Do you remember the hype of Clubhouse? Threads will be the same

• Nick H. changed the title to Do you remember the hype of Clubhouse? Threads will be the same

I mean, I'm not saying that you're wrong...but do you want to elaborate on why you think this?

Looking around, most people seem to think that Clubhouse's decline in popularity is due to people returning to their "regular" routines after the pandemic ended. It also didn't help that the app was invitation-only, and even after that was dropped there was still a huge waiting list.

I do agree though that Threads needs to move quickly if they want to maintain their traction. With the whole hoo-ha with Twitter they need to strike while the iron is hot: they need to roll out the more basic features (editing, for example) soon to continue to try and compete, as well as provide a way of accessing the platform via a web browser. I also don't know what they hope to achieve by linking Threads so strictly with people's Instagram accounts. I imagine there are quite a few people that might have wanted to take a look at Threads, but the possibility of losing their Instagram account if they decided to try and remove Threads put them off.

On 16/07/2023 at 13:29, Jim K said:

wtf is Clubhouse?

It was an app that became popular during the pandemic. If I remember it was a voice chatroom. I think Elon Musk held an AMA using it.

Clubhouse... it was like a live unedited podcast that you can't listen to at 1.5X speed.

And for that reason... I'm out...

🤣

On 16/07/2023 at 07:35, Nick H. said:

It was an app that became popular during the pandemic. If I remember it was a voice chatroom. I think Elon Musk held an AMA using it.

Well that explains why it died, so heh.

I don't look for it to die. It's tied to the beast known as Facebook... er.... Meta. Same thing.

I think this is all going according to plan. I've always thought Musk bought Twitter just to bankrupt it.

Then get whatever he can from the federal government on the bankruptcy.

Always two there are. A master and an apprentice.

He learned from Darth MaraLago.

Well they have 2 billion Instagram members that essentially already have an account.  I don't think it'll die, but I doubt it will outdo Twitter.
I could see Threads and Instagram get merged at some point.  It doesn't really make sense to have 3 platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Threads) that all do similar things.

I like Bluesky, but if the invite system stays like it is it will never get big.

And officially I can't even get on Threads, while I can still access it with my VPN, the timeline doesn't populate anymore, this coming from one of the richest companies in the world that can't get its GDPR compliance in order! But then again they probably don't even want to, because to use Threads, you literally have to agree to be tracked everywhere as well, just Zuck beiung Zuck and raping your privacy like always.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...