Uses for Older HP Omen Gaming Laptop

Hello All

Should i stick with Replacement Plan sometime late 2024 or early 2025 replacing with either another HP Omen or Asus Tuf All AMD model?     

Currently used for some light games at times,  SecondLife it barely supports anymore, so been using the bigger more powerful Desktop mostly for my SecondLife gaming and such,  Moved Police Simulator : Patrol officer over to Main Desktop and it runs so much better lol,   so far kept 9-1-1 Operator on PC 2 (Gaming Laptop) and Lawn Mower Simulator

Or should i have local shop upgrade it as far as possible, and use it for longer, and forget on replacing til closer to October 2025.       ((Still can't get the one screw out in order to get bottom cover off to do any upgrades on it myself, or i would've already upgraded the storage in this laptop,  battery,  and memory to high as it could go) 

So you're running it fine with your Desktop?  So why don't you keep everything on your desktop? Or is that not plausible?

Do you need to have a laptop?

What of the laptop is slow? RAM, HDD/SSD, CPU/GPU?

Well probably cpu, gpu and Ram, Guess I could expand desktop storage more in future.

Laptop mostly sits on desk, sometimes moves to another room, but typically in same spot

Specs are in my signature, 2017 Hp Omen. 

Used it as backup computer to desktop for years, but secondlife requirements changing for more ram, and video ram mostly.  

Guess I could figure things out more in coming months

If you have the time and inclination, put a light distro of Linux on it. Learn Linux. It's fun and challenging.

https://www.linuxliteos.com

I turned my old laptop into a personal Cloud storage solution. I'm also going to look into making it a home media server in order to stream things to the TV rather than directly connecting my new laptop via a HDMI cable. And it's a 2-in-1 laptop, so I've flipped it upside down to remove the keyboard, so it's a digital photoframe when I'm not working on it.

• Like 2

Never have used Ebay,  so not familar with how Ebay works that much--nor have i bought anything from Ebay 

did use it some eariler, and then swapped back to Desktop later in the afternoon

Just knows eventually gotta make a final decision as Windows 10 support is gonna end in 2025

Unless my local PC Shop will take it as a trade for possibly a newer model come sometime next year, is my other possible option that went thru my mind

Can always go Linux, bro. This way you won't have to worry about getting EOL.

Yes, some distros die. But there's always an alternative.

If those games are Steam games, you can use Proton. It works wonders. It's not perfect, but it does run several Windows Steam games.

You can even use SteamOS. based on Debian.

Yeah realizes now alot of options to consider

I used the system a good 3-4 hours this morning lol, then around 2:30PM Eastern Time  swapped back to Desktop to run some more high performance games lol.   

I tend to worry quite a bit on things,  but think now i know possible solutions when time comes on what to do fully 

Hello,

The laptop was released in 2017, so it is now seven years old at this point.

If you can hold off for another couple of months until Black Friday there should hopefully be some good deals on the latest AMD and Intel based gaming laptops.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah  i think i can hold off til then, and hopefully be able to snatch a deal then

Then plan is to get it maxed out on storage, memory early in its life lol, hopefully next one is easier to get opened than current one, and then can split the games half and half between the 2 Systems is my current plan i think lol.    

On 27/08/2024 at 22:12, goretsky said:

Black Friday

Black Friday is huge well known scam.  They sell overstock on high prices.

Highest priced on Christmas sales, Black Friday, Back2School deals

Lowest prices on Presidential Day, January 13th, Mid of May-June

On 28/08/2024 at 22:25, WITHOUT-ME said:

Some, yes, all? no.

On 28/08/2024 at 21:25, WITHOUT-ME said:

Highest priced on Christmas sales, Black Friday, Back2School deals

Lowest prices on Presidential Day, January 13th, Mid of May-June

Hello,

Sometimes, yes.  But you can also get some good deals if you are careful and research prices.  Historically, I have gotten some good deals on CPUs, memory and storage during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, as well as Amazon's Prime Day and similar from competitors (Newegg Fantastech, etc.).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Thanks 1