FIFA 2022 Qatar World Cup

So the 2022 FIFA World Cup starts today as all football fans as well as non-fans are probably well aware. Tell us which nation(s) you are rooting for, who are your favorite players, and who has the best chances to lift the trophy?

Here is a nice promo video made by the Bleacher Report:

On 21/11/2022 at 17:39, SidVicious said:

Let's see England kick Iran's ass today.

They just did :D

On 21/11/2022 at 18:42, spikey_richie said:

I understand but I am also looking at the positive side of things

On 21/11/2022 at 07:12, spikey_richie said:

To be fair, this is a meaningless stat.  It was quite a ranking mismatch.  #44 Ecuador vs #50 Qatar.  Honestly Qatar has no business being ranked nearly that high.
Back in 2010, it was an upset when South Africa beat France, but France was terrible that year.

Besides these two years, the World Cup has been hosted by powerhouse football nations ranked #20 or higher.

Edited by Astra.Xtreme
  • Like 1

If we just discuss the football, England vs Iran game was entertaining and how Harry Maguire is still allowed to start I do not understand, he makes far too many defensive mistakes, like he switches off. I think he is far too interested in getting forward than to be a good defender, and commentators seem to be far too apologetic for him, like he should have the chance to redeem himself at every international.

Result 6-2

Anyway, on to Netherlands vs Senegal, Senegal are ranked two places higher than Iran but The Netherlands look like they are playing France or Brazil half the time. Not entertaining, hope the game opens up in the second half.

First half score 0-0.

On 21/11/2022 at 16:46, spikey_richie said:

6-2 is a great result, especially when Iran rank 20th https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13792

That last penalty was questionable. 

Yes! England wasn't given one for the bear hug and drag down in the first half? That was far worse than sticking out an arm behind yourself and the Iranian player going down like a sack of potatoes!

• Like 1

On 21/11/2022 at 22:23, Steven P. said:

Senegal are ranked two places higher than Iran but The Netherlands look like they are playing France or Brazil half the time. Not entertaining, hope the game opens up in the second half.

really disappointing from the Dutch so far. I am rooting for them this time alongside Brazil and Japan. 😄

Super young USA team this year with huge swings of inconsistency.  They can beat Mexico, but can't beat Canada or Costa Rica.  I'm definitely nervous.
This first match against Wales is probably a make or break for them.  Doubtful they'll put up a good fight against England.

• Like 2

USA lucky to come away with a point.  They'll either need to pound Iran or hope to not get pounded by England.  Goal differential is going to be vitally important.