Ideal setup for a consultant with different clients on a Windows (11) machine

Just a question... when working as a consultant on 1 laptop with multiple clients and client-environments, custom/client logins, applications etc... what is the best setup?

Given that's everything secured via agreements and righteous use of software per client, GDPR etc.

- each client a different Windows user on your (local) machine, with the apps installed that are needed per client?

- use different VM's?

- use virtual desktops?

- use specific software for client-management? (if so  which?)

- something else?

It really depends on the agreements you have with your clients. One other option you can consider (if complete data separation is required) is multiple Windows installs, and you boot into the specific client install as required.

The main issue with this, as well as using different client accounts is that it might get very annoying for you when you want to do things like check your mail, keep browser bookmarks in sync, have shared documents (quotes and the like) - because each install/account would require you to keep its own set of what is basically common data. But again, it's all down to what your agreements say regarding data privacy.

VM's are not a bad way to go if your machine can run them with good performance. This will depend on what client specific software you want to run inside the VM though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2022 at 00:52, BoondockSaint said:

It really depends on the agreements you have with your clients. One other option you can consider (if complete data separation is required) is multiple Windows installs, and you boot into the specific client install as required.

The main issue with this, as well as using different client accounts is that it might get very annoying for you when you want to do things like check your mail, keep browser bookmarks in sync, have shared documents (quotes and the like) - because each install/account would require you to keep its own set of what is basically common data. But again, it's all down to what your agreements say regarding data privacy.

VM's are not a bad way to go if your machine can run them with good performance. This will depend on what client specific software you want to run inside the VM though.

Is VirtualBox a decent program, or do I need more 'professional like' tooling for this. If so, which?

I don't mind paying for it, as long as it's reasonable and somewhere around a maximum €100/$100 /year (or preferably a one time down payment)

I guess the devolutions suggested by @binaryzero is a bit too expensive for me and the purpose I would like to use it for.

VirtualBox is a solid offering, especially given its pricetag of $0. It is highly configurable, whether it can do what you need really depends on the software you will install inside of it. Its primary commercial competitor would be VMware Workstation, which (in the EU at least) is around €188 (perpetual license, so you only pay for main version upgrades).

Of course the biggest consideration is what your host machine is - and how many resources you can give your VMs.

Client privacy is important, but whether you want to go to this level of data separation really depends on what sector you are working in. You need to consider software licensing if you go with the VM approach - sure you can install MS Office 365 (as an example) on multiple devices, but what about other apps you need. Are your clients providing you with individual licenses? If you're running with VMs, you need to think about backing up that data - not just the whole VM (that part is easy), but the client documents too. In that scenario, do you need to keep them on separate backup drives, or can you have them toegher?

Will this computer be used strictly for client work, or will it be for your own purposes too. You could make it simpler by having separate user accounts on the machine for each client. This would mean that your browser caches, bookmarks, mail files, documents all have their own home directory. You can still install software for each client on the machine as a whole, but configuration is kept with the user profile.

Well it'd help if you told us what sort of consulting you'll be doing...

Lol too expensive....jfc, purchase software and then make your money back...it's paid for itself. 

Edited by binaryzero

I'm into digital marketing & customer journey developments for clients. And everything I purchase needs to be "paid back" via the customer in my rates. So I would like to keep those as clean, and competitive, as possible.

Normally specific software, and licenses, are paid by the customer (and I can use them with their credentials). Some other (generic) tooling I have myself.

So therefore I would like to have, for each client of mine, single environments and/or filesharing way like OneDrive, Sharepoint or whatever (VM or something similar). Separated from other customers of mine, on 1 notebook, so I only have to log in into one client-environment and use all the software, tools that are needed for that particulier job/assignment.

PS Sure, I do get it that some software needs to be purchased, but I don't really get the "jfc" by @binaryzero for just asking what kind of software I best can get, and my reference on it. That's what this thread it about. Not about me not (willing to spend) money on this type of software/services.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 11:28, kiddingguy said:

I'm into digital marketing & customer journey developments for clients. And everything I purchase needs to be "paid back" via the customer in my rates. So I would like to keep those as clean, and competitive, as possible.

Normally specific software, and licenses, are paid by the customer (and I can use them with their credentials). Some other (generic) tooling I have myself.

So therefore I would like to have, for each client of mine, single environments and/or filesharing way like OneDrive, Sharepoint or whatever (VM or something similar). Separated from other customers of mine, on 1 notebook, so I only have to log in into one client-environment and use all the software, tools that are needed for that particulier job/assignment.

PS Sure, I do get it that some software needs to be purchased, but I don't really get the "jfc" by @binaryzero for just asking what kind of software I best can get, and my reference on it. That's what this thread it about. Not about me not (willing to spend) money on this type of software/services.

Don’t sweat the “jfc”. Some people don’t tolerate others not thinking their way. Best to ignore them like they don’t exist. 

