How Many Computers Do You Have and What is Their Purpose?

I currently own 5 computers. Below is the list and what their purpose is:

1. MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB, 512GB HD - My personal photography business computer. Business Email, Invoices, Web surfing, Facetime & Chat.

2. Mac Studio M1 Pro, 64GB, 1TB HD - This one is my multimedia workhorse. Video and photo editing only. No email. No chat. No Facetime. No web surfing.

3. HP Pavillion Laptop, 32GB, 1TB HD - My general use computer. Web surfing, chat with friends, Facebook, YouTube, Neowin of course. Just general stuff.

4. Custom-Made AMD 4.13GHz Asus Desktop, 16GB, 1TB HD - The wife computer. She uses this one for school and her other woman things. LOL

5. Gateway 14" Intel i5 Laptop, 16GB, 512GB HD - This is my guinea pig. This one I use to test new versions of Windows, Linux, software, etc.

How about you guys?

Computers currently in use

Main System:   Gigabyte B460M-DS3H,  Intel 10700,  Artric Freezer 7X CPU Cooler,  32GB 2666mhz DDR4 Ram,  Geforce 1660 Super,   NvMe 500GB Boot drive, 1TB Game SSD, and 4TB storage drive , Windows 11 Pro 64bit 22H2

Purpose:  Main Gaming System, General use,  Word Processing, Multimedia, and various other tasks

2nd System:   HP Omen 15_ce019dx   Intel I7 7700HQ,  Intel UHD 630/and Nvidia Geforce 1050TI 4Gb, 8GB of DDR Ram,  128GB M.2 NvMe boot drive, 1TB storage, Windows 10 Home 21H2

Purpose:   Secondary Gaming machine for older games,  backup to Main System to run the games it can still,  General Web browsing, Email, music listening, etc

3rd System:  HP P6-2133W Desktop,   AMD A6-3620 APU,  8GB of Ram,  1tb Hard drive, Windows 10 21H2

General browsing, emailing, and light multimedia tasks depending on what it's capable of running

• Like 1

Three in total...

-Primary PC (desktop)...

-ASUS motherboard (had it since May 2012, which is the longest I ever used a primary PC for as my previous record would have been 6 years and 2 months(March 2006 until May 2012))

-i5-3550 CPU (only been in use since I bought it used for $20 on Ebay in the year 2020 as prior to this was a i3-2120 from May 2012 until then. I am using my i3-2120 heatsink/fan combo on the i5-3550 and am currently undervolting the CPU by -0.120v which shaves off about 12c off peak temps)

-Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU

-16GB of RAM (DDR3 1600Mhz)

-Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (had it since May 2015 and currently is at 25.78TBW. the drive is officially rated for 75TBW but will likely go well beyond that. in short, this won't wear out anytime soon as ill probably get at least another 10-20+ years out of it assuming it only fails from writing data to it)

-Seasonic 520watt PSU (this will be 10 years old in Nov 2022 and I leave my primary PC on pretty much all of the time. this is hands down the longest lasting PSU I ever owned as typically in the past a fair amount of PSU's I owned would fail within about a year or so after warranty end (and pretty much all of my past PSU's are 3 year warranties although at least one was a 2 year warranty). but this current Seasonic PSU, next month will be 5 years past the warranty end date)

-Currently three internal hard drives... 6TB/5TB/4TB (and the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD mentioned above).

my primary PC is basically used for general usage as I would say that typically the most demanding task I do is gaming (which I run through Wine/Lutris/GloriousEggroll runner for Lutris combination on about the 6+ games I play/replay here and there). I leave this PC on pretty much all of the time. I would say I reboot it roughly once or twice a month. currently I got 9 days and 6 hours of uptime.

