Team develops next-generation wearable continuous glucose monitoring system for diabetes management

Leveraging rapid technological advances for human health is a global trend, driving the rise of biomedical engineering research.

An interdisciplinary research team, including the Faculty of Engineering and Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine at The University of Hong Kong (HKU), Zhejiang University, and Guangzhou Medical University, has developed a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system that represents a major advancement in wearable health technology and is set to revolutionize diabetes management.

Their research has been published in Science Advances, titled "Coin-sized, fully integrated, and minimally invasive continuous glucose monitoring system based on organic electrochemical transistors."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-09-team-generation-wearable-glucose-diabetes.html

next-generation-wearab.thumb.jpg.2e24731406c3062ee37e3a950b847965.jpg

If they could reduce the itching and discomfort of current CGM's that would be great, but im not sure how i feel about a Microneedle Array. I would prefer the Optical Glucose Sensors that are being developed that you can just include in a smart watch style device (if not just in an actual smart watch)

I currently use a Dexcom G7 and the insertion is nearly painless but after a few days the pulling, itching and just general discomfort makes them annoying.

On 18/09/2024 at 13:06, LittleNeutrino said:

If they could reduce the itching and discomfort of current CGM's that would be great, but im not sure how i feel about a Microneedle Array. I would prefer the Optical Glucose Sensors that are being developed that you can just include in a smart watch style device (if not just in an actual smart watch)

I currently use a Dexcom G7 and the insertion is nearly painless but after a few days the pulling, itching and just general discomfort makes them annoying.

I have the same problem with CGM, decided to keep the finger sticks. At least when they're over, they're over. Optical would be very nice.