Upgrading Win 7 to 10 -

Question

Running Win 7. Advised to go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to get 10, but still unable to do the upgrade.

I proceed as advised and get "Media creation tool 22H2.exe - unable to run. Support error code 0x80072F8F - 0x2000."
I have an admin account created years ago to download software, but this also didn't work to run the downloaded media tool. 

They say "A downloadable ISO file can also be used instead of the tool to install Win 10," but I do not see how to get this file.

Tempted to keep using Win 7 but according to you experts system security is compromised if I do. 

What purpose does it serve Microsoft to make this upgrade difficult? 

9 answers to this question

Assuming your hardware supports Windows 10, what I would do in your situation is... get a hold of a official Win7 x64 Pro SP1 ISO (SHA-1 = "0bcfc54019ea175b1ee51f6d2b207a3d14dd2b58" ; en-us (English USA) version) and use that to clean install, 'activate' Win7, then use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade to Win10 (which will give you Win10 Pro), once it's activated, just use a official Win10 ISO (which you can download with the Media Creation Tool) and then clean install (i.e. wipe hard drive and install Win10 from scratch) and you are done. a little time consuming but worth it.

I would not even bother trying to fix your current install.

p.s. but if your computer does not like Win10 for whatever reason, depending on what you do on your computer, Linux might be a good alternative. it's possible to get a hold of a up to date Win7 ISO as of Jan 2023 using 'Integrate7' script from 'wkeller' (ISO size is about 2.1GB bigger than stock official SP1 ISO from Microsoft from the year 2011. you still need the official ISO to use this script to create a updated ISO of Win7 which is, like I was saying, about 2.1GB larger than official stock SP1 ISO) which is what I did not long ago so I could use Win7 on a old computer I have in certain use cases even though I generally use Linux Mint on it (Mint on SSD where as Win7 is on a old 80GB IDE HDD). that Integrate7 script also removes junk from Win7 as a bonus.

also, while I am not recommending it, I don't think using Win7 online is a outright bad idea because the weakest link would be the web browser and as long as that remains secure (or secure enough) then continuing to use Win7 for a while online probably ain't all that bad as long as you can still get browser updates like usual which I think Firefox still does. so as long as you are careful on what you allow to run on your Win7 computer it might remain 'secure enough' for a while to come, especially if you get updates to Jan 2023 which appears to be truly the end for Win7 security updates since it appears Microsoft has fully dropped support in jan 2023 even though officially Jan 2020 was the end for the common person.

Edited by ThaCrip

obviously, what is happening is not normal. Most go off without a hitch. You have an Windows 7 install that's been around the block a few times so there could be something in that installation causing an issue.

Take a look at this thread

Media Creation Tool - error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000 - Microsoft Community

it's talked about it there.

On 07/02/2023 at 13:00, Warwagon said:

obviously, what is happening is not normal. Most go off without a hitch. You have an Windows 7 install that's been around the block a few times so there could be something in that installation causing an issue.

Take a look at this thread

Media Creation Tool - error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000 - Microsoft Community

it's talked about it there.

It looks like Warwagon has pointed you in the right direction but another option is if you know anyone with a Windows 10/11 machine to use their computer to create your installation media.

I would highly suggest you back up your data and take an inventory of what 3rd software you are using and do a CLEAN install of Windows 10 and not upgrade from Windows 7. Are you using a HDD? I would take this opportunity before installing Windows 10 to switch to a SSD if possible. You will notice a huge difference.

Do not continue to use Windows 7. You don't need to be an "expert" to understand running an supported OS is just stupid.

On 07/02/2023 at 19:45, Howard Davis said:

They say "A downloadable ISO file can also be used instead of the tool to install Win 10," but I do not see how to get this file.

You can download ISO from this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

On 07/02/2023 at 19:45, Howard Davis said:

What purpose does it serve Microsoft to make this upgrade difficult? 

To persuade to do clean install instead or to consider buying newer computer.

On 07/02/2023 at 17:49, PriitU said:

You can download ISO from this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

To persuade to do clean install instead or to consider buying newer computer.

With the download site, if you do not see the option to directly download the ISO, you may have to switch you browser identity. Forcing the browser to show as Safari (i usually use the Mac version identifier) and refreshing the page should allow you to see the options for the ISO downloads.

There is something wrong with your windows 7 Installation. As someone said reinstall windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10.  I am sure with new installation not many things can go wrong.