-Backup PC (desktop) | Athlon X2 3600+/Radeon 5670 512MB/4GB of RAM etc = the ASUS motherboard in this is the first PC I basically built in March 2006. but the CPU/RAM/GPU is newer than what it originally was on since it was a single core and is currently dual core (overclocked from 2.0GHz to 2.3GHz) and RAM is maxed out and GPU is good enough for how old it is. hell, the primary reason I upgraded the CPU/GPU to what's in it now is for the game Mafia II (2010) back when that was basically new. but nowadays that dual core CPU pays off since single cores are quite weak at this point in time. this would become my primary PC if my main PC dies, at least short term. I suspect for general day-to-day use it would be passable as I would mainly worry about lack of RAM since it's limited to 4GB of RAM, but I am hoping by putting in a SSD that would off-set the lack of RAM. but until I am forced in this situation, I won't know how this plays out for sure since I don't expect to put a SSD in this anytime soon. but if the laptop I have below dies, it's SSD would shift to this.

-Laptop (backup) | (HP2000) AMD E-300/8GB of RAM etc = while it might see a little internet use from time-to-time, I would say the most beneficial thing for me is occasional use connected to a larger TV through it's HDMI port to play back video like movies and the like. overall I would say this is my worst of the three on lack of CPU power alone as other than that it would not be a bad machine.

All running Linux Mint (currently the two desktops are on Mint 21.0-Xfce(supported until April 2027) and the laptop is on Mint 20.3-Xfce (supported until April 2025)). in fact, my backup desktop cannot run any Windows newer than Windows 7 (Win10 32bit installs but it's unstable and 64bit won't even install due to lack of nx-bit basically which means Linux is pretty much a must on this) and while my laptop can run Windows 10, it's too slow as it uses too many CPU resources which makes Mint overall smoother. my primary PC can run Windows 10 well, but I switched over to Mint in Jan 2019. only time I occasionally use Windows is through a virtual machine basically but even that's quite limited since pretty much everything I do works good enough on Linux.

p.s. as a general rule though... I avoid laptops since screen is smaller, not as comfortable to type on/use, and generally less powerful than desktops etc (especially in my laptops case where even general use is fairly annoyingly slow). even the one I do have I got for barely any $. then did a small upgrade to RAM (2GB to 8GB) and put in a SSD (Intel 545s 128GB SSD). I figure even if this dies, or if I used my backup desktop more regularly (or if my main PC's Samsung SSD dies), it will be easy to pull the SSD from it if I need to and put it into something else.

• Like 1

Couch computer: (Primary 4 monitor workstation) Where I do most of my remote support work

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core 3.70 Ghz
32GB Ram
WD Black NVME 1TB

Computer behind TV (for showing my security camera above my TV, recently replaced the laptop I had back there with a low-powered Prodesk

Intel Pentium J3710 (6.5 Watts)

4GB Ram

64GB SSD

Security Cam Computer: Records the security footage

Intel Celeron J3455
8GB Ram

1TB HDD

128GB SSD

QuickBooks Laptop : This is my QuickBooks laptop, it sits on a shelf and is accessed locally over RDP or remotely over tailscales over RDP. It never goes on the internet, just does Quickbooks
Intel Core i7-455U
8GB Ram
250GB SSD

Basement workstation : This computer is on my basement computer I use when I have customers in my office, also a prodesk

Intel i5-4590T

8GB Ram

500GB SSD

Theater PC; A computer I have in my theater, it's hooked up to receiver and a projector to give me a 140-inch screen
Intel i3-8145U

12GB Ram
250GB SSD

Voice Mail Server: Intel Nuc, it's main purpose is to record the caller ID info or the people who call and email it to me, that's it.
Intel Celeron 847
4GB Ram

64GB SSD

File Server: This computer has 6 hard drives and is my file server

Pentium J3710

8GB Ram

6 hard drives, and 1 128GB SSD Boot drive

Emby Server at my GF's house: Runs her emby server also a HP Prodesk
Core i3-4130T
8GB Ram

128GB SSD

Laptop at GF"s house - The laptop I use at my gf's house
Intel Core i3-7100U

16GB Ram

256GB SSD

Spare laptop in my car - This one I use when I go on service calls, or if the one at my gf's house happens to crap out on me.

