Your Favorite Music Player?

Question

6 answers to this question

I use Musicbee but AIMP is good if you dont want all the features of musicbee. 

With Spotify I haven't really needed another music player. With that said, for those times where I do need a music player I use Dopamine. It does everything I need, is available for Windows, Linux and Mac, and because it is being developed by @Raphaël G.I feel like any issues or suggestions get heard and addressed.

• Like 3

I have been using MediaMonkey for a long time now. There is a paid version and a free version. The free version has so many features I feel I don't need to pay for the full version. There is a version of MM for Android and it is only $5. Not sure about iOS.

The app displays album cover artwork, artist artwork, and shows quite a bit of info about the artist. It also looks up lyrics. There are options to: backup the library, rebuild full text search, optimize the database and rebuild the database. You can print custom "reports" to html or .csv formats. You can also export your playlists.

I don't see how they can provide an app with the extensive features it has for free.MMLyrics.jpg.43082b271316032f99788a7f7d6204a7.jpg

MM Music Screen.jpg

MM Ten Years After Info.jpg

Foobar2000 ; it's been around since Dec 2002 and is still actively developed.

it does not have a fancy looking interface but in terms of practical function you can't beat it (you can create tabs etc and I just drag-and-drop music files into it etc) as it does the basics well which is play music and you can also convert from lossless (FLAC etc) to lossy (MP3/AAC/Opus etc) files easily enough once it's setup properly as I use the, 'right click > Convert' menu and setup some presets there.

if you plan on doing any conversion I suggest installing the 'Encoder Pack' (i.e. https://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack ). you can even make Apple AAC (AAC-LC (which is standard AAC files)) with it to but it requires more than just installing that Encoder Pack, which I won't get into for now. besides I would just use MP3 anyways since that's pretty much universally supported on anything that plays lossy files and if you need another format besides MP3 I would consider Opus since you can get pretty good all-around sound at 64kbps where as with MP3 I generally suggest using no lower than V5 (130kbps average) and AAC (Apple AAC) I would avoid going lower than 96kbps.

you can even convert "HD" FLAC files (96/24 etc) back to standard 44.1/16 once you install the 'SoX' plugin (i.e. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,67376.msg1014620.html#msg1014620 ; this is needed for the 64-bit version of Foobar2000. if you are using the 32-bit (which has been standard in Foobar2000 for a long time until fairly recently) you can still use the one from years ago on the first post of page one of that topic). I always stick to standard 44.1/16 (i.e. standard AUDIO CD) since the file size is smaller and is more standardized and you can't improve on standard audio CD sound anyways since it already exceeds human hearing ability so there is no point in having "HD" audio.

p.s. I use Foobar2000, which is Windows software, on Linux through Wine (I setup a wine profile just for Foobar2000 through PlayOnLinux). it's hands down better than any native Linux music playback/conversion program.

WinAmp, that one that someone on here develops, or just plain ol' VNC. Most of my music is streamed from YT Music, or digital radio like Radio X Classic Rock. Oh, or maybe on the BBC Sounds app.