Microsoft Defender; what to do with it

Question

I just saw that Microsoft Defender has recently been added to my programs/software. Probably as part of Office/Microsoft 365.
I haven't signed in, because I read that "triggered" the app to work.

What's the advantage of this program? Will it be a paid option eventually?

I do have ESET Internet Security. So what's the use of this extra piece of software (bloatware?). Will it conflict? It seems like I cannot install it. I can prevent it - via Taskmanager - from starting up.

What to do?

14 answers to this question

On 28/03/2023 at 13:02, Jim K said:

Doesn't Defender/Security disable its real time scan when a third party AV (like ESET) is installed?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-off-defender-antivirus-protection-in-windows-security-99e6004f-c54c-8509-773c-a4d776b77960

It kinda of looks the world upside down... Microsoft is installing software I don't need. And I, myself, need to go into the settings to turn it off. Most users don't even know this setting exists.

Anyhow, it looks like ESET is still running.

image.png

This Defender-y thinf is different though:

image.png.3ae0d0f303df0fd7575052cf83f5d904.png

Uninstall it. I did the second I saw it. Not even interested. Didn't even launch it. I curse Microsoft for force installing yet more craplets and yet another reason to be shot of Windows to my increasingly long list.

I's another data mining and telemetry gathering exercise. It's about forcing people into a cloud model and paying for security services while they sell data to third party partners - hell the thing is bundled with integrations with Experian and the wholly invented world of "credit reference" and related horse feed. That means they want to know exactly who is using their nonsense, where they are, what they are doing and such up as much info about you as they possibly can drip feed into your Bing profiling.

Edited by C:Amie

On 28/03/2023 at 02:40, Dick Montage said:

Lol @ bloatware - defender is a fine AV solution and I personally prefer it.

Microsoft Defender, not be confused with Windows Defender, is just a monitoring tool unless they have added to it recently. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2023 at 04:02, Jim K said:

Doesn't Defender/Security disable its real time scan when a third party AV (like ESET) is installed?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-off-defender-antivirus-protection-in-windows-security-99e6004f-c54c-8509-773c-a4d776b77960

Microsoft Defender isn't antivirus.

MS Defender is pretty much a security reporting tool for Microsoft 365 customers. 

It lets you know if your antivirus is out of date or disabled on your devices.  It's basically the same screen that is in Windows Defender, but you can hook your phone up to it as well. 

On 28/03/2023 at 16:50, Joe User said:

MS Defender is pretty much a security reporting tool for Microsoft 365 customers. 

It lets you know if your antivirus is out of date or disabled on your devices.  It's basically the same screen that is in Windows Defender, but you can hook your phone up to it as well. 

Why isn't this an optional update? Maybe a pop-up screen like "Hey, would you like to have this?" Instead.... it just installs with no reason and without consent [sure, it's written somewhere in the T&C]. And keeps nagging users to use it.

On 28/03/2023 at 09:54, kiddingguy said:

Why isn't this an optional update? Maybe a pop-up screen like "Hey, would you like to have this?" Instead.... it just installs with no reason and without consent [sure, it's written somewhere in the T&C]. And keeps nagging users to use it.

Because it's part of the security system included in Microsoft 365 and making it opt-in only would defeat the purpose of having a security system.  

On 28/03/2023 at 09:54, kiddingguy said:

because nagging and silently installing things is all Microsoft knows how to do anymore ....

On 28/03/2023 at 10:54, kiddingguy said:

Yep, every app that comes with Windows was installed at some point without you consent. LOL  Don't want it? Don't use it or uninstall it. I have a lot of complaints about Windows but Microsoft Defender is not going to rate very high.

Back to your original post... Funny but I would consider ESET Internet Security bloat. Third party AV solutions are really crappy and intrusive these days especially the paid full suites. I haven't used them in over a decade myself.

On 28/03/2023 at 10:12, Brandon H said:

because nagging and silently installing things is all Microsoft knows how to do anymore ....

It's 42 MB of storage and 120mb of working memory.

And the fact that it may help prevent the average user (who regularly screws up security), from getting their systems owned is more important than the 30 seconds it would take a power user to uninstall it.

You have a Samsung phone, you know about added apps. Smarthings, Bixby, McAfee.

Actually uses it for now myself,  on Desktop PC, and Gaming Laptop and Android Phone,   as thought it was sorta useful to monitor status of Phone security and other Gaming Laptop and 3rd PC in household.    Sure if i decide later don't really need it or next clean install can then not activate it again,  but so far it doesn't seem so bad to me