What was the last movie you watched? (2024 edition)

The Beekeeper. about a man who keeps Bees who used to be an assassin. Typical Jason Statham yarn, decent.

The Bricklayer. about a man who's a bricklayer, who used to work for the CIA. Decent spy action film. 

Haven't watched The Painter yet, not sure what that's about!

American Fiction. Despite what the film is about, I found it a heartwarming film about a family. Wonderfully done nontheless

• 3 weeks later...

Damsel - Netflix - IMDB 

It was fine, totally predictable and forgettable.  I wonder if there will be a sequel.  6 out of 10

Dune part 2

Marvels

Better than I was expecting, and not worth all the derision it received. Marvel-fatigue is real however, diminishing returns alongside Disney having no idea how to market a movie anymore.

Saltburn

Loved it, the direction and acting were great, but some of the character handling was a bit clunky - the reveal especially so

image.png

Spaceman - Netflix 5.8 (IMDB)

I don't know, it wasn't terrible but it doesn't bring anything new to the table.. I watched the Solaris remake years ago and found that better. Anyway I gave it a 5 out of 10.

Dune Part 2, it was great.  Now I'm just waiting for Denni to make the 3rd movie and more if he wants.  Give me all the spice!

On 11/03/2024 at 10:26, Dick Montage said:

Saltburn

Loved it, the direction and acting were great, but some of the character handling was a bit clunky - the reveal especially so

Totally agree. It felt a bit disjointed to towards the end, and I asked myself more than a few times "why?" did it go the way it went. Didn't seem to be much of a motive for all that..

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 11:10, Astral said:

Totally agree. It felt a bit disjointed to towards the end, and I asked myself more than a few times "why?" did it go the way it went. Didn't seem to be much of a motive for all that..

I'll have to finish it. I turned it off about 30 mins in at that point I called the movie "Slowburn"

• 1 month later...

Beau is Afraid (2023)

I had to watch it in two sittings. Partially because it's 3 hours long, but also because what. the. ####. I know Ari Aster has done some crazy films (Hereditary, Midsommer) but this one just takes the cake. I honestly don't know what was real. Was it all real? Was it all just a fever dream of Beau's???

So incredibly bizarre. But if you have the time I recommend sitting down and watching it.

Monkey Man,  7/10.  It could've been a 8/10 if they didn't use that annoying Bourne Identify shaky cam for the fights.  Otherwise, it was a good revenge story.

• 4 weeks later...

Madame Web  - IMDB - currently streaming on Netflix

WTF was this movie?  Incredibly boring and a waste of time.  Just a messy and uninspiring script...how did this even get green-lit? 

A positive?  About half way through they gave a fairly good CPR chest compression lesson...albeit short.

1 out 10  (because of the accurate chest compression lesson and the occasional appearance of Dakota Johnson's pony tail)

• Like 1

The Zone Of Interest

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7160372/

A really tricky movie... The juxtaposition of the horrors of Nazi extermination strategies against the almost idyllic life of the camp commandant... the business-like manner in which it was all handled... not showing the horror but rather the way the acts were managed... yeah - not easy watching at all.

8/10

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire.  7/10.  A step down from Afterlife but I like that they expand the lore and universe more.

Godzilla x Kong,  7/10.  Mindless monster smashing chaos.  What we all expect out of these movies now.  

Poor Things.  I'm kind of torn on this one, I give it marks for the look and the way it's filmed, also the craziness of it all.  But I often found myself not really caring about what was going on character wise.  I'm sure there's some deep commentary going on in there about people and how they act etc, I just don't care for it.  6.5/10.   It's the type of movie that the critics lose their minds over and I can understand why.

• Like 2

On 22/05/2024 at 09:25, George P said:

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire.  7/10.  A step down from Afterlife but I like that they expand the lore and universe more.

Godzilla x Kong,  7/10.  Mindless monster smashing chaos.  What we all expect out of these movies now.  

Poor Things.  I'm kind of torn on this one, I give it marks for the look and the way it's filmed, also the craziness of it all.  But I often found myself not really caring about what was going on character wise.  I'm sure there's some deep commentary going on in there about people and how they act etc, I just don't care for it.  6.5/10.   It's the type of movie that the critics lose their minds over and I can understand why.

Literally 100% agree with all the above!

Godzilla Minus One.  8/10,  I get why they say it's a good movie but I'd just like to point out that you could take Godzilla out of it, tweak things a bit and it'd still be a good movie about post-war Japan and PTSD.

On 20/05/2024 at 05:38, Jim K said:

Madame Web  - IMDB - currently streaming on Netflix

WTF was this movie?  Incredibly boring and a waste of time.  Just a messy and uninspiring script...how did this even get green-lit? 

A positive?  About half way through they gave a fairly good CPR chest compression lesson...albeit short.

1 out 10  (because of the accurate chest compression lesson and the occasional appearance of Dakota Johnson's pony tail)

I watched last night. It was entertaining enough for me with some funny parts. More and more of these character introductory movies are a bit disjointed.

6 out of 10

The Marvels. 7 out of 10. It was much better than I expected. Not great but entertaining. 

On 24/05/2024 at 15:14, hagjohn said:

More and more of these character introductory movies are a bit disjointed.

Characters for the sake of characters now - not that there's any longer term plan for what to do with them.

Posted (edited)
On 20/02/2024 at 01:44, -_MSD_- said:

The Beekeeper. about a man who keeps Bees who used to be an assassin. Typical Jason Statham yarn, decent.

The Bricklayer. about a man who's a bricklayer, who used to work for the CIA. Decent spy action film. 

Haven't watched The Painter yet, not sure what that's about!

American Fiction. Despite what the film is about, I found it a heartwarming film about a family. Wonderfully done nontheless

I'll try to sell my new script to hollywwod. It's about an average computer engineering guy who used to not work for the CIA. FBI or as an assassin. He'll keep being just and average IT guy and nothing special will happen since he doesn't have super hero skills. He might fall in love again at some point by accident i've not figured that part yet. The movie will be called LaP : A a decent into mediocrity. It will not be shot in IMAX.

FYI the Painter is aout a guy who paint and who used to work for the KGB. It's a decent old school geopolitical thriller.

On an unimportant side note i've watched Abigail yesterday. Decent flick with no pretention. Nothing original but watchable i guess.

• Haha 2

On 24/05/2024 at 13:53, LaP said:

I'll try to sell my new script to hollywwod. It's about an average computer engineering guy who used to not work for the CIA. FBI or as an assassin. He'll keep being just and average IT guy and nothing special will happen since he doesn't have super hero skills. He might fall in love again at some point by accident i've not figured that part yet. The movie will be called LaP : A a decent into mediocrity. It will not be shot in IMAX.

FYI the Painter is aout a guy who paint and who used to work for the KGB. It's a decent old school geopolitical thriller.

Sounds good, but needs something. Maybe explosions or aliens. How about giant spiders? 

• Haha 3

On 25/05/2024 at 03:53, LaP said:

On an unimportant side note i've watched Abigail yesterday. Decent flick with no pretention. Nothing original but watchable i guess.

Actually, fwiw I found this movie with an excellent cast to be above the average Dracula offering. It is good fun provided you enjoy this genre and don't take it too seriously.

The Fall Guy imo is outstanding. The chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt really works. A genuinely fun movie.

• Like 1

Watched Civil War yesterday. Good movie about journalism. Don't get fooled by the movie title it's not really about a civil war.  There's no explanation about why there's a conflict and no side is really presented as the bad guy. It's really about journalism and the importance of journalism in war time. As a side quest the movie explore a bit how things can degenerate when there's no laws enforced by authorities but that's surface level at best and very brief.