Auto Insurance? (USA only)

My current auto insurance company (American Family) has raised my rates by $200 in January, and now raised by another $300 in July.

We have two cars, a Kia and Subaru.

Current monthly payments are at $250 a month...

I been with this company since I was 17, for more then 10 years..

Clean record, I had one accident maybe 15 years ago, and no tickets.

They won't lower the rates, and even when I showed them quotes from other insurance companies that are much lower..

For same coverage:

Geicko - 158

Allstate - 168

Farmers - 200

Progressive - 110

American Family won't budge... So I think its time to switch..

Anyway, I made this topic to see what other people around here use, and what are your thoughts on Geicko, Allstate, Farmers or Progressive? Or any other company out there.

Sorry I ain't in the US but I am an insurance agent in Mexico.
Which, if actually done well can become a profession by itself.

I will mention general ideas, as of course the legistation is different between our countries however there are some factors are still share a common sense.

Per experiencie talking with my clients, it's extremely rare is it actually "the same coverage for less price". There are many small print factors that are make it different. 

Now if it's anything similar Mexico to the US, there are many agents that just sell you the insurance but won't actually tell you the fine fine print. At the end, the client decides and will get mad or get happy UNTIL there's an accident.
As a reference, our fine print is a pdf of 60 pages long.

Let's talk Tech. Take the i5 14th gen. There are 8 varients. Only PC enthusits know the difference, the rest of the world don't have the least idea and would go with i3 because it's cheaper.. Insurance ain't no different.

Reason being the agents here don't explain to each detail is becasue the comission is so small, not worth it.

So food for thought. In the end I wasn't able to help you, but do consider there's more than meets the eye

You're from IL, but you haven't considered your hometown hero, State Farm?  That's who I use and I have zero complaints.

Am Fam probably needs some extra money to fund their sponsorship of the MKE Brewers, haha.

Did you say your car insurance is 250 a month? Christ my car insurance (Ireland) is 390 a year and I think it's too high, it also went up for no good reason this year. Insurance companies are ######

I've had State Farm for over 20 years and am happy with them.  I pay around $575.00 a year with full coverage.  I pay every 6 months and the increases have been $8-$12.

hmm, I think I will have to visit state farm...

There online quote request is not very helpful, after filling out all the info it just says "send to agent", been 48 hours and no one from state farm called so far..

On 25/07/2024 at 16:04, nekrosoft13 said:

hmm, I think I will have to visit state farm...

There online quote request is not very helpful, after filling out all the info it just says "send to agent", been 48 hours and no one from state farm called so far..

Look online for a local State Farm Agent and call them directly.  I've had the same agent for the last 17 years and she has been great.

On 25/07/2024 at 14:20, Som said:

Did you say your car insurance is 250 a month? Christ my car insurance (Ireland) is 390 a year and I think it's too high, it also went up for no good reason this year. Insurance companies are ######

They are not, however your answer is very common. 

Without going into much detail, USA costs are VERY different (for example labor) also the state/nation population of Ireland is 1/60 of the US. Amoung over dozen reasons.

Like I said, there is more than meets the eye. It's normal when you don't know the topic at hand. 
Go to a cooking forum and talk how freelance developers fees are reasonable, people won't get it.

Don't be loyal to your insurance company (or any company). If you find a cheaper rate for the same coverage, go with that company

I was paying a little over $1600/year for 2 vehicles/2 drivers. I bought a house and bundled homeowners/auto insurance. I now pay $900/year for both with better coverage.

No one has any experience with Geico, Allstate, Farmers or Progressive?

eSurance (part of Allstate) was pretty good for me, and they handled claims well.  That being, we just switched to a shared plan with my girlfriend and added home insurance and moved to AAA.  Overall, we're paying $300 less, but we had to join AAA, which has it's own benefits.

I use Erie Insurance in Central Ohio, I have Full coverage with $300K total coverage, $200K Medical, $250 Deductable, Free rental care if necessary. and its $53 a month (2016 Mazda 3)

We had Farmers for years but I can't really comment on auto rates because the car was bundled in with my home owners policy. We landed up cancelling them after the home owner policy renewal was too expensive (58% increase).