• Slackware
    • OpenSUSE
    • Arch
    • Manjaro
    • Endeavour OS
    • I roll my own!
    • Other (please specify
    • Fedora

I'm still pretty partial to Elementary and Zorin.

On 21/05/2024 at 06:32, FateTrap said:

I use Calculate Linux and OpenBSD on my Intel Alder Lake + Radeon RX 7000 desktop.

Calculate Linux is a user-friendly Gentoo with OpenRC as init system. (=very fast startup) It's probably the best Linux distro for AMD/Intel GPU gamers.

It has the latest Mesa version but it is very reliable for a rolling release system.

But no GNOME spin?  That makes no sense. But of course, MATE and Xfce  are there.  These Linux builds that want your computer to keep looking like something from 2002 - I don't get it.

HP Ryzen desktop Linux distros currently include Mint Linux 21.3, openSUSE Tumbleweed 15.5, MX 23.3, and Fedora 40. I prefer Xfce distros. For multimedia, Mint and MX

meet my needs right out of the box. openSUSE boot controls access all of them plus Windows 11. I like the default font size since I can read it without a magnifying glass.

ASUS Zenbook Linux installs currently include MX 23.3, LMDE 6. and Lubuntu 24.04 plus Windows 11. The Ubuntu "flavor" is likely to be replaced with Solus 4.5, when and if

the beta Xfce is no longer beta.

In my experience, compared to Windows, Linux distros are faster to boot and shut down, more stable, and take up less than half the space of a minimal Windows install.

That explains the number of ASUS distros on its 256 GB drive.

On 22/05/2024 at 06:44, pearlharbor49 said:

In my experience, compared to Windows, Linux distros are faster to boot and shut down, more stable, and take up less than half the space of a minimal Windows install.

That explains the number of ASUS distros on its 256 GB drive.

True that! Some Linux distros are so small, you can run it off a pen drive. ;)

24.04 of Kubuntu has buggered my Linux install, and I'm not in the mood to fix it. Black screen after upgrading, and after doing a fresh install it works until I restart.

Going to try Neon again tomorrow and see how that fares...

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 12:09, Nick H. said:

24.04 of Kubuntu has buggered my Linux install, and I'm not in the mood to fix it. Black screen after upgrading, and after doing a fresh install it works until I restart.

I got this one too, it's Plymouth.  Bring up the Grub menu (or SSH into it if you can), edit the kernel parameters and remove "splash".  It'll boot after that. There's an open bug about it somewhere, didn't bookmark it.  I also get random hard freezes when copying very large amounts of data (like migrating a few hundred gigs from one drive to another). Haven't had either of these on other distros thus far, so *shrug* there. Makes me sad as I wanted to stay with Plasma 5 for a while yet, but probably going to just bite the bullet and go back with EndeavourOS.

Edited by Max Norris
Typomograffikal errors

On 22/05/2024 at 17:41, Max Norris said:

I got this one too, it's Plymouth.  Bring up the Grub menu (or SSH into it if you can), edit the kernel parameters and remove "splash".  It'll boot after that.

Oh! I was able to get into it via recovery, then I didn't have the chance to look at any fixes...

I'll look into this tomorrow. If that fixes it you're a star and I owe you a pint. (Y)

On 22/05/2024 at 17:27, Nick H. said:

Oh! I was able to get into it via recovery, then I didn't have the chance to look at any fixes...

I'll look into this tomorrow. If that fixes it you're a star and I owe you a pint. (Y)

Wait, is he of age? :laugh:

On 22/05/2024 at 12:09, Nick H. said:

Lots of issues with 24.04. I had to go back to the previous version (Xubuntu). Love KDE Neon 6. Lots of customization with it.

Posted (edited)
On 22/05/2024 at 18:27, Nick H. said:

Found that bug report. Apparently it's SDDM breaking Plymouth and there's a patch available if you're a hands-on type of person. Me, meh it's on screen for like a second tops, I'll just disabled it till they patch it and add it to the repos. 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sddm/+bug/2065321

On 22/05/2024 at 19:58, Mindovermaster said:

Wait, is he of age? :laugh:

Lol yes old fart here. 

On 23/05/2024 at 06:15, Barney T. said:

Lots of issues with 20.04. I had to go back to the previous version (Xubuntu). Love KDE Neon 6. Lots of customization with it.

Yea I'm hearing similar from other places as well with this new version. KDE Neon is pretty nice, just leery about the timing as it'll (probably) update to 24.04 in a few months as well. Love the customization though, for example a new theme called Klassy is pure 💘. There's a git branch for Plasma 5 as well.
https://github.com/paulmcauley/klassy

• Like 2

On 23/05/2024 at 06:20, Max Norris said:

KDE Neon is pretty nice, just leery about the timing as it'll (probably) update to 24.04 in a few months as well. Love the customization though, for example a new theme called Klassy is pure . There's a git branch for Plasma 5 as well.

https://github.com/paulmcauley/klassy

I resisted KDE Neon with Plasma 6 for a while but put it on an older system and it works very well. It's very responsive and can be themed out however the user would like. I am happy with the version out now and won't upgrade to 24.04. No need to bork my system with that version.