I don’t know the correct answer here but it seems to me VMs are the way to go if you want to keep them completely separate. There are low cost alternatives if you need a connection manager, like Royal TS. If you don’t need drive redirection, MS even has a  decent manager out there for free. Check out their client on the store. If aesthetics aren’t your thing, 

https://mremoteng.org

MS has an rdp manager for macOS.

Reminna would be useful if running Linux.

Are you possibly overthinking this?

Get a NAS, and setup shares.  a sperate share  per customer.  This covers your data seperation in an easy to manage manner.  

Do you really need to keep all your applications seperate?  If a client buys you an application to use, chances are it MIGHT be specific to their needs so no worry about using it for multiple clients (even then, do they care?)

I am in a similar boat to you, contractor with multiple similar clients, I just use the tools I need and charge the clients accordingly, keep their data in separate shares on the NAS, all backed up to an external HDD and cloud.

If your clients are total Nazi's on data seperation and security then the VM way might be the best way to go.  that would be a pain TBH, but each to their own in the end.

Good luck

On 28/09/2022 at 14:30, kiddingguy said:

Just a question... when working as a consultant on 1 laptop with multiple clients and client-environments, custom/client logins, applications etc... what is the best setup?

Given that's everything secured via agreements and righteous use of software per client, GDPR etc.

- each client a different Windows user on your (local) machine, with the apps installed that are needed per client?

- use different VM's?

- use virtual desktops?

- use specific software for client-management? (if so  which?)

- something else?

Windows 11 Pro, Hyper-V, encrypted workstations per client.

Don't ever ever allow client work to overlap your personal machine, except in the minor case of inprivate browsing.

I have a separate Asus machine with an AMD Ryzen 4500U, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro installed.

Thus... for each client a separate Windows user can be doable?
My personal machine is & stays my personal machine. Data from clients will never enter there.

On some policies IT-depts can - after approval by managing 'this device' - wipe the entire machine when a (data) breach has been the case (or they suspect it.

Does this mean, when I opt for another Windows-user, that my complete machine can be wiped (incl. the data from my own company, and other clients as well?
Or... will only this Windows-user be deleted from the machine?

In the first case, I think a VM would be the better option, because its "externally" managed on my computer. Also for other security reasons for my company itself as well as other clients, this might be the better other since it's more 'sandboxed' than a (more common) Windows user, right?

Typically if you're consulting, the client will provide you with the environment...

Another Windows user? Errrr okkaay.... This won't make any difference except be a pain in the ass when you need to work on multiple things.

If you're asking these questions, you probably shouldn't be offering consulting services.

• Dislike 2

On 01/11/2022 at 06:04, binaryzero said:

Typically if you're consulting, the client will provide you with the environment...

Another Windows user? Errrr okkaay.... This won't make any difference except be a pain in the ass when you need to work on multiple things.

If you're asking these questions, you probably shouldn't be offering consulting services.

WTH 'if your asking these questions'..., please @binaryzerocome up with real & supportive answers/options to my question - as this forum is for; helping each other out!!. And not bashing on everything that has been said here. This totally makes no sense to me. And is completely not helpful.

I have been on several jobs & assignments in the past. In some cases the client will provide the environment, and sometimes even the hardware. In some cases they don't.
And maybe I am overthinking this, but I would like to do right (GPDR and security wise) for my client, and myself.

I am now on a possible assignment where I should bring in my own (company) notebook - with their tooling etc - and would like to know what options there are to have it organized and managed professionally.

On 01/11/2022 at 06:16, binaryzero said:

Just install the tools on your machine and use it, organise your data in folders. Yeah, you're overthinking it...

And that's the whole thing here in this thread... which "tools" to use :ermm:

Maybe the tools that are required to do...the job? 

You're the one providing professional services for a particular skill you have, you should know which pieces of software you're going to need to use...

On 31/10/2022 at 23:11, binaryzero said:

You're the one providing professional services for a particular skill you have, you should know which pieces of software you're going to need to use...

Everyone starts somewhere. Playing gatekeeper just makes you look bad. 

• Like 2

On 01/11/2022 at 07:11, binaryzero said:

That's right. The tooling/software I use it clear and how to deploy.

But I'm talking about environments in/on how to use them on a notebook used for business purposes.

Like should I create a new user for this, a VM, remote desktop, virtual desktop, client management software etc etc. What is best security-wise, and also software-management wise. Also, as stated, what about giving too much rights away on controlling my main machine with (Microsoft) managed, outsourced, IT-services and alike. I don't like giving too much control to other parties on my own notebook.

On 31/10/2022 at 23:16, kiddingguy said:

But I'm talking about environments in/on how to use them on a notebook used for business purposes.

Like should I create a new user for this, a VM, remote desktop, virtual desktop, client management software etc etc. What is best security-wise, and also software-management wise. Also, as stated, what about giving too much rights away on controlling my main machine with (Microsoft) managed, outsourced, IT-services and alike. I don't like giving too much control to other parties on my own notebook.

You will want a machine with more ram if you are going to be using VMs. 8GB won’t be sufficient. 

On 01/11/2022 at 16:16, kiddingguy said:

Then ask them to provide a machine... And just install the software, as per normal.