Newer Desktop Ordered/Delivering in 2 days

Question

Hello All

Newer Desktop Ordered and delivering in 2 days---Should i save funds to get a newer Windows 11 Pro License,  or should i transfer if possible the current license from this current I7 10700 Desktop to the newer Machine, and if i find another use for this current Desktop then get  a new license?        

Originally planned to trade this one in a local shop if i can get it there to go towards PC 2 replacement or possibly a not too high powered system to replace family PC downstairs that is running AMD LIano A6 3620, 8gb of Ram,  1TB Sata SSD (replaced dead hard drive)   ((this current case that this I7 is in will not fit in Downstairs PC desk at all)   putting it next to the desk not an option due to no room next to the desk on either side.      

**I can Manage with Windows 11 Home for a bit if need be with the newer system, then get Pro Later on if its the most legal way of doing things**

15 answers to this question

No credit card?  When I buy a new PC I open a new card that has a zero interest for so many X months promo for whatever balance I don't have cash for (or don't want to tie up my cash with) and get everything at once.

Do you actually need the Pro version?

Posted (edited)

Well I typically used Remote Desktop feature to work on 3rd household PC when I didn't wanna get up from my desk

PC 2 gaming laptop I'll worry on in 2025 replacing I think

On 11/07/2024 at 11:27, bikeman25 said:

Well I typically used Remote Desktop feature to work on 3rd household PC when I didn't wanna get up from my desk

PC 2 gaming laptop I'll worry on in 2025 replacing I think

https://anydesk.com/en free alterative for remote desktop

Posted (edited)

Ok will check that out

Edited by bikeman25

If you want Windows 11 Pro due to the remote desktop feature, save up for it. Things taste better when you pay cash for them.

I'm with you, though. I use Remote desktops a lot, and I also have a wireguard VPN setup where I use Remote desktop.

Well ok will work on saving for it as hard as i can then, otherwise i should be pretty much set,  do plan on getting 2nd M.2 for the new machine that is PCie Gen 4 possibly 500GB boot drive, and use the 1TB included drive as Game M.2, and transition Sata SSD to Music/and light video file storage at times

Hello,

I would suggest replacing the AMD LIano A6 3620-based family PC with the Intel Core i7-10700-based one, moving whatever parts you want between the two systems as needed so it is suitable for use.  Then, go ahead and do whatever you want with the AMD LIano A6 3620-based PC (resell or donate it, etc.).   This will leave you with your new personal use system, a newly-upgraded family PC system, and no leftover PC taking up space.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Posted (edited)

Yeah that is what i finally fully decided on a few hours ago,   Hopefully this Current Intel I7 10700 case fits under desk where the Current HP System is at the moment lol.      Of course i'll probably have to dust clean it more often i'm sure....finds a picture of the current desk the HP is under haha

Picture wasn't too long ago, thats when i tried to setup Family with a Mini PC, but the thing over heated and kept crashing with Critical Process Died blue screen,   they bugged me so much on to get it fixed, i finally just returned it to Amazon, and didn't bother getitng another.     I do have a spare Monitor with HDMI though,  since the  current Monitor down there is DVI or VGA lol

((Always hit my head on that darn desk trying to plug in USB Cables in the rear of that HP lol,  might even throw in my 7 Port USB Hub lol, as new board is gonna have 1 Type C, and 7 Type A ports)

20230709_110152.png

Transfer the licence, and install Linux on the older machine to play around with for a bit. As others have said, there is RDP software (TeamViewer is cross-platform) that would still allow you remote access to the machine without any hassle.

Not a Bad idea there either at all.     This would be a no brainer if i had room space like i did years ago lol,  i'd definitely install Linux on one of the older machines to start learning it.          Anyways will get it all sorted out in due time here....could always have this Intel 10700  case swapped at Local PC place, and then it might fit in desk where the HP is currently lol.         

Never ever liked the Family PC desk, i refused to use that for my own system years ago lol,  ((they bought 2 of them in the past lol...I was like nah i'll stick to my 2004 Tower Desk lol with open airflow 

(My Current Desk with Old Chair back about 3 months ago lol) --Think newer Tower will fit just fine lol

20201230_171558.jpg

Posted (edited)

Update:  Managed to get approval to purchase a PCie 4.0 M.2 500GB Drive from Cruical,  though might not install it immediately, plus its coming a few days after i get system lol.    So possibly next weekend for the Clean install.    Then 500GB M.2 will be Boot drive like current setup, and 1TB M.2 will be Game M.2 i think

Question: Does it Matter what M.2 Slot boot Drive is in,  and 2nd One?     

((will Be first time i ever had 2 M.2 Slots)) 

And Sata SSD will be used for storing the Music, and Possibly Video storage/Onedrive once clean install done

For Tempoary i'll use the Sata SSD from Current PC, and use that as Temp Game drive and maybe a few small programs.   

Then weekend after exporting the drivers, prepare for Clean install,  Clean install video card driver,  if any missing from Device manager, point it to Exported Drivers and should be set i think

((Then after Clean install done, and all is good--Backup Image gonna be done first thing before too much installed lol)  

Might leave out Nero Burning Rom Platinum Suite, not sure yet

**I probably over complicate things, and maybe will stress myself out lol**

Edited by bikeman25

I hope you got a good deal on the 500 GB M.2 drive. Prime Day is around the corner, so I would look if there are any true deals (sometimes they mark things up, so check camelcamelcamel or keepa to see if it's an actual deal) on SSD's. 1 TB drives now can be found for as low as $55.

Depends on your motherboard - check to see which one is preferred. Is this a prebuilt or did you build it yourself?

That seems overly complicated. If you know what drivers you need, why are you exporting them? 

Posted (edited)

Ibuypower Ready Build (PreBuilt)  as too many interruptions to attempt building myself,    I'm not subscribed to Amazon prime, and Family Controls my money so most likely won't be able to get anything for Prime days---i have to get approval for anything i want, unless i save up MS Bing Reward gift cards and then i can get things myself 

Motherboard is MSI B650 Pro VC WIfi according to Spec sheet in Ibuypower email

Well i sometimes go overboard in preparing before i attempt a clean install on my Computers,  as i feel sometimes better to be over prepared than under prepared

*New Issue--The Newer Desktop barely fits on current desk,  working on trying to get approval for a newer Desk currently, if not i'll just manage as best i can with current desk til someday its approved on getting a newer one**

Very little space in the rear to plug into Rear USB ports, but sometime i'll get approval for a newer desk, i just don't know when as yet

**Severe Anxiety disabled, so no choice but to let Family control my money, despite i do get Sad at times when i really want someting and can't get it, but is what it is** 

Overall though new System performance is great!! thus far,  but was very heavy carrying up the stairs

*Yes i know the glass got a litle dirty, i'll get that cleaned soon as i can** 

20240712_172636.jpg

For that motherboard, here's the specs link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650-VC-WIFI/Specification

There are 2x M.2, but the second M2 slot runs at PCIe 4.0 x2 (vs x4) if you're running Ryzen 5 8500G CPU 

Fair point - good to be prepared. I suspect you won't run into problems, but always good to have a backup plan. Since it's prebuilt, your manufacturer should list out all the components - you can then grab drivers from the individual component's manufacturer site. 

Processor Running  AMD Ryzen 7700X   

Otherwise all seems to be running fine thus far,  Temps in check,   All USB ports that i can access seem to be working perfectly fine,   i'll have to test Rear USB C in the way future once i have the new desk and can actually access back there better lol

May decide to reinstall Nero Platinum Suite that i have a lifetime license to--not sure i need that though,  might wait and see if i really need it, prior to reinstalling it