Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Looking forward to this. As for franchises:

Ghostbusters: perfect (9/10)

Ghostbusters 2: disposable fun (6/10)

Ghostbusters (female): horrendous (2/10)

Ghostbusters Afterlife: decent enough (7/10)

IMO

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 20:11, Dick Montage said:

Looking forward to this. As for franchises:

Ghostbusters: perfect (9/10)

Ghostbusters 2: disposable fun (6/10)

Ghostbusters (female): horrendous (2/10)

Ghostbusters Afterlife: decent enough (7/10)

IMO

I fully agree with this rating. I enjoyed Afterlife, because nostalgia, but I was missing some magic, good music (the music was quite bland) and a moment like in Ghostbusters 1 when the containment unit was blown and the ghosts escaped. The whole scene and music was pure magic (which was also the title of the song playing 😝).

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 13:23, Raphaël G. said:

I fully agree with this rating. I enjoyed Afterlife, because nostalgia, but I was missing some magic, good music (the music was quite bland) and a moment like in Ghostbusters 1 when the containment unit was blown and the ghosts escaped. The whole scene and music was pure magic (which was also the title of the song playing 😝).

The score for the original Ghostbusters was blissful. Almost a love letter to Manhattan island. Without the supernatural context of the film, it still exudes “New York” to me.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 14:46, Dick Montage said:

The score for the original Ghostbusters was blissful. Almost a love letter to Manhattan island. Without the supernatural context of the film, it still exudes “New York” to me.

I wish Hollywood would realise that you just can't re-create the same magic you had with the original release of something.  It's not doable.  Even sequels made close to the original's release are mostly unsuccessful.  Stop it. We want something NEW, not reboots.

On 13/11/2023 at 07:22, FloatingFatMan said:

I wish Hollywood would realise that you just can't re-create the same magic you had with the original release of something.  It's not doable.  Even sequels made close to the original's release are mostly unsuccessful.  Stop it. We want something NEW, not reboots.

I enjoy the ongoing storyline - when there is a story worth continuing.

Looks good. Afterlife was great but it took too long to release covid or no covid. MI 2nd part in 2025...really? Stop holding the movies back if they are done and lets go.

On 13/11/2023 at 19:19, sava700 said:

Looks good. Afterlife was great but it took too long to release covid or no covid. MI 2nd part in 2025...really? Stop holding the movies back if they are done and lets go.

There was this thing called a strike that happened. They need to sprinkle these movies out because it will come to the point in the in a couple years were there will be nothing to release for a while.

On 14/11/2023 at 14:46, Warwagon said:

There was this thing called a strike that happened. They need to sprinkle these movies out because it will come to the point in the in a couple years were there will be nothing to release for a while.

What more woke will Hollyweird come with next?

On 14/11/2023 at 18:58, Dick Montage said:

Not wanting to be shafted financially is a fair stance.

Someone should have told them that before they made the all female Ghostbusters...

• Haha 3

On 14/11/2023 at 19:21, FloatingFatMan said:

Someone should have told them that before they made the all female Ghostbusters...

That was such a f¥$king agenda-driven pile of trash. I am not being bigoted about it, but the way that Sony span the bad reviews into “well you just can’t stand strong female leads” was ridiculous. It had no “strong female leads”, was more racially insensitive than the original and just wasn’t funny!

• Like 2

On 14/11/2023 at 19:23, Dick Montage said:

That was such a f¥$king agenda-driven pile of trash. I am not being bigoted about it, but the way that Sony span the bad reviews into “well you just can’t stand strong female leads” was ridiculous. It had no “strong female leads”, was more racially insensitive than the original and just wasn’t funny!

I was so bad, they didn't even include it in the Ghostbusters Collection blu-ray set, and apparently the director was furious... :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/11/2023 at 19:27, FloatingFatMan said:

I was so bad, they didn't even include it in the Ghostbusters Collection blu-ray set, and apparently the director was furious... :p

Because it isn’t part of that overall story is it? They deliberately chose to use the franchise without the ongoing storyline so that should write them out of any collected box set. I hate to say it because I know how it makes me look, but it was one of the worst films I’ve seen.

On 14/11/2023 at 20:23, Dick Montage said:

It's crazy how they always spin it that way. I loooove movies with female leads, even non-strong (or how should we call this. What's the meaning of that strong term anyway) female leads. That movie was just bad. So bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 08:23, Raphaël G. said:

Every time I hear the start of Chaka Khan's Ain't Nobody, it brings me to that scene.  It just rings so similar to my ears.   "Magic" was legitimately perfect for the scene in the movie.  

Skip to about the 2:10 mark if you want the part that was used for the movie.

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2023 at 09:22, FloatingFatMan said:

The sad truth is that sequels and reboots are the easy things to make because of their past success.  The studios are a business, they follow the money.  It's easier to push and market a sequel or reboot to a IP that's generally well known than to try and push something new that might cost as much to make and flop way hard.

If you were the studio you'd be doing the same exact thing they're doing now, you'd follow the path to easy money. Lots of new stuff comes out but only a fraction of it has big enough success to get people talking.

• Like 3

On 17/01/2024 at 18:06, margrave said:

I'm still looking forward to it

I hope it will be good, I worry it'll suck...

This fence is awfully uncomfortable! :p