The Last String..

I have asked this question on MANY forums, and no one has the answer. I just wanna try here.. (This is, I think hardware related, but it's with a Linux system)

I use EndeavourOS KDE Plasma (yes, I did post on their forum, to no avail)

Lately, as in the last few weeks, my computer has been freezing or restarting. Randomly

First I thought it was heat, but nothing on the system was hot. Even CPU was just warm, not hot.

NVME is fine. I swapped for another I had, same thing.

I checked my RAM with memtest86 and reseated the RAM. 2 passes, all good.

I checked my board for any burns or anything that looks weird. Nothing.

Also, I did run two different Live-USB, and they both froze. One was ArcoLinux, other Was Mint 21..

I did run these 2 logs after I froze: 

https://0x0.st/HXFY.txt

and

https://0x0.st/HXFg.txt

And I also get this whenever it comes up:

I have to use "safe mode" to be able to get a GUI desktop up.

One weird thing.. Whenever I run Minecraft (JAVA), it prevents my sytstem from freezing. Why? No idea..

If no one can solve this, I'm going to get myself a new computer and hope to RMA this.. As I already have a case, PSU, and SSDs..

On 16/04/2023 at 03:18, Matthew S. said:

Any recent firmware updates?

No, sorry.. :(

On 16/04/2023 at 06:22, Nick H. said:

I would guess - and it is absolutely a guess - that it's something to do with the graphics card. What have you looked in to regarding that?

I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. Sry. I tried different HDMI/DP connections. Graphics card  is on the CPU. But as for the logs, nothing is showing as the graphics card..

On 16/04/2023 at 14:55, Mindovermaster said:

I forgot to mention that I tried that as well. Sry. I tried different HDMI/DP connections. Graphics card  is on the CPU. But as for the logs, nothing is showing as the graphics card..

I would try installing hardinfo and seeing what it displays. I would also try running some GPU tests (there is a GPU drawing test in hardinfo) to see what happens.

On 16/04/2023 at 15:09, adrynalyne said:

What happens if you try a different distro?

On 15/04/2023 at 21:05, Mindovermaster said:

Also, I did run two different Live-USB, and they both froze. One was ArcoLinux, other Was Mint 21..

PSU can be causing issues in RAM thus also your freezing. Try another PSU for the moment and see how it behaves.

looks to me like it could be a failed udevd update... when udevd gets corrupted, usually best to reinstall... which usually has to do with systemd and systemd-udev, or its  complaining about a missing guid or device id of a drive or sector on said drive.

On 16/04/2023 at 16:31, installshield_freak said:

looks to me like it could be a failed udevd update... when udevd gets corrupted, usually best to reinstall... which usually has to do with systemd and systemd-udev, or its  complaining about a missing guid or device id of a drive or sector on said drive.

I tried a different OS on a different M.2, AND even a 2.5 SSD.. Unless the PCI-e connection is bad..

On 16/04/2023 at 15:49, Arceles said:

PSU can be causing issues in RAM thus also your freezing. Try another PSU for the moment and see how it behaves.

Yes, but if it was a PSU error, it would turn off the computer, not freeze it..

On 16/04/2023 at 16:03, Mindovermaster said:

Yes, but if it was a PSU error, it would turn off the computer, not freeze it..

No, this is not entirely correct.

I had a similar issue, albeit in windows, where the computer froze by no reason when using the Igpu. The reason was that the ripple in the voltage used by the RAM caused it to behave weirdly with XMP enabled. Swapping the power supply solved the issue and I was able to operate without freezes using the ram XMP profile. This took me two whole days to figure.

I learned in A+ many years ago. yes, dirty power can cause brown-outs which can lead to data corruption and reboots. I would also try changing pcie as well.

On 16/04/2023 at 17:41, installshield_freak said:

I learned in A+ many years ago. yes, dirty power can cause brown-outs which can lead to data corruption and reboots. I would also try changing pcie as well.

Well, I can't do that with my Mini-PC..w

On 16/04/2023 at 22:11, adrynalyne said:

Can’t do what?

Don't know where I left off, mustve been busy.. but I can't change PCIe on the Mini-PC motherboard.

But yes, I can test a new power supply with it.

OK, I'm on a new computer now, and all is well.. Had some trouble reloading EndeavourOS, but I reburned a USB stick and all went well after that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, guys, heads up..

I recently (a few days ago) bought a new PSU "brick" for this computer, and I STILL get freeze after freeze.

So anyone who said the PSU, you are DEAD wrong..

On 04/05/2023 at 14:31, Mindovermaster said:

OK, guys, heads up..

I recently (a few days ago) bought a new PSU "brick" for this computer, and I STILL get freeze after freeze.

So anyone who said the PSU, you are DEAD wrong..

That was me, but in your case seems to be something more troublesme than the psu. given that is a small form factor pc with everything soldered I'm afraid that it might be hw related.

I'm not sure I follow...you changed the entire computer, components and all, and you installed a fresh OS, and it's still freezing and restarting on you? What are you installing after the OS installation?

On 04/05/2023 at 15:49, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure I follow...you changed the entire computer, components and all, and you installed a fresh OS, and it's still freezing and restarting on you? What are you installing after the OS installation?

Maybe I explained that wrong. The HX90 is at fault here, I am no longer using it. What I am trying to do is give it some CPR and hope it breathes again.. I bouight a new PSU for my HX90, not this system I'm on now.

On 04/05/2023 at 22:02, Mindovermaster said:

Maybe I explained that wrong. The HX90 is at fault here, I am no longer using it. What I am trying to do is give it some CPR and hope it breathes again.. I bouight a new PSU for my HX90, not this system I'm on now.

Ok, so after changing the PSU your computer is still having the same issues?

I revert to my earlier comment, it's the graphics card. Or the system not recognizing the card. Did you run the tests?

On 04/05/2023 at 16:13, Nick H. said:

Ok, so after changing the PSU your computer is still having the same issues?

I revert to my earlier comment, it's the graphics card. Or the system not recognizing the card. Did you run the tests?

Yes, new PSU, no dice.

CPU/GPU are all one unit. GPU works fine, I can get to a desktop and use it just fine. It's these random freezes that blows my mind.

On 04/05/2023 at 22:25, Mindovermaster said:

GPU works fine, I can get to a desktop and use it just fine. It's these random freezes that blows my mind.

GPU works fine at the start. Then it gets confused and conks out. Wouldn't be the first time that I've seen it.

Again, what tests have you done against it to rule it out as a possibility?