Star Wars: The Acolyte [Disney+]

The series stars Amandla Stenberg, Lee Jung-jae, Manny Jacinto, Dafne Keen, Charlie Barnett, Jodie Turner-Smith, Rebecca Henderson, Dean-Charles Chapman, Joonas Suotamo, and Carrie-Anne Moss.

The official logline states, “An investigation into a shocking crime spree pits a respected Jedi Master (Lee) against a dangerous warrior from his past (Stenberg). As more clues emerge, they travel down a dark path where sinister forces reveal all is not what it seems.” The show is known to be set during the High Republic era of the “Star Wars” timeline, prior to the events of the “Star Wars” films. 

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-wars-the-acolyte-premiere-date-disney-plus-1235944726/

Looks intriguing....

So... just for context - I don't hate on any of the new shows, I don't consider anything "too woke" or "not real {franchise}".  But...

That trailer showed me nothing that made me think "Oh, that's interested", "Oh, that's an addition to the story that I'll enjoy" or anything of the sort.

It would be unfair of me to judge an entire series upon a short trailer (would it? what else am I to do at this point?) but with KK running the show - I fear it will be content for content's sake.

On 20/03/2024 at 02:36, FloatingFatMan said:

It's a show led by Kathleen Kennedy, so it's going to be complete and utter garbage.

...also Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) ... so maybe it won't be.

...with that said...the trailer did nothing for me.  Takes place 100 years before The Phantom Menace ... in this, Yoda better be.

On 20/03/2024 at 09:06, Jim K said:

...also Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) ... so maybe it won't be.

...with that said...the trailer did nothing for me.  Takes place 100 years before The Phantom Menace ... in this, Yoda better be.

Really? The Book of Boba Fett was doing OK until Kennedy started to interfere, then we got space "Mods" on space Vespa scooters...

On 20/03/2024 at 04:09, FloatingFatMan said:

Really? The Book of Boba Fett was doing OK until Kennedy started to interfere, then we got space "Mods" on space Vespa scooters...

Boba Fett was never doing "OK" ... they should have left him to be digested for a thousand years in the sarlacc pit.  Best part of that show (but also adding to the mess) was when it turned into The Mandalorian Season 2.5.  The space mod "Vespa scooters" was just a cherry on the top of that 💩sundae.  How much of it can be blamed on Kathleen Kennedy (who I wish would step away from Star Wars)...I don't know.  She was producer on Andor and The Mandalorian which have been very good (S3 Mandalorian not so much)...but on the flip side ... Obi-Wan and Boba Fett which weren't...so  🤷‍♂️

Anyway, the show isn't out yet ... it could be "utter garbage" but maybe it won't be.  Not entirely sure it is fair to judge a show before it's even released...but you do you.  Once again, the trailer did absolutely nothing for me ... but I'll watch and see when it premieres.

On 20/03/2024 at 09:09, FloatingFatMan said:

Kennedy started to interfere, then we got space "Mods" on space Vespa scooters...

They just reeked of "we can sell toys of these hip kids vehicles"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 05/05/2024 at 06:19, FloatingFatMan said:

Kinda surprised they didn't launch this yesterday...

Quite honestly, what DID Disney do for Star Wars day?  Send a bunch of emails for the Disney Store featuring Star Wars merch.  I mean, I could argue that they didn't want to detract from the ending of Bad Batch... But then again, slap a very short exclusive trailer after the credits, that would have been something!

On 05/05/2024 at 01:19, FloatingFatMan said:

I wondered that too... get it together disney.

On 05/05/2024 at 11:38, Zathras5 said:

I wondered that too... get it together disney.

On 05/05/2024 at 01:19, FloatingFatMan said:

Wait till it gets hotter when people go back into homes and turn AC on for the summer...but seriously Bad Batch just ended which was good but too bad at the same time.

For the next month there is a lot going on with graduations and so is my guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for martial arts 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Welp... I'm done with Starwars....this is the most insulting bunch of garbage I've ever seen. I've heard EP3 goes so far extreme that it will effectively kill it.

Done and done.

• Haha 2

On 06/06/2024 at 03:45, sava700 said:

Welp... I'm done with Starwars....this is the most insulting bunch of garbage I've ever seen. I've heard EP3 goes so far extreme that it will effectively kill it.

Done and done.

Well, it IS Kennedy's show, so this was expected from the outset.  Only seen ep 1 so far and I'm pretty sure the "strong female lead" is a Mary Sue... I'll watch ep 2 later and decide if I'm gonna continue then...

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2024 at 05:11, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, it IS Kennedy's show, so this was expected from the outset.  Only seen ep 1 so far and I'm pretty sure the "strong female lead" is a Mary Sue... I'll watch ep 2 later and decide if I'm gonna continue then...

it's alright, some of the direction seems a bit off or clunky like they never directed anything before. Kinda like the obiwan series. Although the production value is much higher.  I like the main character, she doesn't seem to be a Mary Sue yet. I like powerful women 😛 

I do get annoyed when the writers / directors / all of the staff /special effects people can't understand that fire can't happen in a vacuum. I know giving out about physics in a space fantasy about wizards is silly but it's the little details ya know...

Edited by Som
physics, stoopid spell check
  • Like 2

On 06/06/2024 at 14:52, Som said:

fire can't happen in a vacuum

Utterly agreed, that bothered me, but it's a fantasy show - I'm not holding them accountable to physics.  That being said, those flames - they even had wind movement and so on - it was very silly!

• Like 1

On 06/06/2024 at 14:52, Som said:

I do get annoyed when the writers / directors / all of the staff /special effects people can't understand that fire can't happen in a vacuum. I know giving out about psychics in a space fantasy about wizards is silly but it's the little details ya know...

Gods yes, I totally rolled my eyes at that one.  It's a little detail, but little details MATTER and if they can't even be bothered to get such simple stuff right, that doesn't give me any confidence for the complicated stuff...

It was alright... not terrible but not great either.

Spoiler

The whole evil twin angle is kinda lame though. It's a space opera, not soap opera.

On 06/06/2024 at 15:11, FloatingFatMan said:

Gods yes, I totally rolled my eyes at that one.  It's a little detail, but little details MATTER and if they can't even be bothered to get such simple stuff right, that doesn't give me any confidence for the complicated stuff...

Number 2 out of 763 reasons why I don't like modern trek 😛 

• Like 1

....it sure is a slow burner.  Don't hate it ... don't love it ... on the fence if I like it or not.  Those flames were really terrible...like really?