Looking for a laptop

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 14" laptop with AMD Ryzen™ 7 8840U which has an integrated 780M GPU.  I've found this perfectly good for light gaming and day to day work.

Others seem to have missed the idea of wanting a laptop. The Legion Go or a mini PC mean that your son would also need to carry around a keyboard, mouse, monitor, cables...not easily portable.

Out of the two options that you have shared, I would probably consider the Lenovo LOQ 15ARP9 (your first link). The extra €100 seems to give you a nice upgrade compared to the other choice you provided.

More generally, I would say that Lenovo or Dell are solid choices for laptops, they'll last a long time if looked after right. My laptop before my current one was a Dell, and it ended up lasting me 8+ years. Heck, it still works fine but gaming wasn't viable anymore. When I find the time I'll turn it into a media server for the home.

On 04/08/2024 at 09:22, Nick H. said:

Others seem to have missed the idea of wanting a laptop. The Legion Go or a mini PC mean that your son would also need to carry around a keyboard, mouse, monitor, cables...not easily portable.

Out of the two options that you have shared, I would probably consider the Lenovo LOQ 15ARP9 (your first link). The extra €100 seems to give you a nice upgrade compared to the other choice you provided.

More generally, I would say that Lenovo or Dell are solid choices for laptops, they'll last a long time if looked after right. My laptop before my current one was a Dell, and it ended up lasting me 8+ years. Heck, it still works fine but gaming wasn't viable anymore. When I find the time I'll turn it into a media server for the home.

With Legion Go the only additional thing you would need is foldable keyboard, since you can detach right controller and turn it into a mouse. Which means that something like ProtoArc Foldable Bluetooth Keyboard keyboard is all you need.

On 04/08/2024 at 09:22, Nick H. said:

Pefrectly portable

He does have a good gaming PC and needs a laptop for school next year but would also like to do some light gaming with it occasionally. Mostly Minecraft, Rust 2 and whatever that current CS version was.

On 04/08/2024 at 06:28, Joni_78 said:

Out of the 3 laptops you posted, this one is the best. The Lenovo is a close second. 

Since this is being used for school, if battery life is of any value, don't buy a gaming laptop.

On 04/08/2024 at 15:23, tsupersonic said:

Out of the 3 laptops you posted, this one is the best. The Lenovo is a close second. 

Since this is being used for school, if battery life is of any value, don't buy a gaming laptop.

Thanks we ordered that MSI laptop. Yeah we did discuss it but he said it does not matter.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if Windows 10 works with these ”AI” processors (Ryzen 7 8845 HS)?

On 05/08/2024 at 10:58, Joni_78 said:

Does anyone know if Windows 10 works with these ”AI” processors (Ryzen 7 8845 HS)?

Yes, Windows 10 supports the Ryzen 7 8845 HS. Link to AMD's site: https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/laptop/ryzen/8000-series/amd-ryzen-7-8845hs.html. That lists Windows 10 as supported. That laptop you ordered comes with Windows 11 Home, so you will have to 'downgrade' it to Windows 10. Keep in mind Windows 10 becomes unsupported next year. I would keep Windows 11.