Intel Core i3-6100U

12GB Ram

250 GB SSD

Macbook Pro: Another spare laptop I keep up to date in case I need it, it runs windows 10.
Intel Core i7-2860QM
8GB Ram

250GB SSD

27 inch iMac: I have this one sitting on a desk, I sometimes use it to record how to videos as it has practically nothing on it.

Intel Core i7-2600
16GB Ram

1TB HDD

250 GB SSD

Rasberry Pi 3: Found this cheap at thrift store, it currently runs my tailscale

HP Ultrabook : I carry this one around in a travel backpack when I leave the house, incase I need it.

Intel Core i7-8550U

8GB Ram

500GB SSD

Gaming Computer : I call it my gaming computer, but it's pretty weak, has a decent i7 but a geforce 1030 .. had it at my gf's house to play games on as I would be there working from her house once every 2 weeks

Intel core i7-4770

16GB Ram

1TB HDD

250GB HDD 

Geforce GT 1030

Brix: This is my old couch computer, I turn it on once a month to update it just incase my couch computer take a crap I can quickly bring it back into service.

Intel Core i7-4770R

16GB Ram

1TB SSD.

I think.....that pretty much does it. This does not include the 20+ spare laptops I've gotten from customers that they didn't want to fix, that I have stacked in my washroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few.

My PC --for work

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

16 GB AMD 6800XT GPU

128GB DDR-3600

2TB Gigabyte PCIe gen4 drive

1TB WD Black PCIe gen4 drive

1TB Samsung 970 Evo PCIe gen3 drive

8TB WD Gold Mechanical drive

Mac-- for work

Apple M1 Pro 16in

16GB ram

1TB SSD

Windows laptop --for work

AMD 6950HS Creators Edition

4GB Nvidia 3050 GPU

32 GB DDR5

1TB SSD

Windows laptop --spare

Intel 11th gen i7-1195G7

16 GB DDR4

2TB WD 970 Evo Plus drive

Wife's machine --for work and games

Intel i7-11700

Geforce 3060Ti

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

Daughter's machine --for games

Intel i7-11700

Geforce 3060Ti

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

Various other machines

Intel i7-12700 --for games

Geforce 3060

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1 TB Mechanical drive

AMD 1800X --server

Geforce 1070

32GB DDR4

500GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

AMD 1700X --spare

AMD RX580(?)

32GB DDR4

500GB SSD

1TB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

• Like 1

Dell Laptop - primary use PC

Intel Nuc, - Linux desktop for when I need Linux

Mac Mini - cause I have to support that crap ecosystem sometimes.

Intel Nuc - Plex Server

rPi 3 - VPN server

Synology NAS - file store, and various Dockerised systems

Shield pro - media playback

• Like 1

MAIN PC: Gigabyte B450M DS3H | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Kingston HyperX DDR4 8GB | AMD Radeon RX580
While I didn't need anything special, the graphics card does make a racket when playing Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo.  But it's still too new to look at selling / getting new stuff.

HTPC: MSI MPG z390m Gaming Edge | Intel i5 9500 | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB
Got this for some specific connections - way over powered for what I need as a media server, serving a grand total of one person at a time!  Then found I didn't need the connections in the end anyway!

Surface RT: 16GB

Yep, first gen Surface RT.  Use it's piddily size to watch films on long journeys.

Lenovo YOGA 2 Pro: With in-built projector!
Got this specifically so we could project on to our wall and watch things in bed before we got a TV in our room.
But now we have a TV on the wall, it's demoted to use on planes (which we do perhaps once every 4/5 years).  Problem is, nobody is going to pay £50+ so it's not worth selling - sits in the drawer until we want to use it.  Maybe I'll revisit selling it as I miss the USB connector so getting stuff on it needs a PC.  Another Surface would probably be good as they're pretty thin, but got burned by the RT thing.

Fire HD Kids 8: For the kids.
I can barely work this even though I have an Android phone but it's good for our 3 year old to watch stuff, drawer and play educational games.

• 3 weeks later...

