Image pc issue

Question

Hi,

I have a lenovo thinkpad laptop in which I am trying to do an image of in case i have issues with it for somw reason in thw future. I am trying to use acronis true image 2018 but it is not working. When I launch it from boot manager, it lloads windows 11. Can someone help me out with the reason why it is doing thid plz?

TYVM

15 answers to this question

do you have Acronis on a USB? If so then you may need to turn off Secure Boot in your BIOS to boot into it. Then you can turn it back on when you're done.

On 28/04/2023 at 14:08, Brandon H said:

do you have Acronis on a USB? If so then you may need to turn off Secure Boot in your BIOS to boot into it. Then you can turn it back on when you're done.

Brandon,

thx for responding. what key do i need need to turn it off plz?. Nice to hear from you again. :)

On 28/04/2023 at 13:24, Bruinator said:

Brandon,

thx for responding. what key do i need need to turn it off plz?. Nice to hear from you again. :)

unfortunately that part I can't answer as every computer is a bit different on getting into BIOS and every bios is laid out different.

once you get into your bios though then Secure Boot is usually in a security section.

edit: alternatively you could redo your USB drive using something like Ventoy which supports booting on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled

https://www.neowin.net/software/ventoy-1091/

is super simple to use, run the program and select your USB drive to prepare the drive then after that you simply place the ISO file on the drive. It supports putting multiple ISOs on the drive in case you want to have anything extra like the Windows ISO and such on there too

lenovos usually have a pin hole on the side, use a needle or something to poke it when its off, gives you the option for boot menu and bios, sometimes its an actual button. should have a symbol that looks like headphones near it

You say that you are loading it from the boot manager...did you try changing the boot order from the BIOS so that the USB is the primary drive the BIOS locates?

Is your TPM active? Secure Boot?

Rather than focus on Acronis, what happens if you try to boot a Live-USB of a Linux OS? That would help us figure out if the image on the drive is weird or if there is something in the BIOS preventing a Live-USB from working.

I gave up on Acronis because they rely on a version of linux/grub for booting; these versions really do not get along well with the newest computers. It is much easier to use the free Macrium software; I've used it for the past few years and have had no problems. If you want you can use it to create an ISO file to mount on a usb for Rescue purposes.

Hello,

Acronis True Image 2018 does not seem to be supported anymore.  See this discussion from about a month ago here on Neowin from someone who had the same issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 03/05/2023 at 00:49, goretsky said:

Hello,

Acronis True Image 2018 does not seem to be supported anymore.  See this discussion from about a month ago here on Neowin from someone who had the same issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Sorry, I used acronis 2021. I will try macrium to see if that helps.

On 11/05/2023 at 01:38, Bruinator said:

Sorry, I used acronis 2021. I will try macrium to see if that helps.

As another user indicated, make sure your USB drive is set to boot before the Windows system drive.
Make sure you use a relatively fast USB drive.
Which program are you using to put your Acronis or Macrium iso onto the USB?