Need Little Help

Running Sparky. fork of Debian Testing Branch. Latest version.

I had to install a dependency, so after that, everything just started to go wonky. Some icons weren't on my desktop panel. Some programs just plain stopped working.

So I restart my system, thinking that might fix it.

But after restart, it took me to the login screen. I never saw this, as I set it to login automatically. I tried to put in my username and password, did flat out nothing. Didn't print out an error that I mistyped it.

I then thought of going into TTY1. All I see is a blinking "_" So I could never log into it.

I DO have timeshift backups, but the thing is, I cant even get into the system. TTY1 or TTY2.

If any of you can help with this, I'd be grateful. I might just need to reinstall. I've been wanting to for ages, but been pushing it off until now.

I looked around the net, there's nothing that I find that can help. :(

Edit: I'm just running Siduction off a USB stick. So I haven't written anything to the M.2 SSD yet. (been wanting to try it out)

I recently had a MESA driver update go wrong and my system booted into a blank screen. I was able to get to a command-line login prompt with the following:

At the grub menu hit e to edit the boot parameters.

Add a 3 to the end of the line that starts with linux.

Hit F10 to boot with the modified parameters.

Maybe this will help you get to Timeshift (I've never used this).

I might try that later. Thanks. :)

just out of curiosity, what dependency did you have to install?

On 21/06/2024 at 14:59, Brandon H said:

just out of curiosity, what dependency did you have to install?

Oh gosh, I can't remember..

I'm running off a USB stick right now. So I'm not connected to the SSD.

On 21/06/2024 at 10:05, Mindovermaster said:

Oh gosh, I can't remember..

I'm running off a USB stick right now. So I'm not connected to the SSD.

reason I asked is because I would find it odd for a single dependency to cause such havoc, though since you are saying you've been needing to reinstall anyway, maybe it was just a tipping point for the system.

On 21/06/2024 at 15:09, Brandon H said:

reason I asked is because I would find it odd for a single dependency to cause such havoc, though since you are saying you've been needing to reinstall anyway, maybe it was just a tipping point for the system.

I just looked at the apt logs. At /var/log/apt/term.log

I found something freaky. I deleted everything having to do with KDE.. I had no knowledge of this.

Well, guess it's time to back everything up. and reinstall.

I've been wanting to go with Siduction for a few months now.

OK, I'm on Siduction now. Applying updates and moving files around.

I rather like Siduction. It's based off Debian Sid (unstable branch) So it's like the Arch of Debian. Newest and greatest.

The Arch of debian would be the experimental branch. There's still a bit of a wait for new stuff to make it to sid. For example, Gnome in sid is a mishmash of 44, 45 and 46.

Otherwise it's pretty solid for an "unstable" branch. Much better than trixie.

I'm back on EndeavourOS. I ran into some big problems with Debian. And Endeavour just.. works.

• Like 2

I have found that over the years of installing various Linux distros, it is sometimes better to just reinstall or change distros. I can not tell you the countless number of hours that I have spent trying to resolve dependency issues in older versions of Linux. The result was that I had a distro that just didn't work right so I uninstalled it anyway. I guess that you learn from working through problems, but at some point, it is better to cut your losses.

On 23/06/2024 at 18:22, Barney T. said:

I have found that over the years of installing various Linux distros, it is sometimes better to just reinstall or change distros. I can not tell you the countless number of hours that I have spent trying to resolve dependency issues in older versions of Linux. The result was that I had a distro that just didn't work right so I uninstalled it anyway. I guess that you learn from working through problems, but at some point, it is better to cut your losses.

Regrettably, yes.. I've always been a Debian boy, but lately, Arch-based distros have opened my eyes.

I've been toying with the idea of giving Fedora another shot here. I tried it in my initial month of distro-hopping last summer before settling on debian. It was more annoying than I expected and didn't last long. Thinking back I bet most of that came from it using a current Gnome as I hadn't used that before. Now that I've been using Gnome for the last year I'd probably have a better time with Fedora.

I might try debian exprimental before that just to see how that goes. if it blows up I'll have an excuse to wipe and put on Fedora.

I started out with Manjaro and then vanilla Arch but found it was too easy to break them when adding/removing stuff via the AUR.