New build hardware questions

So I'm building a new computer (first after 11 years, heh), and I have some questions about cooling and case suggestion.

What my build will definitively contain is :

• Processor: Intel Core i7-13700K
  • Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S or NH-D15
  • Memory: Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 64GB (2x32GB)
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG RIPTIDE
  • PSU: MSI MPG A1000G PCIE 5, 1000W
  • Storage: Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 (for boot drive)
  • 3x 3.5" HDD

Now the questions 🙂

1. Is the Noctua NH-D15S a good enough cooler for the i7-13700K. If it isn't, is the NH-D15 a good choice. If those two choices don't cut it, what will (air cooler only!)
  2. I am planning to purchase a RTX 4080 when it comes out. Can anyone confirm that my PSU will handle it (plus the rest of the hardware listed above obviously)
  3. I am planning to buy the Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB Black TG Clear Tint as my case, but I'm starting to realize it might be a bit small for the hardware listed above (including a 4080-size GPU); especially since I'm want to transfer 2-3 of my 3.5" HDD in there. If this case is indeed too small, what would you recommend.
  4. Looking at my motherboard specs, I am planning to shove my HDD in the Hyper SDD slot (not the Blazing since this is going to chomp on the PCIE1 slot bandwidth). The hyper slot is "bare" so not protected by an included shroud/heatsink. Considering this, am I going to need a third-party heatsink?

Also if you see anything sketchy in the specs, like incompatibility wise, let me know!

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Cheers

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. You are putting 3 3.5inch HDDs in the case?  Per the specs it only has space for 2.  Regarding the GPU...well, they aren't released yet.  It looks like this case would support that huge ASUS Strix 4090 (358mm in length) ... so I wouldn't foresee any issues with a 4080 GPU.

2.5” Drives: 2

3.5” Drives: 2

GPU Length: 267 mm ( up to 380 mm possible)

4.  Looks like using the Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1) still gives you the included heatsink.  It is directly opposite of the Blazing M.2 Socket (M2_5).  See page 6 and 41

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z790 PG Riptide_English.pdf

• Like 2

Did you buy that cooler yet @djesteban?

See, the problem with assuming things about unreleased hardware is sometimes you're wrong.  It appears that the 13th gen CPUs run a bit on the hot side.

See this review for the i5-13600k ... they used the Noctua NH-U14S which is comparable to the NH-D15S 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-13600k/23.html

toasty.  I would assume (there I go making assumptions again) that the i7-13700K will run even hotter.  Might want to consider an AIO cooler.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but just an update on this one for anyone who's curious.

So I went with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. Ran a couple of Prime95 and Intel XTU sessions and the CPU hovers in the 90-100°C but according to HWInfo, it never thermal throttled. It does seldom go positive on the Core Power Limit Exceeded when I run those types of benchmarks though, but apparently that is somewhat normal.

I also encoded a couple of "video streams" on it, and CPU temperatures fluttered around 80-95°C with a max peak at 102°C.

Also I did buy the bigger Fractal Meshify 2 XL case.

Hope that data can be useful to someone else.
Cheers

• Like 2

On 19/10/2022 at 04:07, djesteban said:

I am planning to purchase a RTX 4080 when it comes out. Can anyone confirm that my PSU will handle it (plus the rest of the hardware listed above obviously)

Have you already purchased the 4080? Reviews show it has really poor value for the current prices.

On 18/10/2022 at 18:37, djesteban said:

So I'm building a new computer (first after 11 years, heh)

Mine will be 11 years in May 2023 and, short of hardware failure, I won't be dumping my motherboard (and general setup) anytime soon.

just curious, what was the CPU in your PC that's 11 years old?

p.s. mine did have on-board sound failure in I think it was the year 2020, but I just disabled it in the BIOS and bought one of those cheap USB sound cards with a 3.5mm jack for a easy/cheap work-around. I am hoping the motherboard lasts for many more years as I don't plan on building a new computer anytime soon if I can avoid it since my current setup (i5-3550 with 16GB of RAM and a 1050 Ti 4GB etc) is fast enough.

On 23/11/2022 at 22:37, djesteban said:

So I went with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler. Ran a couple of Prime95 and Intel XTU sessions and the CPU hovers in the 90-100°C but according to HWInfo, it never thermal throttled. It does seldom go positive on the Core Power Limit Exceeded when I run those types of benchmarks though, but apparently that is somewhat normal.

I also encoded a couple of "video streams" on it, and CPU temperatures fluttered around 80-95°C with a max peak at 102°C.

Maybe try undervolting CPU a bit to lower temps as if you go to a bit low the system will become unstable/freeze and if you go too far it might have trouble posting.

p.s. on my i5-3550 CPU I would say as a rough estimate I lower temps by 1c every -0.010v lowered. I currently am running -0.120v, so about 12c lower on full load vs when voltage is stock. -0.130v is pretty much the most i can go as I can go further but the system becomes more obviously unstable (-0.140v (which I think the PC will free on the screen within about 24 hours if I recall correctly)) and at some point (I want to say it was -0.160v off the top of my head) it has trouble getting past BIOS screen basically.

According to PC Part Picker, the only issue may be you need a mounting adapter for the HSF (they didn't have the RIPTIDE so I used the SONIC instead for now) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DKKhJM.

If you want an alternative HSF, Be Quiet! stuff is awesome. Dark Rock Pro 4 would be a nice option. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3gPH2

Edited by spikey_richie