Thorium browser; any good?

Question

I recently came across Thorium browser.

I seems pretty fast, secure, stable and decent. Do you guys have any experiences with this browser?

And can it be a replacement for Brave Browser (Firefox or Vivaldi)?

16 answers to this question

On 26/10/2023 at 16:48, cork1958 said:

Don't have an answer to your questions, but just downloaded it to try for myself. I love playing with browsers. :)

Let me know your findings... 😁

Why not just try it yourself?

Do you know the developers behind it? I wouldn't use a browser from randoms myself.

On 26/10/2023 at 20:31, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Why not just try it yourself?

Do you know the developers behind it? I wouldn't use a browser from randoms myself.

Chris Titus Tech is very positive on it. And this Reddit thread is also quite positive on it.
I have tried it in the mean time. It's fast, and does its job.
I am looking for a Brave replacement, but don't know yet if this 'fork'/alternative version on Chromium might be my/the go-to browser. Hence, this question.

(I am looking ffwd to Arc browser for Windows though)

Try this again. Posted reply earlier but it didn't go through for some reason.

Didn't get a chance to play with it much yesterday, but from what I did, I was fairly impressed with it's snappiness. Love the fact you can install the usual extensions which I didn't think would be an issue anyway. As long as I can install ublock origin I'm mostly happy. 

Have  downloaded it onto another computer now and will follow up with a reply as I get a chance to use it more.

Been running some browser security tests and performance benchmarks on this browser and it scores just as well or better than Edge in all tests. Won't be using it as my main browser just because it's a pretty much unknown browser but won't be removing it already either.

• Like 2

I currently am using Thorium. I just wanted to try it out after I was having some trouble with Vivaldi. While it IS fast, it's not fast on everything.

What I like about it is all the fixes they made for it. The patches they added to make it more secure.

Yes, they are not well known, but that is because of their small community and they don't advertise.

If you are so into FireFox, use this: https://thorium.rocks/mercury

On 03/11/2023 at 17:49, Mindovermaster said:

I currently am using Thorium. I just wanted to try it out after I was having some trouble with Vivaldi. While it IS fast, it's not fast on everything.

What I like about it is all the fixes they made for it. The patches they added to make it more secure.

Yes, they are not well known, but that is because of their small community and they don't advertise.

If you are so into FireFox, use this: https://thorium.rocks/mercury

I've been playing with this browser since OP. Nothing to complain about it, so far.

Will try out your link also.

Thanks for the post :)

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 13:06, cork1958 said:

I've been playing with this browser since OP. Nothing to complain about it, so far.

Will try out your link also.

Thanks for the post :)

That link was posted in a reddit forum. Just passing the news :)

On 22/12/2023 at 03:15, Sukhorukova said:

But kudos to them for those security patches! That definitely gives them a thumbs-up in my book. It's great to see smaller teams taking user privacy seriously.

On the "undiscovered gem" point, I totally get it. A small community and lack of ads might keep them under the radar, but it also suggests an extra layer of care in development. They're not chasing market share, just building a browser they believe in.

What's with the added link to a Russian site in the comment you quoted? I had to report it.

Wow. That’s messed up in the “hidden” section.

I tried the browser, but deleted it some time ago already.

Speedwise it was okay, but from security standpoint not so much…

Thorium can be faster than Chrome and Brave on some systems , but it Lacks some features found in Brave, Firefox.

On 09/01/2024 at 07:40, k.jonathan said:

Thorium can be faster than Chrome and Brave on some systems , but it Lacks some features found in Brave, Firefox.

To bad it doesn't have any way of checking for updates in it. I tried it for a while and although my other 3 browsers all updated at least once, I never found an update for Thorium. I did find an updater tool that never found an update either. Maybe an updater has been added by now, but I removed it before it did.