On 23/05/2024 at 11:20, Max Norris said:

Found that bug report. Apparently it's SDDM breaking Plymouth and there's a patch available if you're a hands-on type of person. Me, meh it's on screen for like a second tops, I'll just disabled it till they patch it and add it to the repos. 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sddm/+bug/2065321

I just disabled it as suggested and can confirm that it's resolved the issue! Thanks mate!

I'm a bit annoyed at myself that I went ahead and wiped the system before, but oh well. It's nice to start fresh sometimes. Thankfully most of my modifications are small things.

• Like 4

On 23/05/2024 at 05:39, Barney T. said:

I resisted KDE Neon with Plasma 6 for a while but put it on an older system and it works very well. It's very responsive and can be themed out however the user would like. I am happy with the version out now and won't upgrade to 24.04. No need to bork my system with that version.

Yeah, 24.04 needs to work out it's bugs first. I'd wait at least 3 months until fully using it as a daily driver.

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2024 at 09:02, Nick H. said:

I just disabled it as suggested and can confirm that it's resolved the issue! Thanks mate!

I'm a bit annoyed at myself that I went ahead and wiped the system before, but oh well. It's nice to start fresh sometimes. Thankfully most of my modifications are small things.

Tried installing 24.04 again.  Everything was going nicely, started copying my files over, a few seconds into it and *bam* Hard freeze. No panic, no nothing, just locked up hard. Again. Had this happen on my last attempt with 24.04 too.

So, back to EndeavourOS again for me most likely, but I would like to add my brief review of Kubuntu 24.04. At first I've edited out a couple hours of profanity, but then after some careful consideration I'll just sum it up in one picture. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

On 24/05/2024 at 10:10, Max Norris said:

Tried installing 24.04 again.  Everything was going nicely, started copying my files over, a few seconds into it and *bam* Hard freeze. No panic, no nothing, just locked up hard. Again. Had this happen on my last attempt with 24.04 too.

I can't say I've had that happen, although my file transfer was only about 6GB.

Something strange that has happened though is with Steam. I was able to install it, open it and access my library. But now when I try opening Steam (after completely exiting from the application) it sits in the system tray, and the Steam icon briefly appears in my taskbar before disappearing again. Basically, much like my previous issue I was able to open it once and now I can't get back into it...

But it's not as serious as not being able to boot into the OS, so I'm going to take it easy and tinker around.

• Like 2

On 23/05/2024 at 06:39, Barney T. said:

They always insisted on the fact that KDE Neon isn't a distro. Makes me worry about using it on a day-to-day basis to be honest.

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 05:51, Farchord said:

They always insisted on the fact that KDE Neon isn't a distro. Makes me worry about using it on a day-to-day basis to be honest.

You are conflating two different questions from their FAQs. 
https://neon.kde.org/faq

What is KDE neon?

KDE neon is a Linux distribution built on top of the latest Ubuntu LTS release (22.04 at the moment) that showcases KDE software exactly as the KDE developers intended it, with no patches and no changes to default settings. Adventurous users are encouraged to try out User Edition. KDE testers can try out unreleased KDE software using the Testing and Unstable Editions.”

Is this "the KDE distro"?

“Nope. KDE believes it is important to work with many distributions, as each brings unique value and expertise for its users. KDE neon is one distro out of many, and that diversity is a good thing!

@adrynalyneAre you still digging Siduction, or did you go elsewhere?

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 14:45, Mindovermaster said:

@adrynalyneAre you still digging Siduction, or did you go elsewhere?

I’ve not used it since my daughter stole my PC a few months ago. I never had any issues with it while I did use it though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2024 at 14:50, Darrian said:

I'm still pretty partial to Elementary and Zorin.

Zorin looks nice. I might try the lite version. 

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2024 at 09:58, Xenon said:

It’s a pretty dated distro, fyi. 

On 08/06/2024 at 13:04, adrynalyne said:

It’s a pretty dated distro, fyi. 

Only if you have used it. 

On 08/06/2024 at 17:58, Xenon said:

I installed Zorin for a friend who is computer illiterate. In that respect it was a decent system for keeping his very old netbook going.

But if memory serves, it is basically Ubuntu with changes to make it feel like Windows.

On 08/06/2024 at 10:06, Xenon said:

Only if you have used it. 

What? It’s based on an older Ubuntu distro.