Issue with Outlook 2013

Question

Due to claimed attempts to access my account, I changed my password to my access my email server att.net.
The new password was saved.

Now I can get att.net as usual via a browser, but can neither send nor receive emails via Outlook, and find no way to correct this. 
I get a request to enter the password for "inbound.att.net." I enter the new password but it doesn't work.

Advice would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

could try removing and re-adding the account to outlook to see if it syncs back up properly.

If it won't let you re-add though then it could be trying to use an old API or something for the authentication. that version of outlook IS 10 years old now so not sure how compliant with current standards it is.

It's a good chance that the ATT has some other security attached to it.  2013 is pretty old at this point, but not sure if there are security options for HTTPS, TLS, whatever style of authentication.  Make sure that aligns to what ATT requires for their service.

It's sometimes misleading when you know you have the correct password, the issue has to be something other than password related, but the UI often doesn't just say "you're not using TLS and <Service> requires TLS", it usually just defaults to say "failed to connect" or even misleading "password failed".

On 19/04/2023 at 13:45, Brandon H said:

could try removing and re-adding the account to outlook to see if it syncs back up properly.

If it won't let you re-add though then it could be trying to use an old API or something for the authentication. that version of outlook IS 10 years old now so not sure how compliant with current standards it is.

Thank you.

I'm told this account is up to date but there are problems (unspecified) with it. Also told deleting this existing account will cause a loss of cached data, and I would not want to lose sent emails, etc. Not sure how to proceed.

You should be able to backup/export your mail to a .pst.

You can also check your credential manager.  Within there, you click Windows Credentials.  See if there are any saved credentials tied to your att.net account.  May be under generic credentials or Windows Credentials.