What was the last movie you watched? (2024 edition)

2023 Thread is here

Leave the World Behind, Netflix, IMDB

Thought it was fine...was ok with the ending (which seems to be a hot topic regarding the movie).  Nothing really special but it wasn't a waste of time (though a bit lengthy at ~2:10 hrs, not including credits).

6 out of 10

• Nick H. unlocked this topic

Foolproof (2003)

Stumbled across it and thought that since I hadn't seen it and it has Ryan Reynolds, I'd give it a go.

With that in mind, I'd say it wasn't half bad. I think the IMDB rating is pretty accurate, 6.5/10.

2023 thread is closed so I'll put my last watched flick here. It was close enough to New Year anyway. :)

Me and wife watched Candy Cane Lane, Candy Cane Lane (2023) - IMDb Definitely not the best of Eddie Murphy, but movie was tolerable.

Web capture_1-1-2024_153339_www.imdb.com.jpeg

On 01/01/2024 at 08:38, WiltshireHam said:

Rebel Moon Part 1 (Netflix). 6/10

I liked it. Fight scenes are good. Should have been part of Star Wars. 8/10

Oh since the new year I have been watching Dirty Harry, I plan to watch the entire series, 

Dirty Harry (1971)

Magnum Force (1973)

The Enforcer (1976) <==== tonight

I've watched the Dirty Harry films multiple times over the years and always enjoy them so that, I guess, means 10/10.

Over Christmas: The Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023) <=== this was dumb, did not like...... 4/10, and Dream Scenario (2023) <===== meh was okay a bit stupid toward the end... 6/10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Marvels - I really enjoyed it. I dont know what people have issues about, it just seems to be internet bloat.

Fried Barry (2020) 5.6 (imdb)

I think this was aiming to become a cult classic, but for me there was nothing particularly stand out memorable about it, but it was a solid movie... my rating is a 6.

Retirement Plan (2023) 5.0 (imdb)

This is a pretty good Nic Cage movie, although some of the characters were underdeveloped like the CIA agent partners and one of the bad guys that has a major part of the movie

Spoiler

wasn't redeemed when it was all building up to it, so that was a bit of a let down

It had great pacing and deserves higher than the 5.0 it has, I give it a 7.

The Creator

You can tell immediately that it's a Gareth Edwards movie, that Rogue One/Monsters feel - and that's fine with me as I love both of those movies.

There's no real surprises, it's pretty formulaic in the plot department, but I enjoyed it for what it was, the CGI was grounded and fairly well done.

Barbie

I really enjoyed it. It's not a thinking film, but it's humorous and good fun.

Strangely, my sister watched it the other day and said that she lost interest halfway through and didn't find it funny. 🤷‍♂️

I'd probably give it a 7/10.

image.jpeg

Wolf (1994) 6.3 (imdb)
Publisher Will Randall (Jack Nicholson) becomes a demon wolf and has to fight to keep his job.

It has held up well for its 30 years, an entertaining rewatch! (8.0/10)

Wonka

Went into it thinking "OK another kids film for my niece, shamelessly cashing in on a classic movie"

Came out of it thinking "This is an instant classic, I'd love to see the same production team fill in the missing years and then redo the original stories".  Absolutely magical, and Hugh Grant's oompah loompah nails it!

The Marvels. Was dubious about this, but it was quite good. Recently re-watched Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness again, which is good, but still annoys me!

Watched Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning. Good, not as good as Fall Out. They seem to be heading into John Wick territory and stretching the action set pieces out waaaay too long. No need!

Re-watched Jack Reacher. I know people who read the books thought Tom Cruise was no JR, but its just a damn decent thriller nonetheless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Smokey and the Bandit, IMDB

I watch this classic every few years or so.  9 out of 10.   Jackie Gleason's performance ... *Chef's kiss*

Spoiler

Sheriff Branford:
The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.

Buford T. Justice:
The god damn Germans got nothin' to do with it.

....been even longer since I watched part 2...so why not?

Smokey and the Bandit II, IMDB

What an absolute dumpster fire.  During the first 10 minutes or so...I was thinking that this wasn't as bad as a remembered it.  Then came the training montage and I was like ... oh, right.  All downhill from there.  2 out of 10

The Abyss, IMDB, Currently streaming on Hulu

Don't think I've watched this since it came out ... to my surprise ~35 years ago.  Getting old.  Anyway, can't really remember what I thought about it all those years ago but I did enjoy it this go around.  Though, when James Cameron ends a movie...it just ends.  Still not sure if they were aliens or just an undiscovered advanced underwater civilization ... I'm sure they didn't appreciate Bud just dumping his helmet in their craft (human trash and all that..ha).

8 out 10

On 18/02/2024 at 08:03, Jim K said:

The Abyss, IMDB, Currently streaming on Hulu

Don't think I've watched this since it came out ... to my surprise ~35 years ago.  Getting old.  Anyway, can't really remember what I thought about it all those years ago but I did enjoy it this go around.  Though, when James Cameron ends a movie...it just ends.  Still not sure if they were aliens or just an undiscovered advanced underwater civilization ... I'm sure they didn't appreciate Bud just dumping his helmet in their craft (human trash and all that..ha).

8 out 10

The directors cut has a better ending that kinda goes into that more from what I remember...  But, wow, didn't realize its been 35 years.

I've had it waiting for a while but I saw Aquaman 2 finally, your average comic book movie.  7/10 IMO.  

There's few movies I'm looking to watch atm outside of Dune Part 2 and Deadpool 3.  

The Marvels (IMDB 5.6)

This movie deserves its low score. Hollyweird should stop shoving politically correct messages down our throats, and yes I am also getting superhero movie fatigue, but mainly for the Marvel series. I think the Trivia section of The Marvels said this is the 41st Marvel movie, since 2008.. that's 2.7 movies a year.. and this does not even count the TV series.. if you miss one or two of the movies or the TV series, you lose half the plot.

The DC universe is far more fun, and I (unlike some others) don't have a problem with Superman being rebooted after 17 years (2006-2025). At least the movies can sort of stand on their own, and you aren't tied to a TV series to understand half of what is going on.

Ms. Marvel was good in The Marvels, but I did enjoy that TV series too, so for me the movie got a 5 out of 10. I didn't enjoy it, and I find it sad that these movies rely almost totally on CGI now as well.

The Marvel universe is like this massive web that keeps spinning off another layer or character, and doesn't give you time (or the want) to catch up.