Wifi via cell phone really slow

On 20/04/2024 at 06:23, jnelsoninjax said:

Unfortunately, I can not access the router (it's a gateway) and the password on the bottom of the modem is not working, even the technician had to call because he couldn't get in. So even if the channel I'm on is overloaded, I'm not able to change it. This is 2.4, we have smart bulbs and a camera that only operate on 2.4, so I just as a habit keep my phone connected to the 2.4

Screenshot_20240420-072652.thumb.png.597262aa42e39a4422b15ab1ae6370ec.png

There should be a reset button and restore the modem to the default setting.

You might need a paper clip to press it.

After that, the password should be set to the default printed on the modem.

On 20/04/2024 at 09:37, jnelsoninjax said:

I was just talking to my wife about that very thing, I pointed out that we are paying $8 a month for the modem, which, according to her, they just recently started doing. She has a router (Netgear AC1000), but when it was running the speeds were very slow which prompted a tech call out and the discovery that the router was the issue, when the PC was directly plugged into the modem, the speeds were back to where they should be. I don't know why that was an issue since the AC1000 can handle up to 1000mbs and we are only getting 200, but when the modem was in bridge mode and the router was handling the WiFi the speeds were around 1/4 of what we are getting now, and sites like YouTube were buffering allot.

Don't rent a modem.

Buy your own.

Zito Approved Cable Modems & Routers (zitomedia.net)

****CGMVM 2559 & CGMN 2252 Modems are the only modems compatible with our 200Mbps level of service****

So you are quite limited in your choices.

Edited by Mockingbird

On 27/04/2024 at 21:38, Mockingbird said:

****CGMVM 2559 & CGMN 2252 Modems are the only modems compatible with our 200Mbps level of service****

That doesn't make a lot of sense, docsis 3.1 modems are backwards compatible to 3.0

And they list the coda 56 on that page..  What are they doing different for their gig service vs their 200Mbps plan?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is they don't provide a firmware for the modem for the 200mbps plan, and only on their gig plan..  Stupid!!

I would do a bit of research on the net to see if anyone is using the coda56 on their 200mbps tier plan.. Its quite possible that list is dated and that note was placed their before they rolled our gig or something?

On 28/04/2024 at 06:21, BudMan said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense, docsis 3.1 modems are backwards compatible to 3.0

And they list the coda 56 on that page..  What are they doing different for their gig service vs their 200Mbps plan?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is they don't provide a firmware for the modem for the 200mbps plan, and only on their gig plan..  Stupid!!

I would do a bit of research on the net to see if anyone is using the coda56 on their 200mbps tier plan.. Its quite possible that list is dated and that note was placed their before they rolled our gig or something?

A Google search did not provide any information. I sent an email to the sales department asking them to confirm if that info is still correct. The next issue is the two gateways that are approved are rather old, and I can not find them new, only used, and my wife will not let me buy anything that is used, or even refurbished (despite me explaining that refurb is almost better than new). So unless the info is outdated, we are stuck paying $8 to Zito for a POS device that I can not even get into.

On 28/04/2024 at 07:45, jnelsoninjax said:

A Google search did not provide any information. I sent an email to the sales department asking them to confirm if that info is still correct. The next issue is the two gateways that are approved are rather old, and I can not find them new, only used, and my wife will not let me buy anything that is used, or even refurbished (despite me explaining that refurb is almost better than new). So unless the info is outdated, we are stuck paying $8 to Zito for a POS device that I can not even get into.

An alternative is to hook your own access point to the modem and use it. You’ll have to work around the double nat but it’s doable. 

There wouldn't be any double nat if they used an AP, or some wifi router as an AP.  If you were going to do that, I would want to turn off the wifi on the isp device so you don't have interference... If you can't do that, then if its using say channel 1 for 2.4 use 6 or 11 on your new AP.. For 5 also use a channel that doesn't interfere..  If its using 36, use say 149..

