OneDrive Configuration

Question

Hello, OneDrive is something I have really not used before. I now am trying to setup for a friend but noticed an issue that perhaps someone could possibly help with.

Once I got it installed I did want it to automatically sync/backup files without my friend doing anything. I see when you first set this up it takes Desktop, Documents and Pictures to sync but it moves them from their original locations and places them under the OneDrive folder inside the user profile folder.

I can't have that. Is there a way to do this without having those folders being moved? I'm asking this because she uses Quicken and the files are stored in Documents. If that is moved then it wont find the file to open. I'm trying to keep everything the same and simple for her.

if this cannot be done, is there another way?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

On 05/02/2023 at 19:04, flynempire said:

Hello, OneDrive is something I have really not used before. I now am trying to setup for a friend but noticed an issue that perhaps someone could possibly help with.

Once I got it installed I did want it to automatically sync/backup files without my friend doing anything. I see when you first set this up it takes Desktop, Documents and Pictures to sync but it moves them from their original locations and places them under the OneDrive folder inside the user profile folder.

I can't have that. Is there a way to do this without having those folders being moved? I'm asking this because she uses Quicken and the files are stored in Documents. If that is moved then it wont find the file to open. I'm trying to keep everything the same and simple for her.

if this cannot be done, is there another way?

Thanks

Move the files and hardlink the locations. (I'm not sure how to do this under windows, but the linux equivalant is ln -s )

Thank you very much for your feedback. Ill look at the link, don't know about hard links. I can say that she will only be using OneDrive with her laptop and no other device. OneDrive is just another backup for her apart from an external drive she is backing up to now. All changes done one the desktop not at OneDrive.

Edited by flynempire