AutoPatcher XP Windows Explorer slowdown

To be honest i've always avoided to install the Advanced Networking Pack, just gives me the weird feeling that it does slow something inside the system.

hehehe... i have the same feeling on my Pentium III system (secondary PC)... dunno why or what... but everything seems to respond slower...

Im getting this problem to.

Ive twice installed 4.5 on a fresh install of xp and i get explorer slowdowns for about 10 minutes then it goes away.

Ive got an older version on AP on another machine and i dont get these problems so it must be somthing in the new version.

jonnywells, first, let me welcome you to neowin...

Flishfun will have to do a little research on all these hotfixes and see if there's any known slowdown issue...

do you have a hyperthreading CPU by any chance? maybe its related?

/Raptor

No, the appected pc runs on a AMD xp 1700.

Ive looked at the task manager and theres nothing hoging the mem/cpu.

The only things i have installed are, SP1, Nforce 3.13 drivers, Nvidia 53.03 GFX drivers and AP 4.5. Ive never had any problems before with any of these drivers so im 99% sure its nothing to do with them and its somthing to do with somthing AP has installed/changed

how bout the rest of you guys experiencing this problem? any specific cpu or mobo chipset?

Yeah, maybe there's something similar there. :/ Very very odd this one is...

true, im trying to find the 'logic' or 'no-logic' behind all this... i mean... all these systems must have something in common... i hope that 'something' doesnt turn out to be the OS :p

JESUS! :o

I had the same problem with my IE. it was right after i installed Autpatcher's updates and put my new adsl modem on my pc..

that made me go back to 2k.. you DONT know how annoying that is.. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

my guess is that it might have something to do with the "tweaks" that autopatcher is offering.. didnt have time to test it myself because the work i do on my pc is very importand for me and didn't have time to spare..

my guess is that it might have something to do with the "tweaks" that autopatcher is offering.. didnt have time to test it myself because the work i do on my pc is very importand for me and didn't have time to spare..

It's very bizzare, it's such a very small number of people that are having this issue! :/ It may be the tweaks, but as it is now, there aren't many being installed. Very very odd.... :wacko:

Yeah I have the same problem, If I install the updates from windows update it seems to be fine but If i use autopatcher my system is noticeably slower. Not sure of the reason. But i would have to say that it is about 10% slower.

I have a Pentium4 2.8Ghz HT proc

Asus P4p8000 Motherboard

512MB Ram

and various other things.

My computer is of a farily high spec and I don't know what the prob is. If you need more information or for me to test various things don't hesistate to ask, It seems that I format pretty often anyway. I'll probably be around here anyway, but if i'm not just drop us a PM. .

It seems to be slowing down the tasks in general related to windows, Like opening my computer, folders etc. It is hard to describe but you can definately feel a slow down

It seems to be slowing down the tasks in general related to windows, Like opening my computer, folders etc. It is hard to describe but you can definately feel a slow down

I asked once at the beginning but no one answered... have you tried defragging, by any chance?

Yeah I have defragged. It happens just after I do a fresh format. I have abosolutely nothing else on except the OS and all is going fine but as soon as I restart after AutoPatcher had finished that is when I notice the slowdown even after I defrag.

Yeah I have defragged. It happens just after I do a fresh format. I have abosolutely nothing else on except the OS and all is going fine but as soon as I restart after AutoPatcher had finished that is when I notice the slowdown even after I defrag.

Huh...:huh:h: That's just not right at all.:/:/ I've done some looking and the only updates I've found that cause a slowdown, I don't have in the AP...:s:s

i have the same problem IE and Explorer... it speeds up after i have opened it a couple of times..

See! That's what makes it even more confusing!! The reports of the "Slowdown" just going away! :s

Hi,

I get this also.

During the first time windows explorer is opened. It looks for network drives, and uses the Browser service to do this.

Once it determines that there are no other network drives to find it doesn't search again.

This is a microsoft thing, I remember reading about it. They added some services like UPnP and other junk. (Stuff like wireless plug and play on TCP network).

If you are feeling adventuresome, try turning off network sharing for file and print services--this should help. There are probably a few other services affecting the explorer slowdown, but I'm too tired to think right now.

(Go to administrative tools, and services). Also, make a system checkpoint before you start messing around. (accessories, system tools, system restore).

if you want to email me, just email l-y-s-t-a-d-j-o at m-s-u-.e-d-u

take out the dashes