Disney+ broke streaming on Linux

Hi everyone!

Any Disney+ subscribers on Linux? If yes, you might have noticed that streaming broke a few days ago. Once streaming should start, a black or grey screen appears, then nothing else happens. It appears that Disney+ changed their DRM, which now breaks streaming on Linux (all browsers). As a paying Disney+ subscriber which prefers Linux above anything else, I find this infuriating. So, here is a workaround: change your user agent to Windows (it's unfortunate, I know. But it's better than having to switch to Windows). There are different ways to do this. For Chrome I chose to download the User-Agent Switcher and Manager extension and configure as follows:

Enjoy!

They didn't change their drm, that's the annoying part.  It's the same drm integrated into every browser.  The operating system has nothing to do with making that drm work, but we're blocked anyway.  Also, amazon only gives me 480p on linux.  No reason really.

On 30/10/2022 at 16:30, Neyht said:

They didn't change their drm, that's the annoying part.  It's the same drm integrated into every browser.  The operating system has nothing to do with making that drm work, but we're blocked anyway.  Also, amazon only gives me 480p on linux.  No reason really.

I stand corrected. I thought it was DRM related (that's what I found when doing a quick google search). But after doing further reading, it appears we're just blocked by user agent for an unknown reason.

On 30/10/2022 at 11:57, Raphaël G. said:

I stand corrected. I thought it was DRM related (that's what I found when doing a quick google search). But after doing further reading, it appears we're just blocked by user agent for an unknown reason.

It's them Russians, I tell ye..

• Like 1

On 30/10/2022 at 12:57, Raphaël G. said:

Great, so this probably only a temp solution for something that will break permanently in the future.

It's a white list, not a black list.  They did it to prevent stream ripping.  They're not targeting Linux specifically, they just didn't add the 65535 variants of Linux to the white list.