Windows 11, BSOD "Critical Process Died"

I have been hired by a local person to attempt to fix her HP laptop. I spent two hours this morning running SFC/Scannow, WhoCrashed to analyze the dump files, but they were corrupt. I ran a chkdsk /f on the drive and it corrected the corruption, but now she just texted me with a screenshot of the BSOD showing Critical Process Died, and a Google search leads me to do everything that I have already done. This is the first time I have ever seen this BSOD so I am wondering what exactly I might try next. When I ran SFC before it corrected two files, both named BT_XXX so I am assuming that it is Bluetooth, but nothing BT was used on the laptop, but obviously it is likely always running.

Sounds like you need to make a couple USB boot drives.  One to do a memory test, one to boot into the windows recovery environment so you can test the hard drive and files without running off the computers internal drive, and third would be a good antivirus so you can make sure there's not a virus corrupting the environment.

If it were me, I'd probably put the Windows ISO onto a USB key and run the system repair. It should replace the OS without removing the currently installed programs and user data. Although as always, since you're able to access the OS for a bit of time you should backup the data first to be safe.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2024 at 20:15, micko68 said:

@jnelsoninjax did you just run sfc /scannow or did you follow up with some DISM commands? If only sfc, try he following which can take some time to run

sfc/scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth    <-- Usually completes and does nothing
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
sfc /scannow

DISM should detect and fix Windows Image/System Files.

I did the whole DISM command. I have a batch file that runs sfc and DISM

On 28/05/2024 at 02:31, Kelxin said:

Sounds like you need to make a couple USB boot drives.  One to do a memory test, one to boot into the windows recovery environment so you can test the hard drive and files without running off the computers internal drive, and third would be a good antivirus so you can make sure there's not a virus corrupting the environment.

I am thinking about that if the issue persists. Unfortunately they are using Norton and the laptop also had McAfee installed, I uninstalled McAfee, would love to get rid of NAV as well since Defender is also running.

On 28/05/2024 at 02:48, Nick H. said:

If it were me, I'd probably put the Windows ISO onto a USB key and run the system repair. It should replace the OS without removing the currently installed programs and user data. Although as always, since you're able to access the OS for a bit of time you should backup the data first to be safe.

I suggested that to her. I told her that a reinstall was a surefire way to correct any problems, now obviously if the issue is hardware then the problem will persist, but I am not certain that I can really do much more.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

SFC/Scannow takes 2 hours to run ? That's not normal... Dump corrupted, not normal either ;) 

First thing I'd, before any sfc or anything is checking the Event Viewer, it seems more like a hardware issue than anything else... 

There are multiple tools to get more info, like tools from the sysinternal suite, but also all the tools from MS like windows-performance-analyzer that I recently discovered and are just impressive... but also complex.

One way or another, this will provide some information over the actual issue.

But file corrupted and the rest, looks like an hardware issue indeed. 

The first thing I'd do is check the smart data of the drive with a bootable utility, followed by a memory test

Hello,

Just to check, have you made a backup image of the computer's drive before attempting any changes to it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 03/07/2024 at 19:47, Warwagon said:

The first thing I'd do is check the smart data of the drive with a bootable utility, followed by a memory test

Yeah, I mentioned that back in May but he hasn't replied in quite some time on this, so guessing this post is dead.