What old timey shell extension is this?

Just for giggles I set up a Windows XP virtual  machine, mostly for some old retro gaming that just doesn't run well anymore on current setups. Came across a screenshot of an old old old build from almost 20 years ago and I used to use a shell extension that replaced XP Explorer's sidebar with one that I could add custom bookmarks to. I more or less found all my old stuff (themes, tweaks etc) but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of this thing. Any old timers remember what this is? I mean it's stupid and totally unnecessary for a virtual machine, I can feel it's on the tip of my tongue but my stupid brain won't give it up and now I'm taking it personally. 

What Is This.png

I don't know for certain since I never used it, but taking a quick look around it looks like TweakUI was able to do something similar.

I also found the following instructions instead of using TweakUI:

First go to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar and then you will see five DWORD values, They are Places0 to Places4. Their values can be:

Desktop - 0x00
Network Neighborhood - 0x12
Favorites - 0x06
History - 0x22
My Documents - 0x05
My Pictures - 0x27
My Music - 0x0D
Recent Documents - 0x08
My Computer - 0x11

I don't know if either options are what you did before, though.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure that could be edited with a shell.xml (of sorts) in the C:\Windows folder but yeah, it was over 20 years ago 😛 

Such a thing might even be here in this forum section if you can search for the right keywords.

• Like 2