Posted (edited)

That's a good idea, I'm going to try that. @Budman have you heard of Netprobe? I ran across it on YouTube and have it running, the biggest thing I am getting from it is an almost 50% packet loss, and this is on a wired connection. What could be causing this? It is taking 15-30 seconds for me to post or edit my post here. Here is the current speedtest with the camera turned off 16188253056.png

Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2024 at 18:43, BudMan said:

I did a quick look at your packet captures, and the 1 shows like 6% dupe acks, which points to packet loss..

I will take a look, but seems like it only came out a few hours ago?

https://github.com/plaintextpackets/netprobe_lite/releases

I'm not sure. I saw the video last night so it's possible that what you're seeing is simply an update.

What would you be causing packet loss like this?

BTW, just as a point of interest, the current gateway that we're leasing is an Arris, and according to the list, this should not work on the 200mbps plan...

hahaha that is funny about the arris - what make and model? Did you mention that already?

I recall the ancient netgear with 100mbps interfaces..

Packet loss on the wireless could be interference - just horrible signal.. You need to figure out if the packet loss is happening on your end or out on the internet, could just be a crappy internet connection.

I would take the wireless out of the equation and wire direct to your router.. And then do say a 200 pings to say 8.8.8.8, also do a test to just your gateway, IP but without access to your router might be hard to see.. But you could do a traceroute, and ping the first hop after your router, so the first public IP most likely.

Here did a simple test to 8.8.8.8, 200 pings - no loss.. ping times are a bit off, but then I am also serving up off plex to 5 different people right now ;)

packetloss.thumb.jpg.4e9e77ca328ac6ae578098470a60aba1.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2024 at 20:18, BudMan said:

hahaha that is funny about the arris - what make and model? Did you mention that already?

I recall the ancient netgear with 100mbps interfaces..

Packet loss on the wireless could be interference - just horrible signal.. You need to figure out if the packet loss is happening on your end or out on the internet, could just be a crappy internet connection.

I would take the wireless out of the equation and wire direct to your router.. And then do say a 200 pings to say 8.8.8.8, also do a test to just your gateway, IP but without access to your router might be hard to see.. But you could do a traceroute, and ping the first hop after your router, so the first public IP most likely.

Here did a simple test to 8.8.8.8, 200 pings - no loss.. ping times are a bit off, but then I am also serving up off plex to 5 different people right now ;)

packetloss.thumb.jpg.4e9e77ca328ac6ae578098470a60aba1.jpg

Arris TG1682, and strangely enough, it is not on the list of approved modems :D.

I can not cut the wireless off at the moment since I can not access the settings of the gateway.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

I would bring that up to them ;) Its amazing these companies get anything to work at all..

So did you try the ping test, ping say 8.8.8.8, ping your device IP.. if when your pinging your gateways IP over wireless its your wireless that is crap, or just the device in general.

On 28/04/2024 at 06:21, BudMan said:

Hello,

Cable ISPs are weird.  I had to replace my Motorola MB8611 cable modem with a Hitron CODA56 cable modem in order to get service above 1,000Mbps.  This is despite the fact that both modems have identical specs (e.g., DOCSIS 3.1, 32×8 QAM, and 2.5GbE Ethernet ports).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 29/04/2024 at 01:44, goretsky said:

I had to replace my Motorola MB8611 cable modem with a Hitron CODA56 cable modem

I believe it has to do with who the isp partners with or gets licensing from.

The isp would normally deploy their firmware to have a device work with their network..  So it is quite common to see a limited number of options here.  Even if brand X can do or even exceed the specification of the connection.

I take it your not using one of these isps

"this DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem has been approved for all multi-Gigabit speed tiers by Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, and Cox. "

So here are the results of a tracert to Google and the ping to 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google.com [142.250.72.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    34 ms    35 ms    33 ms  192.228.94.100
  4    42 ms    39 ms    49 ms  173.246.240.125
  5    35 ms    42 ms    39 ms  173.246.240.66
  6    36 ms    35 ms    44 ms  216.239.54.61
  7    39 ms    44 ms    38 ms  142.251.51.221
  8    35 ms    43 ms    35 ms  den08s06-in-f14.1e100.net [142.250.72.14]

Trace complete.