3 at present

Pc 1 is my server,

Pc 2 is my "lan" rig I use this for attending lan events and it's mostly full of games. It has the below specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x

Asus Rog Strix b550-e

32gb 3600mhz ram

Nvidia 3080FE

Pc 3 is main rig that I use for work, and when I'm at home, it has the below specs:

Ryzen 9 5900x

Asus Rog Crosshair Hero x570 

32gb 3600mhz ram

Nvidia 3090fe

5 total.  Currently in the middle of a refresh (building a new desktop and repurposing others).

Current setup/purpose.

1) Dell XPS 9570 notebook.  Pretty much my daily computer.
2) Some cheap ASUS notebook.  Just a backup.  Turn it on every now and then to keep software updated.

3) Desktop (gaming/work ... an emergency build when my previous desktop croaked).
i7-11700k
Gigabyte Z590 AORUS PRO AX
32GB memory
Gigabyte 3080 Ti XTREME 12G

4) HTPC (movies/music)
i5-4460
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
8GB memory

5) FreeNAS (backup for desktop/notebook/HTPC).
Some old AMD Sempron setup

After refresh (waiting delivery)

-Desktop
i7-13700k
Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ULTRA
32GB memory
Gigabyte 3080 Ti XTREME 12G

-HTPC ("old" desktop w/ different motherboard - case only supports mATX/ITX)
i7-11700k
Gigabyte Z590I AORUS ULTRA
32GB memory

-TrueNAS (old HTPC)
i5-4460
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
16GB memory

In the household 6 PC/Laptop/Tablet all running various iterations of Windows

• Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16Gb ram, RTX2070, 500GB NVME, 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 650GB HDD, 240GB SSD (Linux partition running Kubuntu). ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII x570- Windows 11 22H2 (self built) - main Gaming rig, surfing, etc
  • Secondary Laptop - Acer Nitro 15-45. 16GB Ram, RTX3070(m), Ryzen 7 5800H APU, came with 1TB NVME but since upgraded with extra 1TB SSD & spare 240GB SSD (games only installed on NVME drives, windows on SSD) - Windows 11 22H2 - Secondary gaming for trips away (when chilling in the evening) and when visiting family and have nothing to do in the evenings!)
  • Media PC - Gigabyte B450 DS3H, Ryzen 3 3200G APU, 8GB RAM, 256GB NVME, Blu-Ray optical drive, SoundBlaster X card, (optical link to LG Z906 5.1 sound system) - watching films, streaming etc - hooked up to TV in lounge.
  • Lenovo Laptop - wife's work laptop spec unknown - has literally just been given this from work in the last few days!
  • Wifes Day to Day - HP Pavillion 15, Intel i5-8300H, 12GB Ram (recently upgraded from its base of 4GB!) 1TB HDD, Intel Optane 16gb NVME Memory for storage acceleration (which will be removed and replaced with a larger NVME drive), GTX1050(m). Used mainly for day to day admin, surfing etc, and a little bit of gaming (Sims 4......)
  • Asus 2 in 1 Tablet - Asus Transformer Mini T102 - Intel Atom x5-Z8350, 64GB eMMC storage (uses micro-SD slot for extra storage upto 256GB). Only used now and again for stuff out of the house.

Very diverse range of PC's/Laptops and uses I think.

Main PC: Windows 10 22H2 (built in 2019) Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro, i9-9990K, 32GB, RTX 2070 SUPER, 2x NVMe 1TB, 1x SSD 870 QVO 2TB

Main Laptop: Windows 10 21H2 (bought in 2017) HP Pavilion x360 m3-u103dx (i5-7250U, 8GB)

Secondary Laptop: macOS Monterey (bought second hand 2022) MacBook Pro A1502, Early 2015 Core i5 I5-5257U 8GB Retina (just use this for farting around on macOS)

Synology NAS DS720+: file backup local LAN + remotely to Google & OneDrive, Plex Server, Emby Server, PiHole

Shield Pro - Media playback for non transcoded 4K with E-AC3 and/or TruAudio

Primary two-monitor setup, which is slowly starting to show its age. I use it to work and play Forza, Minecraft, and Snowrunner.

