but this system is slow enough with the standard services, etc. Is there any reason for this and any method to prevent it?

Hello,

Try opening Microsoft Edge and then going to edge://settings/system in the address bar.  This should bring you to the System and performance section of that browser's settings.  At the top of the window are options called Startup boost and Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed.   Try setting each of these option to Disabled and then close Microsoft Edge.

Now restart the computer as you normally would.  Does Microsoft Edge still continue to run when the computer starts up?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 5

On 29/08/2022 at 18:37, goretsky said:

Hello,

Try opening Microsoft Edge and then going to edge://settings/system in the address bar.  This should bring you to the System and performance section of that browser's settings.  At the top of the window are options called Startup boost and Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed.   Try setting each of these option to Disabled and then close Microsoft Edge.

Now restart the computer as you normally would.  Does Microsoft Edge still continue to run when the computer starts up?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for that info. I will try it and see

On 29/08/2022 at 17:37, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Probably, because Webview 2 powers the widgets like the weather/news thing.

On 29/08/2022 at 18:37, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

So I just booted up this morning and there is 6 processes of Edge running, which is down from where it was before, but it is still loading.

On 29/08/2022 at 20:41, Runtime Error said:

Probably, because Webview 2 powers the widgets like the weather/news thing.

I any using Openshell, and have all the widgets disabled, never did like them. Is it possible that they are still loading in the background?

Task Manager > Startup > right click Microsoft Edge and click disable

Just did a trial run and I didn't have any Microsoft Edge's on reboot.

Capture.jpg.a44d9e1589b69e0f81153585d4d80fa5.jpg

On 30/08/2022 at 03:09, jnelsoninjax said:

So I just booted up this morning and there is 6 processes of Edge running, which is down from where it was before, but it is still loading.

I any using Openshell, and have all the widgets disabled, never did like them. Is it possible that they are still loading in the background?

Disabling widgets merely hides them. It doesn’t disable them from running. You can uninstall them with winget though. 

On 30/08/2022 at 06:58, Jim K said:

Task Manager > Startup > right click Microsoft Edge and click disable

Just did a trial run and I didn't have any Microsoft Edge's on reboot.

Capture.jpg.a44d9e1589b69e0f81153585d4d80fa5.jpg

It does not show there.