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=118
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=118

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 42ms

you need to run way more than 4 pings to see if your having any issues.. Run like 100 min, 200 or even 1000..

Say you were having like 5% packet loss.. This might not present itself with just 4 pings... Especially if its only now and then.. Run a number of pings that will span enough time to catch the issue.. 

You would hope to have zero packet loss - but even with small % can reflect in non optimal internet performance.

I would start with min of 100, if not seeing any issues maybe run say 1000.. If still zero loss your connection is prob good.. But from your sniff and that high percentage of dups, you got something going on, be it only on your local wifi or to the internet.

With windows you can send a specific number of pings with the -n number added to the ping command.

edit:

Your larger pcap this is what jumped out at me that something is not right with just a quick glance

pcap.thumb.jpg.81cfb65660537772574d89a4796798d2.jpg

That number seems high for a well working network. And length of the capture.

edit2: this also seems out of wack

other.jpg.25f9666efa292e6a1973fcd2ff7fdaf3.jpg

While this doesn't always have to match up, depending on when you started the pcap, and what was going on when it started.. Or trying to talk to something that is not answer on purpose, etc.. Seeing 142 attempts to open a connection and only 122 answers in a short amount of time points to loss traffic.  That can also be seen in your retrans..  While not overly high, there is the one 32 retrans.. All of these things point to packet loss as possible reason for such issues.

So I called support and told him the issues we are having and he logged in to the modem and changed the wireless channel from automatic to 4-8 for the 2.4, which will help slightly, but it's not a long time cure. He also told me that the list of approved devices is outdated, and any of the modems on that list should work. He would not provide me with the password to the modem sighting that most people do not know what they're doing and could really screw things up...

On 29/04/2024 at 12:35, jnelsoninjax said:

rom automatic to 4-8 for the 2.4

What is that channel 4-8? That makes no sense - there are exactly 3 channels on 2.4 that do not overlap 1,6 and 11..  What vht are they running? 20mhz is really the only thing that should be used on 2.4.. While some devices can support 40mhz vht for 2.4.. Its not an approved or official mode.  And can promise you will run into problems. Did they do anything for your 5ghz? Did they set a channel, is it auto.. What vht? 40 should be good and enough for 200mbps,  80 vht would be better and can allow for say 400mbps without much issue.   But since you don't actually have more than 200mbps anyway, 40 would prob be the better choice.

So what speed do you get now on 2.4?

So since anything on their list should work - get a coda 56, and something decent for your actual wifi router.. Save your 8$ a month in their fee, and get actual control over your wifi.. and network, etc.  In like 2 years or 2.5 you should be saving money..  Equipment should be good for 5 years min.. So even if takes you 2.5 to back your cost of equipment.. You end up saving like 240 bucks easy over the 5 year period.  And with new docsis 3.1 modem, you prob could get more than 5 years out of it, etc.

Have you run an actual long ping test?  I mean a 200 ping takes 3 minutes something to complete..

On 29/04/2024 at 05:43, BudMan said:

I believe it has to do with who the isp partners with or gets licensing from.

The isp would normally deploy their firmware to have a device work with their network..  So it is quite common to see a limited number of options here.  Even if brand X can do or even exceed the specification of the connection.

I take it your not using one of these isps

"this DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem has been approved for all multi-Gigabit speed tiers by Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, and Cox. "

Hello,

Comcast Xfinity.  I discussed it in a little more detail in this message.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20240429-173604.thumb.png.80fe615430847c6556841b5b32d87096.png

On 29/04/2024 at 12:21, BudMan said:

What is that channel 4-8? That makes no sense - there are exactly 3 channels on 2.4 that do not overlap 1,6 and 11..  What vht are they running? 20mhz is really the only thing that should be used on 2.4.. While some devices can support 40mhz vht for 2.4.. Its not an approved or official mode.  And can promise you will run into problems. Did they do anything for your 5ghz? Did they set a channel, is it auto.. What vht? 40 should be good and enough for 200mbps,  80 vht would be better and can allow for say 400mbps without much issue.   But since you don't actually have more than 200mbps anyway, 40 would prob be the better choice.