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • 16GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB
  • 500GB Samsung 980 SSD
  • A metric ton of be quiet fans and other components
  • Logitech MX Keys + Logitech MX Master 3 I upgraded with silent switches

HP Pavilion 14 x360 Laptop for backup, experiments with preview builds, plus I need it in case I need to scram due to the war:

• 11th Gen Intel Core i3
  • 16GB RAM
  • 500GB Samsung SSD

iPad Air 4 - count this as computer, it helped me to do my work when hiding in basements from russian bombs

• Sad 1

7 in total.

3 office computers... 2 workstations for CAD. 1 basic PC

Synology NAS DJ414

PC in lounge, not really a HTPC but use it for general browsing and maybe the odd game of world of Tanks.

Wife's PC, mainly used for World of Warcraft.

Son's Computer gaming etc

Daughter's computer, rarely used as she doesn't live here much.

Was just wondering what people's electricity usage is? our current meter readings suggest we are using over 20kWh per day, this seems extraordinarily high to me!

Pete

Upgraded my main PC (used for Planet Zoo):

MSI Z690-A Pro
Intel i5 12600K
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070#
1 x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe (split 50/50 - OS and Games)
1 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe (will be split into up to 4 partitions - downloads, ready for archiving, stuff to sort out and documents).

Debating whether to put in a 500GB Samsung SSD and using that for Documents instead.  Not sure I'd really notice the speed difference when reading and writing photos / videos.

• 1 month later...

I have 1 laptop lenovo brands G50 and i used for it seo working 

it have 4gb ram 325 rom 

hard disk in their 

its a intel i3 (4)generation

and this time i only used for it my web desinging help of html.

and for fun like movies

have my core core i7 -10700 16gig ram rtx2060 and about 20Tb of drives in it

runs my plex server and is my gaming rig and fileserver all in one

my other is my old trusty core i7 4770k 16gig ram and gtx 760 - that mainly for the kids to mess around with 

• 2 months later...
On 30/10/2022 at 12:23, treker_ed said:

In the household 6 PC/Laptop/Tablet all running various iterations of Windows

• Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 16Gb ram, RTX2070, 500GB NVME, 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 650GB HDD, 240GB SSD (Linux partition running Kubuntu). ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII x570- Windows 11 22H2 (self built) - main Gaming rig, surfing, etc
  • Secondary Laptop - Acer Nitro 15-45. 16GB Ram, RTX3070(m), Ryzen 7 5800H APU, came with 1TB NVME but since upgraded with extra 1TB SSD & spare 240GB SSD (games only installed on NVME drives, windows on SSD) - Windows 11 22H2 - Secondary gaming for trips away (when chilling in the evening) and when visiting family and have nothing to do in the evenings!)
  • Media PC - Gigabyte B450 DS3H, Ryzen 3 3200G APU, 8GB RAM, 256GB NVME, Blu-Ray optical drive, SoundBlaster X card, (optical link to LG Z906 5.1 sound system) - watching films, streaming etc - hooked up to TV in lounge.
  • Lenovo Laptop - wife's work laptop spec unknown - has literally just been given this from work in the last few days!
  • Wifes Day to Day - HP Pavillion 15, Intel i5-8300H, 12GB Ram (recently upgraded from its base of 4GB!) 1TB HDD, Intel Optane 16gb NVME Memory for storage acceleration (which will be removed and replaced with a larger NVME drive), GTX1050(m). Used mainly for day to day admin, surfing etc, and a little bit of gaming (Sims 4......)
  • Asus 2 in 1 Tablet - Asus Transformer Mini T102 - Intel Atom x5-Z8350, 64GB eMMC storage (uses micro-SD slot for extra storage upto 256GB). Only used now and again for stuff out of the house.

Very diverse range of PC's/Laptops and uses I think.

