Inbox in favorites folder in outlook folder disappeared, how do I get it back?

Hey folks,

Sorry for such a basic question compared to topics ya guys usually discuss. I need help with what should be simple.

The Inbox in favorites folder in outlook folder disappeared, how do I get it back? The rest are still there, deleted, drafts and what have you. Its just the inbox folder thats missing.

20220920_161125.jpg

You might have to re-add that gmail address, as it looks like it has not synced yet. Outlook does not support IMAP with Gmail (or any external email addresses) anymore, because Microsoft turned that off, so you would have to add it with POP3 and set your email permissions for downloading, POP3 makes a copy of the email on your computer, whereas IMAP means you are managing a "cloud" version of your email.

I think Microsoft left IMAP on for people that already had it, but if for any reason that stopped working or you deleted it, you will not be able to re-add it with IMAP, you will be able to add back as POP3.

On the sidebar, scroll down, find the missing Inbox and drag it into the Favorites section. If you can't find it, you might need to re-add the mail account to Outlook again.

Its not a Gmail inbox. Its a general inbox that will show mail from all your seperate inboxes that you mark as a favorite. Its not tied to a specific email account. its part of outlook. Shows even before you add any accounts. For some reason it disappeared on me. The sent folder and rest are still there (see photo) but inbox is gone (supposed to be right above sent folder).

Oh, I see. So you had some sort of Unified Inbox for all your accounts?
I'm not sure how you had that set up has Outlook doesn't have a unified inbox, but there are some workarounds that are described here - https://mailsmartly.com/merge-outlook-accounts/#Merge_Outlook_Accounts_Using_Rule_Function.

On 20/09/2022 at 23:31, Steven P. said:

You might have to re-add that gmail address, as it looks like it has not synced yet. Outlook does not support IMAP with Gmail (or any external email addresses) anymore, because Microsoft turned that off, so you would have to add it with POP3 and set your email permissions for downloading, POP3 makes a copy of the email on your computer, whereas IMAP means you are managing a "cloud" version of your email.

I think Microsoft left IMAP on for people that already had it, but if for any reason that stopped working or you deleted it, you will not be able to re-add it with IMAP, you will be able to add back as POP3.

Have you got a link saying we can't use Gmail IMAP with outlook now?

My Gmail IMAP works with Outlook and all a Google gives me is Outlook 2016 removes the option to use less secure apps telling people to upgrade to Outlook 2019.

On 20/09/2022 at 19:13, virtorio said:

Oh, I see. So you had some sort of Unified Inbox for all your accounts?
I'm not sure how you had that set up has Outlook doesn't have a unified inbox, but there are some workarounds that are described here - https://mailsmartly.com/merge-outlook-accounts/#Merge_Outlook_Accounts_Using_Rule_Function.

Hrmm.  I didnt do anything, it came that way when I installed outlook. Its been awhile since Ive had outlook, but far as i can remember, outlook has always had unified a unified inbox, thats kinda the point of outlook in the first place.....

On 20/09/2022 at 19:13, virtorio said:

On 21/09/2022 at 08:31, Steven P. said:

IMAP isn't disabled...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-a-gmail-account-to-outlook-70191667-9c52-4581-990e-e30318c2c081

https://www.lifewire.com/setup-gmail-in-outlook-4588066