Nero Burning Rom Platinum Suite--Keep Installed or Uninstalled

Question

Originally got it hoping to Convert some older Former VHS Recorded Series shows to DVD at the highest  quality possible,  but the few disks i did burn didn't seem to be in 16:9, and upconvertable to 1080P with my TV DVD player

Haven't used Nero Much since all that often, thought when i purchased it November 2023 i'd be using it more

So Question is today  

Leave Installed?

Or Uninstalled

P.S. Is a Lifetime License, not sure if i do uninstall it, if i can reinstall it or not in the future if i decide i do need it

11 answers to this question

I took the cd drive out of my laptop and replaced it with a hard drive bay.  I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but you could pull a few conclusions from it.

These former VHS Recorded Series are probably available in much better quality unless its something really obscure.

I personally would not be converting video files to DVD in 2024. You are better playing your media on the TV with a cheap Mini PC / Android TV box running Kodi, no need to convert the video or burn any DVD's.

• Like 3

On 14/04/2024 at 00:40, bikeman25 said:

...thought when i purchased it November 2023...

Woah...I'm surprised that anyone would buy burning software these days unless they were using it to provide a service.

I would say that if you have a lifetime licence, you're fine to uninstall it if you're not using it. You've got the licence key and receipt, right?

• Like 2

Yes I do have license key, receipt email as well and Account password 

Mini invest in a Mini PC in the future then, as the few DVD did burn, quality with DVD player wasn't that great afterwards

The show was a One season show from 1981, back on tv very late at night in 1995, recorded every episode 

Used it a little bit since November

Hello,

If you do choose to uninstall it, consider making a backup of your PC first, or at least re-downloading the last version of the software's installer that works with your license key.

I'm not sure why you would need to uninstall it, though, unless you need the drive space or is conflicting with another software package.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Posted (edited)

Well i typically don't keep programs on here that i don't use much, same goes for Games

C Boot M.2 where Nero Burning Rom Platinum was installed was 500GB M.2 NvMe

Game SSD 1TB

and 4TB Storage Drive (strictly for OneDrive storage and Music and Extra Downloads if needed

Did complete Full System Image before i went ahead with Uninstall

Did get Updated Installer in case i decide really need it for something in future, also have Account Email and Password backed up as well, so think i'm all covered 

There was No conflicts with any other software that i could tell

**Plus it was doing Notification Try Ads for Full Versions of other Programs at times, little Popup, of course i clicked Don't show again**  but i figured i haven't used it since December 10th, besides opening Nero start to check for updates here and there**

PC 2 Gaming Laptop (Definitely don't have room for it on there lol) if it went onto C Drive

C Drive on PC 2 is 128GB NvMe boot drive

Hitachi 1TB storage drive

Like already mentioned by InsaneNutter, burning standard video DVD's nowadays ain't really worth it anymore (unless it's something obscure that you can't find in better quality elsewhere etc). especially if you can just play the files through another device on the TV, like say through a laptop with HDMI port etc.

so while DVD ain't exactly 'dead', it's obviously taken a solid hit in general usage over say the last 10 years or so as it seems a lot of people moved on from physical media to streaming etc. personally when it comes to this stuff I am of the mindset I would always prefer to have a copy of something in my possession then use some streaming crap where it could disappear anytime. because if you got a copy, then you can always use that as something you can watch whenever you want into the future.

p.s. pretty much the only CD/DVD burning software I have used for a long time now is ImgBurn (works well on Linux once setup properly) as it's still nice to have around for a limited amount of higher importance data backup on DVD and even a occasional Audio CD I burn (I know 'Audio CD' is old for some, but sometimes the old ways are better than the newer stuff). I still think DVD is good for a limited amount of higher importance data backup as while many will say DVD is outdated etc it's still one of the best ways to backup a limited amount of higher importance data for long term storage. because as long as SATA ports don't disappear anytime soon and as long as drives that can read CD/DVD don't disappear anytime soon, which I am guessing won't be a issue for at least another 5-10+ years, I feel they will be something people could still use 10-20+ years from now to some degree. because short of general hard drive backup, which is better for general backup then DVD, DVD comes in handy for something you need to reliably depend on for 10-20+ years at least as I have a fair amount of DVD's I burned roughly 15 years ago and they are still in good running order to this day with no obvious degradation (as shown with KProbe etc). so if you are using quality media with decent burn quality etc, my guess is DVD's will last decades at least, which will be more than enough for most people.

I'm not sure what you are using to digitize the VHS tapes in the first place, but once you have a digital file to work with, you can always use Handbrake (free video conversion tool) to fix the formatting, upscale, etc. and then use something like Nero or ImgBurn (free disc reading/writing tool) to write to the DVDs.

An alternative to writing-to and watching-on DVDs could be using a media server such as Kodi or Plex to serve these videos directly from your computer to the client device you are watching them on (roku/firestick/media pc/etc).

• Like 2

Was Trying with Nero Recode to capture the VHS tapes with a USB Capture Device--Suprisingly being as old as 1995 when show reaired very lately on Local Fox Channel, Quality of original tapes wasn't bad 

Nero Video back in November, and sitting on Storage drive as mp4 files currently,  attempted to reconvert with Nero Recode/Nero Video into 16:9, 1080P discs, and first 3 discs didn't look so great with TV DVD Player lol,  so i finally just was like forget it.    

Not Digital video file expert by any means,  DVD Burner is a Portable Verbatim USB 3.0 drive.

Willing to Retry with Handbrake though if i should, do have the files backed up on another External

Discs using is Verbatim 25 Disc Pack of Verbatim AZO DVD-R 

On 16/04/2024 at 12:52, bikeman25 said:

Was Trying with Nero Recode to capture the VHS tapes with a USB Capture Device--Suprisingly being as old as 1995 when show reaired very lately on Local Fox Channel, Quality of original tapes wasn't bad 

Nero Video back in November, and sitting on Storage drive as mp4 files currently,  attempted to reconvert with Nero Recode/Nero Video into 16:9, 1080P discs, and first 3 discs didn't look so great with TV DVD Player lol,  so i finally just was like forget it.    

Not Digital video file expert by any means,  DVD Burner is a Portable Verbatim USB 3.0 drive.

Willing to Retry with Handbrake though if i should, do have the files backed up on another External

Discs using is Verbatim 25 Disc Pack of Verbatim AZO DVD-R 

I have had a decent amount of success with handbrake myself, however I mostly use it to reduce file size while retaining quality. If the mp4 files you are working with are decent quality, I think you should get some decent results out of handbrake as far as converting to 16:9 / 1080p goes.

Yeah they are decent quality, so will give Handbrake a shot in coming days here whenever time permits