Have recently updated my main rig. Now as follows:

Asus B650E-E Gaming WiFi Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 7600x (AM5) Processor

Asus TUF RTX 3070 8gb

Noctua NU-12A chroma.black air cooler

32GB (2x16) DDR 5 RAM

(Plus extra sata controller for 2 X optical drives as new motherboard has less data connections than the old one!) All SSD etc transferred to new rig. Ah yes, also had to replace PSU... so have gone with Thermaltake GF1 850w fully modular unit. More than I needed, but with a little headroom.

Five total computers (not counting mine at work):

Primary- iMac 2022- 2 TB drive 16 GB RAM for main home computer

Second- Windows 10- 2 TB drive 32 GB RAM for back-up

Third- Linux Xubuntu to help with my Linux fix. Love this one!

Fourth- Macbook Pro for travel. Love this one too!

Fifth- Windows 10 2 TB drive (at a summer place we go often)

I had a server at one point, but shut that down (using NAS instead)

Actually I love them all. I am a University Professor and have lots of online classes, grading, and Zoom conferences. I need them all at one point or another.

• Like 2

On 03/10/2022 at 12:42, adrynalyne said:

A few.

My PC --for work

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

16 GB AMD 6800XT GPU

128GB DDR-3600

2TB Gigabyte PCIe gen4 drive

1TB WD Black PCIe gen4 drive

1TB Samsung 970 Evo PCIe gen3 drive

8TB WD Gold Mechanical drive

Mac-- for work

Apple M1 Pro 16in

16GB ram

1TB SSD

Windows laptop --for work

AMD 6950HS Creators Edition

4GB Nvidia 3050 GPU

32 GB DDR5

1TB SSD

Windows laptop --spare

Intel 11th gen i7-1195G7

16 GB DDR4

2TB WD 970 Evo Plus drive

Wife's machine --for work and games

Intel i7-11700

Geforce 3060Ti

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

Daughter's machine --for games

Intel i7-11700

Geforce 3060Ti

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

Various other machines

Intel i7-12700 --for games

Geforce 3060

32GB DDR4

500 GB SSD

1 TB Mechanical drive

AMD 1800X --server

Geforce 1070

32GB DDR4

500GB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

AMD 1700X --spare

AMD RX580(?)

32GB DDR4

500GB SSD

1TB SSD

1TB Mechanical drive

Added a new machine:

16in MBP

M2 Max

96GB RAM

2TB SSD

Five computers:

1) Home-personal-gaming-work: 2021 desktop build PC: Asus MB, Core i7 11700, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 2080 RTX, and a 27” Dell Ultrasharp QHD display

2) Mobile-work: 2021 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3, Core i7 10750H, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 4K IPS Display, 1650 GTX

Both running Windows 11 Pro since November 2022.

3) Mobile-personal-work: 2022 Apple MacBook Pro 14” with M1 Pro, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Monterrey. Planning to install it on a second desktop in my home office with an external display, keyboard and mouse. I am in a transition process to be a full time Mac user. Planning to not buy another Windows PC ever again.

For gaming, also I have a Xbox Series X connected to two 2021 Sony A80J (OLED) (4K 120 Hz). I have one in our living and another in our bedroom.

For road-tasks I have an M1 iPad Pro 11” with a Magic Keyboard, and a iPhone 13 Pro Max.

All devices fully synced between all with multiple apps and services (OneDrive, iCloud, 1Password, etc.).   Sometimes I need to do RDP from my Mac or my iPad to my Windows PCs, via VPN, and it works quite well.

Wife and daughter:

4) Work-only: 2022 HP 240 G8, Core i7 11th, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 15,6” (numeric keypad must-have)

5) Student: 2020 HP Pavilion 15, Ryzen 3500U, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

Both prefer to use their iPads (Air and 9th gen) as personal-gaming devices, both will Apple Pencils. Also both have Nintendo Switchs and my wife still has a 2019 iPhone 11. My daughter has 9 years old and will not have a phone until 13.

There are other several gadgets in my home. 

Edited by Jolo