Insyde Software releases AI BIOS

would you trust an AI BIOS?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. would you trust an ai bios?

SmartSelect_20240604-162501_Lite.thumb.jpg.6b10644d5a3924f81f4a490b84dea20c.jpg

would you trust an AI BIOS?

here's their statement

Insyde® Software Brings Higher Intelligence to PCs with aiBIOS™ Technology To Be Shown at Computex Taipei

First-of-its-Kind “Smart BIOS” Harnesses AI Capabilities to Deliver Configurability and User Experience Improvements

COMPUTEX TAIPEI – June 4, 2024 – Insyde® Software, a leading provider of UEFI BIOS and OpenBMC-based systems management firmware, today announced aiBIOS™, the industry’s first AI-powered firmware-assist technology. Adaptable to a broad set of applications and usage scenarios within the company’s UEFI firmware, the first implementation of the technology is aimed at assisting end-users and automating configuration of the BIOS Setup process.

aiBIOS leverages an LLM to integrate AI capabilities into Insyde Software’s flagship firmware solution, InsydeH2O® UEFI BIOS. It provides the ability to interpret the PC user’s request, analyze their specific hardware, and parse through the LLM’s extensive knowledge base of BIOS and computer terminology to make the appropriate changes to the BIOS Setup. This breakthrough technology helps address a major hurdle for PC users that require or desire changes to their BIOS Setup for their personal computers but do not fully understand the meaning of the settings available to them.

The aiBIOS technology can also be leveraged by computer manufacturers to enhance end-user technical support, providing the capability to enhance the support experience for end-users and support staff with quick, correct responses that can help reduce and/or shorten technical support calls.

“aiBIOS provides new ways for how people interact with and maximize the potential of their PC, while also reducing the burden on manufacturer customer support,” said Jeremy Wang, Chairman and CEO of Insyde Software. “We believe this exciting new AI-powered firmware-assist technology will help our customers deliver even more valuable computing experiences to market,” added Wang.

For more details and demonstrations of aiBIOS™ technology, Insyde Software is meeting its customers and partners on the 12th floor of The Place Taipei Hotel, in Taipei, Taiwan, starting June 4th through June 7th, 2024. Visitors planning to attend can contact their Insyde Account Manager to arrange an appointment.

About Insyde Software
Insyde Software (www.insyde.com) is a leading worldwide provider of UEFI BIOS and OpenBMC-based systems management firmware, systems management solutions and custom engineering services for companies in the mobile, server, desktop and IoT (Internet-of-Things) computing industries. The company is publicly held (6231.TWO) and headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan with U.S. headquarters in Westborough, MA. The company’s customers include the world’s leading computing, communications and storage device designers and manufacturers.

• Like 1

No, I want to control it. Not let the AI choose..

On 04/06/2024 at 23:23, Mindovermaster said:

No, I want to control it. Not let the AI choose..

Same but this sounds like BS. The BIOS/UEFI has enough resources to run an "AI"? Assume it would need to connect to Internet. Nope!

On 04/06/2024 at 22:32, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

Same but this sounds like BS. The BIOS/UEFI has enough resources to run an "AI"? Assume it would need to connect to Internet. Nope!

Well coming from RemixedCat, it might be BS. :huh:

On 04/06/2024 at 23:46, Mindovermaster said:

Well coming from RemixedCat, it might be BS. :huh:

Ayyy!!! It's not... it's not my bios and I don't work for insyde software 

• Haha 1

Just seems like a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist if you ask me.  I wonder if anyone ever asked for this or if it's just another attempt to jump on the AI bandwagon and cram in functionality that does not need to be there.

I'm not a luddite - I love new technology and new things to play around with, but these kinds of features are just unnecessary.

• Like 2

Hello,

It's the creation of the model that is resource intensive, something like this which is very narrow in scope.  My employer's software has some AI/ML functionality in it, and those libraries take up multiple megabytes on PCs.  The datasets which are used to create them are much larger.