So what speed do you get now on 2.4?

So since anything on their list should work - get a coda 56, and something decent for your actual wifi router.. Save your 8$ a month in their fee, and get actual control over your wifi.. and network, etc.  In like 2 years or 2.5 you should be saving money..  Equipment should be good for 5 years min.. So even if takes you 2.5 to back your cost of equipment.. You end up saving like 240 bucks easy over the 5 year period.  And with new docsis 3.1 modem, you prob could get more than 5 years out of it, etc.

Have you run an actual long ping test?  I mean a 200 ping takes 3 minutes something to complete..

Here is the speedtest results, first one is on the 5G, second is the 2.4

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/10077072005

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/10077073630

Here is the 200 packet ping results:

Ping statistics for 142.250.72.14:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 185, Lost = 15 (7% loss),
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 1062ms, Average = 59ms

so 7% loss - yeah that internet connection is going to be kind of crappy.. But work..  You will for sure notice 7% loss..

Is that wireless?  Do the same test just to your routers IP..

Yeah you have some idiots running 40mhz on 2.4..  Sot those 3 wide bells that center on 6 and go to between 2 and 10..  Atleast the signal strength is low..

From that graph, channel 11 would be your best choice. I would say that Arris 2F3B is yours.. Or someone right next to yours with -35 signal. So when they said 4-8, they meant running on channel 6..  Stupid way to express it, your running on channel 6.. Which from other signal strengths 11 would be a better choice.

But your never going to have anything that is not going to feel bad with 7% loss.

Posted (edited)

2F3B is us. I'll ask support to switch to channel 11. Until I get my own modem I'll just hope they will adjust the wireless channel.

The ping test is from the computer to Google

So from a wired connection?  Ping to the routers IP..  If that is wired connection, its just your internet is crap..

If wireless try just pinging your routers IP vs the whole internet, if you see the same loss then your problem is local, if you see zero then just the internet is crap.

Here is a wireless ping to the interent, ie google - notice zero loss

wifiping.jpg.ef80fae7e91a1fefea99c8c21db0b5df.jpg

But 7% packet loss is not going to make for a good experience be it local or the isp problem.  If isp problem have them fix it!!!

So funny is your packet capture with the high dupe count, works out to exactly 7% of your 72500 packets in the sniff.. So that matches up with your packet loss % you seeing just from the ping test.

edit: I just ran a 10min sniff on my network.. Not just my machine but all machine on my lan - and serving up to 4 people off plex currently..  Where you had 5000 dupes in 72500 total packets, I had 7 out of 315000 packets.

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 19:12, BudMan said:

So from a wired connection?  Ping to the routers IP..  If that is wired connection, its just your internet is crap..

If wireless try just pinging your routers IP vs the whole internet, if you see the same loss then your problem is local, if you see zero then just the internet is crap.

Here is a wireless ping to the interent, ie google - notice zero loss

wifiping.jpg.ef80fae7e91a1fefea99c8c21db0b5df.jpg

But 7% packet loss is not going to make for a good experience be it local or the isp problem.  If isp problem have them fix it!!!

So funny is your packet capture with the high dupe count, works out to exactly 7% of your 72500 packets in the sniff.. So that matches up with your packet loss % you seeing just from the ping test.

edit: I just ran a 10min sniff on my network.. Not just my machine but all machine on my lan - and serving up to 4 people off plex currently..  Where you had 5000 dupes in 72500 total packets, I had 7 out of 315000 packets.

Here is a 200 packet ping from PC to modem:

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 200, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 1ms

What is your take on this? Note the time(s)Screenshot2024-04-29220247.thumb.png.388170da98af35f6e5890cf69010be59.png