Browsers Being Forced Down Our Throats is Getting Out of Hand

At least that's just a pop up. MS forces Edge and Bing use even when the user chooses other options.

Given MS's chitty behavior that Mozilla pop up is fine. 

• Like 3

On 02/03/2023 at 22:50, foolsfolly said:

At least that's just a pop up. MS forces Edge and Bing use even when the user chooses other options.

This popped up because I chose other options. Also note that there is no stop reminding me option either.

On 03/03/2023 at 16:54, adrynalyne said:

This popped up because I chose other options.

Yeah, I get that. At least it didn't take you to Firefox against your choice of browser like MS do with Edge.

Edit: I'm not defending Mozilla. I don't even have Firefox installed. I'm simply suggesting what Mozilla is doing is minor in comparison to its competitors. 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2023 at 13:50, foolsfolly said:

not so much forced, i have chrome set as default and edge very rarely gets oppened up now

How often do you change your default browser settings? It detected a change, it gave you an option, you can choose no and move on. No biggie.

Set your machine up and use it - tinkering around constantly is like re-painting your walls every week with a different colour.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how often it comes up.

Coming up once seems fair to inform users that their default browser choice has been changed.

• Like 2

Mozilla needs to/should do this (as long as it's only once when Firefox is switched from being the default browser) since Microsoft has become so aggressive trying to insert Edge as the default browser.

On 03/03/2023 at 06:04, binaryzero said:

How often do you change your default browser settings? It detected a change, it gave you an option, you can choose no and move on. No biggie.

Set your machine up and use it - tinkering around constantly is like re-painting your walls every week with a different colour.

It will remind me again too. I switch a lot. The reason why doesn’t matter, nor should it. 

This whole ignore it and move on attitude is what got this situation where it is. 

On 03/03/2023 at 06:40, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Mozilla needs to/should do this (as long as it's only once when Firefox is switched from being the default browser) since Microsoft has become so aggressive trying to insert Edge as the default browser.

So if I go back to Firefox as my default and switch it to something else in the future, it won’t remind me again? I kinda doubt that. 

Regardless, no browser should do this, even once. If you want to ask me about defaults, do it when I launch the program. 

On 03/03/2023 at 06:17, DonC said:

I guess it depends on how often it comes up.

Coming up once seems fair to inform users that their default browser choice has been changed.

Im fine with it if it’s when I have launched and am using the application. That’s the only time it makes sense for any browser to do it. 

On 03/03/2023 at 08:49, adrynalyne said:

It will remind me again too. I switch a lot. The reason why doesn’t matter, nor should it. 

This whole ignore it and move on attitude is what got this situation where it is. 

So if I go back to Firefox as my default and switch it to something else in the future, it won’t remind me again? I kinda doubt that. 

Regardless, no browser should do this, even once. If you want to ask me about defaults, do it when I launch the program. 

I have no problem with Firefox asking if you really wanted to switch your default browser. I can see it be annoying for you but you have a very niche workflow. Why do you need to keep changing your default browser? I have had the same default browser for almost two decades now. LOL I sometimes use Chrome or Edge (depending on the device) for certain things but I just open the browser in question when need to use. This is not going to be an issue for 99.9% of people.

What's really annoying is what happened just yesterday... I opened Edge and got a full banner across the screen asking to switch my default browser. I disable every thing can find in the settings in regards to recommendations and ads and it still happens.

On 03/03/2023 at 07:27, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

I have no problem with Firefox asking if you really wanted to switch your default browser. I can see it be annoying for you but you have a very niche workflow. Why do you need to keep changing your default browser? I have had the same default for almost two decades now. LOL I sometimes use Chrome or Edge (depending on the device) for certain things but I just open that browser when need to use. This is not going to be an issue for 99.9% of people.

What's really annoying is what just happened yesterday... I opened Edge and got a full banner across the screen asking to switch my default browser. I disable every thing can find in the settings in regards to recommendations and ads and it still happens.

As a software developer, I go through phases of using different browsers and the easiest way to get my web apps to launch in them during development is to set them as the default browser. Its def. a niche workflow, but it still annoys me. I can obviously get past it and close it, but its tiresome to see these kinds of nags. Microsoft is by in far the worst, but I was surprised to see Mozilla join in on the nonsense.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 03/03/2023 at 05:50, foolsfolly said:

Yeah, but only when performing certain actions.

Re-learn your habits to get round those and it's fine.

Or just use Edge (you can select Google as the default search if you wish).  It's the same as Chrome anyway.

On 16/06/2023 at 08:03, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Or just use Edge (you can select Google as the default search if you wish).

Then Microsoft nags the sh** out of you to use Bing. I had enough. Went back to Firefox.

Hello,

Does disabling the toast notifications from the app make any difference, or are you still prompted?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 17/06/2023 at 01:54, Warwagon said:

Then Microsoft nags the sh** out of you to use Bing. I had enough. Went back to Firefox.

You know MS have gone too far when the likes of Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott are attacking Edge as spyware and malware.

Rafael posted a couple of days ago the following,

"Can we stop pretending that Edge isn't malware at this point? This cat-and-mouse game with trying to keep my personal data personal is insane. Everyone who works on Edge directly/indirectly is not your friend, and bears some responsibility. Push back"

That is extremely strong language for someone in the industry and we know Thurrott is pushing Brave browser now and describing Edge as spyware.

Microsoft, you have a problem and I'm not surprised in the slightest that Edge is actually losing desktop market share.