What I would be more interested in having is an expert system that made recommendations to me about changes to the BIOS (technically UEFI) firmware's settings and gave me enough information about what a setting did, and what benefit I could expect from changing it, which is what I think @Mindovermaster was interested in as well.  Here's a *very* hypothetical example of what I would expect from such a system:

Hello Aryeh, this is your Insyde® aiBIOS™ with a recommendation for you:  I am currently configured to check for and boot from a USB flash drive first if one is present when the computer is powered up.  I noticed is has been forty-five (45) days since you last booted your computer from an USB flash drive. 

Checking for a USB flash drive slows down the boot process by 1.5 seconds each time your computer powers up.  Disabling this feature so th computer first boots from its internal drive will save you 9 minutes and 7.5 seconds per year.

Would you like for me to disable the option to boot from a USB flash drive? 

[Y]es - disable booting from USB flash drives.
[N]o - do not make any changes to the BIOS settings
[D]o not ask you again about changes to BIOS settings again.

You can always ask me to undo the change if you don't like it by going into the settings.

Now, that may be a bit more human-sounding (and resource-intensive) than necessary, but that's more of a conceptual flow than the actual output I'd expect to see.  And I expect it would be more like examining the computer's usage of the firmware settings and making recommendations based on matching that to the pre-computed model which weights what are ideal settings (as determined by Insyde's data scientists), as opposed to actually learning about what I'm doing on the computer and making making recommendations based on that.

One thing I would be concerned about is if the system had LLM-style hallucinations where it made non-optimal recommendations based off of those, or because it misinterpreted my use of the system (i.e., recommending settings that were actually worse for the work I was doing, because it had no comprehension of the work)..

Like I said, it is an interesting idea, but I would really want to limit it to just providing recommendations, and also have a way to easily back those changes out should they prove to be sub-optimal.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 05/06/2024 at 05:40, goretsky said:

Hello,

It's the creation of the model that is resource intensive, something like this which is very narrow in scope.  My employer's software has some AI/ML functionality in it, and those libraries take up multiple megabytes on PCs.  The datasets which are used to create them are much larger.

What I would be more interested in having is an expert system that made recommendations to me about changes to the BIOS (technically UEFI) firmware's settings and gave me enough information about what a setting did, and what benefit I could expect from changing it, which is what I think @Mindovermaster was interested in as well.  Here's a *very* hypothetical example of what I would expect from such a system:

Now, that may be a bit more human-sounding (and resource-intensive) than necessary, but that's more of a conceptual flow than the actual output I'd expect to see.  And I expect it would be more like examining the computer's usage of the firmware settings and making recommendations based on matching that to the pre-computed model which weights what are ideal settings (as determined by Insyde's data scientists), as opposed to actually learning about what I'm doing on the computer and making making recommendations based on that.

One thing I would be concerned about is if the system had LLM-style hallucinations where it made non-optimal recommendations based off of those, or because it misinterpreted my use of the system (i.e., recommending settings that were actually worse for the work I was doing, because it had no comprehension of the work)..

Like I said, it is an interesting idea, but I would really want to limit it to just providing recommendations, and also have a way to easily back those changes out should they prove to be sub-optimal.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

imagine someone making people do an even more extreme form of "delete system32" with this

most of the time you cannot even trust the manufacturer to not screw up the BIOS and you expect me to trust some machine learning algorithm?? no thanks lol.

this is how simple Insyde H2O bios is allready I don't see the need for AI for it

GPWCxg2XwAAX_P_.thumb.jpeg.1b4933be3694304f0c761962291456b2.jpeg

GPWCxpOXcAA3Rts.thumb.jpeg.68c90241506d27b2d2a2f9d06422e94c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

guys it gets worse.... IT'S A FULL CHATBOT

04fb-0a1dde674b4fa4ad6cbae6158fca64e3.thumb.png.27c1bacb8834c11ec26f840534bb7660.png

• Facepalm 1

Would I trust narrow AI to per-configure my bios, no.
I prefer my privacy over giving my data, and willing to research, experiment & test on my own.

Now down the road when we have offline, baked in self configuring auto-optimization bios, that would be cool.