Apple's Obsession With Animations

Why is it that Apple has this incredible obsession with animations? From their desktop OS to the iPhone to Apple TV. Animations are something that some people like, and some people (like me) do not like. The least they could do is give the user the ability (option) to turn off ALL the animations should they want to do so, like Windows does. In Windows if you want to turn off all the animations to make the UI snappier, you can, but on Mac OS you cannot. Only a few animations can be turned off, but not all of them. It's very annoying to not have full control of your OS.

On 01/07/2024 at 00:38, spacelordmaster said:

Why is it that Apple has this incredible obsession with animations? From their desktop OS to the iPhone to Apple TV. Animations are something that some people like, and some people (like me) do not like. The least they could do is give the user the ability (option) to turn off ALL the animations should they want to do so, like Windows does. In Windows if you want to turn off all the animations to make the UI snappier, you can, but on Mac OS you cannot. Only a few animations can be turned off, but not all of them. It's very annoying to not have full control of your OS.

Time to move to Windows. 

On 01/07/2024 at 04:05, adrynalyne said:

Time to move to Windows. 

Oh hell no. Why? To be riddled with ads, bloatware and viruses? No thanks.

If you are having difficulty with the current UX then you can turn off all animations in Accessibility sections within the Settings app.  Apple have always allowed super granular customisation with UI/UX settings to allow for different conditions.  

• Like 1

On 01/07/2024 at 05:14, AshUK said:

If you are having difficulty with the current UX then you can turn off all animations in Accessibility sections within the Settings app.  Apple have always allowed super granular customisation with UI/UX settings to allow for different conditions.  

Yes it lets you turn off SOME, but not all.

Apple makes things pretty for people that like and design pretty things. The downside is that if you don't like their vision, you're going to have a tough time.

With that said, I have come across TinkerTool which you might find interesting. Although note that I don't have a Mac, and I have not used this tool before so I don't know how well it works. But there seem to be some animation options available if you take a look at the details page of the site.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2024 at 03:38, spacelordmaster said:

Animations hide pauses and other things that happen, makes it feel snappier than it really is... that one of the reasons why OSX had so many... even a half a second gives a computer a lot of time to do a process before you realize it did it... open a file window? the time it takes to read the file allocation table to get the contents that window animated and you never realized it.

• Like 1

Apple products aren't really for the want it your way crowd.  LOL

>It's very annoying to not have full control of your OS.

Please tell me you didn't say that and don't use Linux at some level.

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2024 at 11:32, Nick H. said:

Apple makes things pretty for people that like and design pretty things. The downside is that if you don't like their vision, you're going to have a tough time.

With that said, I have come across TinkerTool which you might find interesting. Although note that I don't have a Mac, and I have not used this tool before so I don't know how well it works. But there seem to be some animation options available if you take a look at the details page of the site.

TinkerTool for macOS works very well. It can turn off additional animations that @spacelordmaster looks for to be turned off. I personally don't find all animations jarring. Just some, like the Genie animation for minimizing windows to the Dock. I use Scale instead. Or Suck In - that's available as a hidden option in Deeper. When I have turned off all animations I feel like I'm left with a poorer user experience.

If not TinkerTool, then Deeper (free as well) from https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/deeper.html

On 01/07/2024 at 00:38, spacelordmaster said:

As someone that has cringed at the "toilet flush" (they can say genie all they want) minimize animation in MacOS ever since it was first introduced, I feel this. The scale effect is a billion times better, but this is my "I'm the only person on the planet who feels this way" moment, because every single Mac user in the world absolutely adores flush minimize. Like the love for it is so inexplicably high that they act like it's a defining characteristic of the operating system, and to disable it would make it "less of a Mac" or something.