What is a good program for turning off a PC that works similar like Wake On Lan?

Question

I'm trying to turn off machines in my network without using remote desktop, in a similar way to how I turn them on (by using wake on lan).

Any recommendations?

11 answers to this question

On 11/05/2023 at 09:45, Nick H. said:

@Warwagonspoke about this in another thread. You can use a PowerShell command to shut the computers down. See here at about 14:43:

I also found this article which includes various ways of doing it, although I haven't tested the methods so I don't know how reliable they are.

I thank you for the recommendation, I just that I wanted something more... generic? Since I turn my machines using WOL from Debian, but in this case I only want to turn off a machine that has windows in it.

On 11/05/2023 at 10:56, Arceles said:

I thank you for the recommendation, I just that I wanted something more... generic? Since I turn my machines using WOL from Debian, but in this case I only want to turn off a machine that has windows in it.

I think that's the best you are going to find. I don't think there is any universal shutdown like their is for wake-on-lan.

On 11/05/2023 at 16:56, Arceles said:

I'm not sure it could get more generic (which I'm going to assume you mean "basic") than running a PowerShell command. Just set the computer to a static IP on your network and write the shutdown command into a script. Then you would just need to double-click on the script when you want and you're done!

In the article I provided it also details how to do this using an in-built GUI. There are a few steps to set it up, but then it looks like you would be good to go.

If you have another Windows box you can use then there is a built in tool just type "shutdown -i" from the commandline and it'll give you an interactive dialgoue to send the shutdown command (including reason so it works with servers as well).

On 31/05/2023 at 03:20, Bryce June said:

Hi @Arceles,

Hope so you're doing good, you can utilize a program called "Shutdown on LAN" or "Shutdown Wake-On-LAN." These programs allow you to send a special Wake On LAN packet to the target computers, but instead of waking them up, the packet triggers a shutdown command. This method is effective for remotely powering off machines without the need for direct access.

There are several software options available for this purpose. Some popular choices include EMCO Remote Shutdown, SoftPerfect Switch Port Mapper, and Advanced IP Scanner. These programs provide features to scan your network, discover active machines, and send shutdown commands via Wake On LAN. They often come with additional functionalities like scheduling, grouping, and remote management capabilities.

Hope so this will work for you!

Regards,

Bryce June

Thank you, will look into it!

@Arceles  I've used TOff (https://dennisbabkin.com/toff/) for years as well as his WakeOnStandBy (which actually allows sleep/suspend/shutdown events too) over the years.  You might want to play with those in some creative way. 

More powerful, which I've also used for many years at times is DShutdown.  See http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/.  That is also worth checking out to see if you can accomplish what you want in some manner.

Edited by JayZJay

I just checked all the suggestions and... they are all for windows. I only have one machine with windows and it isthe one I want to shutdown with linux (Debian) I am still thankful for the suggestions.

On 31/05/2023 at 20:36, binaryzero said:

PowerShell...

Invoke-Command -ComputerName <COMPUTER> -ScriptBlock {shutdown -s -t 0} -credential <username>

let me see if installing powershell in linux yields the same result :)

On 31/05/2023 at 18:48, Arceles said:

I just checked all the suggestions and... they are all for windows. I only have one machine with windows and it isthe one I want to shutdown with linux (Debian) I am still thankful for the suggestions.

Best when you mention that in the first post. :)

Don't know what all the hubbub is about, but if there's a "Task Manager" in Linux, why not use that? Each machine can have it's own shutdown time if you wanted. I dunno... haven't used Linux since King had a dream... but it seems simple enough. Only thing I actively use TM for (means something I set up, not an app added feature) is the Night Light. Dims the monitor at night, then back to bright in the morning.