Gmail import multiple contacts files into separate folders

Question

What's the trick to importing multiple contacts lists onto separate labels?

I want my Gmail address contacts imported into the folder labeled "Contacts" .

I want phone contacts in a folder labeled "Phone Contacts ."

I don't want both lists mixed in with each other.

No matter what I try, it only allows me to have either a Gmail address folder or a Phone contacts folder, or a folder with the combined contacts.

Which folder is the default for email addresses? Contacts, correct?

4 answers to this question

Are you trying to use folders or labels? Where are you doing the importing?

If I go to Google Contacts website and try importing contacts, it lets me select which label to apply. Also you could just import all contacts at once and fix the labels afterwards.

Here's what mine currently looks like

CONTACTS.png

The Contacts folder has identical content to the Email Addresses folder.

The Phone Contacts folder, which is intended for my exported phone contacts, consisting of over 700 items, is empty, because if I import them, they will also be integrated into my Contacts folder. 

Every time I want to send a message, I don't want to have to scroll thru over 800 names to find what I'm looking for.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  That's why I'm here.  I've tried, but I either can't figure it out, or it can't be done.

Ok so all contacts under the labels EMAIL ADDRESSES and PHONE CONTACTS will also appear under the general Contacts list (top item). This is normal. EMAIL ADDRESSES and PHONE CONTACTS are labels not folders. Meaning contacts can appear under multiple labels.

However you can have separate contacts between the EMAIL ADDRESSES and PHONE CONTACTS labels. Just make sure to select the right label when importing. Also double-check the contacts and make sure they weren't assigned to both labels. If necessary, you can use checkboxes to select multiple contacts and change their labels.

• Like 1

ok, so I'm dumb.  I didn't realize there was a drop down menu to select your lists 🥵  I just thought, by default, when selecting "To",  you were taken directly to the "My Contacts" list. 

Thanks!!