What is a way to discuss Security???

Forum's Rules forbid to post malware techniques. But how to fight those issues w/o Education & Sharing????  i'm totally confused...

Posted (edited)

Huh? This is what the forum rules say...

Do not post links to exploits, malware, or websites that produce undesired effects to our members.
This includes browser crashes, multiple pop-up screens, DOS attacks, or similar results. Links will be removed, threads closed, and members will be warned or suspended.

How does posting links that serve up malware, exploits, or crash my browser protect me or further my education? LOL

If you want to discuss how malware is designed/created there are much better dedicated forums for that.

• Like 2

On 06/06/2024 at 08:44, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

How does posting links that serve up malware, exploits, or crash my browser protect me or further my education? LOL

If you want to discuss how malware is designed/created there are much better dedicated forums for that.

Posting discussions of malware that include links also puts our website in legal jeopardy, hence it is not permitted.

On 06/06/2024 at 15:44, Good Bot, Bad Bot said:

actually, it's not a weaponized exploit - i did it not to harm Your or Whoever else Security ==>> i just have pinpointed the Problem & 2nd stage is to discuss how to mitigate that threat.

On 06/06/2024 at 14:50, SarK0Y said:

actually, it's not a weaponized exploit - i did it not to harm Your or Whoever else Security ==>> i just have pinpointed the Problem & 2nd stage is to discuss how to mitigate that threat.

The hosting of the DISCUSSION can put the site into legally contentious grounds!

On 06/06/2024 at 16:52, Dick Montage said:

The hosting of the DISCUSSION can put the site into legally contentious grounds!

So, here is no way to discuss that topic.. well then, the Question is closed. :)

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2024 at 04:23, SarK0Y said:

Forum's Rules forbid to post malware techniques. But how to fight those issues w/o Education & Sharing????  i'm totally confused...

Hello,

As someone whose day job is literally* to educate and share information about malicious software, I would say that it is far more helpful to explain how the malware works, and share information about to prevent, detect and remediate it, is far more valuable than the sharing of samples of said malware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

*I just had my semi-annual review about week and a half ago, and education and sharing figured prominently in it.  Without getting into numbers, management was very happy with my work during the covered timeframe.

On 07/06/2024 at 06:18, goretsky said:

Hello,

As someone whose day job is literally* to educate and share information about malicious software, I would say that it is far more helpful to explain how the malware works, and share information about to prevent, detect and remediate it, is far more valuable than the sharing of samples of said malware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

*I just had my semi-annual review about week and a half ago, and education and sharing figured prominently in it.  Without getting into numbers, management was very happy with my work during the covered timeframe.

frankly, i just follow the simple principle ==>> PoC is needed. 1st PoC is rather harmless, it uses aliases of fish/bash to hijack sudo, then prints silly prompt (partial solution is making  ~/.fishrc & ~/.bashrc only-read). 2nd PoC i made dedicated to just well-prepared Researchers, because it can really harm computer w/ overheating + mechanical damage for hdds is possible too.. Modern operating systems must seriously rethink the way of syscalls. However, most simple solution is downclocking hw, good-ol' bare metal is not that fragile. :)

On 08/06/2024 at 05:33, SarK0Y said:

frankly, i just follow the simple principle ==>> PoC is needed. 1st PoC is rather harmless, it uses aliases of fish/bash to hijack sudo, then prints silly prompt (partial solution is making  ~/.fishrc & ~/.bashrc only-read). 2nd PoC i made dedicated to just well-prepared Researchers, because it can really harm computer w/ overheating + mechanical damage for hdds is possible too.. Modern operating systems must seriously rethink the way of syscalls. However, most simple solution is downclocking hw, good-ol' bare metal is not that fragile. :)

Common sense says that this is not a place for linking to and using POC exploits to discuss security. 

• Like 2