Welcome to the 2024 GNU/Linux Desktops Thread!

On 04/10/2024 at 23:31, Mindovermaster said:

I never did like Fedora OR GNOME.. How is it working for you? :)

I had to use ArcMenu and Diash-to-Panel extensions so the workflow remains similar to KDE or Windows. Vanilla GNOME experience isn't my jam, though I kinda like how its backend and other components are "coherent" so to speak. It's devs though are a whole another can of worms.

As for Fedora, I liked how it feels leading edge in the packages area yet still be rock solid at least in my deployments. I used to run Debian sid to have somewhat newer packages, but felt like I'm on my own when some issues arise.

On 04/10/2024 at 15:15, riceBox said:

I had to use ArcMenu and Diash-to-Panel extensions so the workflow remains similar to KDE or Windows. Vanilla GNOME experience isn't my jam, though I kinda like how its backend and other components are "coherent" so to speak. It's devs though are a whole another can of worms.

As for Fedora, I liked how it feels leading edge in the packages area yet still be rock solid at least in my deployments. I used to run Debian sid to have somewhat newer packages, but felt like I'm on my own when some issues arise.

You should try Siduction if you ran on Debian Sid branch.

You ever try Arch?

On 04/10/2024 at 14:08, Mindovermaster said:

You should try Siduction if you ran on Debian Sid branch.

You ever try Arch?

👍

On 04/10/2024 at 18:28, adrynalyne said:

👍

Says Adrynalyne. :laugh:

On 05/10/2024 at 08:55, Elі said:

My Linux Desktop in 2024.

Screenshot_dde-desktop_20241004201857.png

Neofetch, please. :)

On 05/10/2024 at 11:00, Mindovermaster said:

Neofetch, please. :)

Sure.

Screenshot_dde-desktop_20241006100805.thumb.png.8893cea61ba270ce3ae09a517742652f.png

On 06/10/2024 at 09:10, Elі said:

Sure.

Screenshot_dde-desktop_20241006100805.thumb.png.8893cea61ba270ce3ae09a517742652f.png

Deepin. Nice. :) 

Never really used them, but looking good :) 

On 05/10/2024 at 14:55, Elі said:

My Linux Desktop in 2024.

Really nice desktop, could I get a link to the background?

On 07/10/2024 at 06:30, InsaneNutter said:

Really nice desktop, could I get a link to the background?

Thank you.

Sure, no problem. This one I improved with AI and also created 16X9 versions of it. The one with the word "Improved" on the name is the one I'm using. I made a few modifications on it so it looks better on 16x9.  The one with "Original" on the name is the original picture. However, I also improved it with AI.

https://www.pavlovcentral.com/s/MxNzE4N

Cheers!

• Like 1

Much appreciated. I do like the improved version you are using best, it a nice adaptation of the background for 16:9 displays.

On 07/10/2024 at 04:44, protocol7 said:

ScreenshotFrom2024-10-0710-40-12.thumb.png.c03a83655c1b7f4e5a4b6b058b2cbc85.png

Still rocking debian x gnome. Though since the last time I posted here I've switched from trixie to sid and x11 to wayland.

You sgould look at Siduction 

I never like GNOME, but each to their own :) 

On 07/10/2024 at 19:26, Mindovermaster said:

I never like GNOME, but each to their own :) 

It's a weird one. When I first tried it out last summer as part of Fedora I didn't like it at all. But after using it for the past year or so I've developed a workflow around it to the point where any time I look at another DE for a change I tend to give up on it quick. I've had a couple of (short) attempts with KDE but just can't gel with it. Which is a shame as a lot of the apps I use are Qt-based and so would actually fit better with KDE.

I would like to try something new though. Something where I could build up a more custom system. I'm thinking about sway as it seems to be pretty solid. Not a fan of tiling wms but it can do floating too and maybe with time I could adapt to tiling.

On 07/10/2024 at 16:18, protocol7 said:

It's a weird one. When I first tried it out last summer as part of Fedora I didn't like it at all. But after using it for the past year or so I've developed a workflow around it to the point where any time I look at another DE for a change I tend to give up on it quick. I've had a couple of (short) attempts with KDE but just can't gel with it. Which is a shame as a lot of the apps I use are Qt-based and so would actually fit better with KDE.

I would like to try something new though. Something where I could build up a more custom system. I'm thinking about sway as it seems to be pretty solid. Not a fan of tiling wms but it can do floating too and maybe with time I could adapt to tiling.

You can do tiling in KDE, too. (Well, sort of)

I always hated KDE because of all its eye candy. But these days, they kind of grew on me.

Yes, I've used Sway before, and is quite nice. Feels like a switch between OpenBox and i3.