Microsoft 365 Business - way too much spam filtering

Question

At my business we've been using Rackspace for years and they just had a security incident and have been down almost a week. So, I made a switch to Microsoft 365 for business with the hosted exchange. All is working great EXCEPT the spam filter is WAY too aggressive. Almost all of my customer's emails are going into my Outlook junk mail folder. How do I manage these spam settings? They used to be easy to find at Rackspace and I don't see anything within Outlook and I can't find anything in the 365 Admin center.

6 answers to this question

On 07/12/2022 at 14:02, BritBronco said:

check out Exchange admin center (microsoft.com)

You can add rules there. You can also right click the mail in outlook and select dont block this domain or sender

image.png.b5df3f56ba679aeceeb867ee9912c1e4.png

I know I can right click and "do not block" but I'm having to do that with almost every customer. When I was on Rackspace, it actually only moved spam and almost never real emails.

I thought there must be controls somewhere for the boxes in my new 365 account with different levels of junk filtering. It's ridiculous.

On 07/12/2022 at 15:29, BritBronco said:

log into the admin site and go to the admin exchange center, link is above, should be able to add the rules there to apply to everyone.

I looked all over there and couldn't figure it out. There must be rules already because LOTS of emails are being sent to junk.

On a side note - I was trying out the "try new outlook" when all of these were going to junk. I wonder if that web based client has super strong junk filtering...

https://security.microsoft.com
Go to
Policies and Rules
Then to
Threat Policies

Create a new policy and set it how you like, I don't like to mess with the defaults - make a new one and set it as a higher priority
If you are quarantining stuff you will also need to create a policy which sets the alerting for the end users and choose what they can and can't release.

I assume you only have the basic EOP? Not the Defender for O365 packages which have advanced anti-phish etc

But it is worth learning how to use it rather than just turning stuff off, TBH out the box it's pretty good and if stuff is being filtered it may be being filtered for a reason (spoofed, bad DKIM, bad SPF etc)

There is a new security default AS setting which I've not really looked at yet.

Don't mess with the AS features of Exchange itself, use the EOP settings in the security portal.

• Like 2