AutoPatcher XP Windows Explorer slowdown

I downloaded Auto-patcher in 25 minutes (then burned it to cd using Nero)

I installed Auto-patcher in 25 minutes

I rebooted

No slowdowns - No Problems - Connected to Internet OK

What's all the fuss about?????

Dumb question but did y'all install the latest version of your video drivers?

See, I agree with that... check. That would also explain, maybe, why the slowdown sometimes seems to just vanish. They may have updated their drivers and not thought anything about it. :s

FYI, Win+E does take 5 seconds for me also.

I am probably correct by saying that it's not the Windows XP hotfixes.

It's probably

1) the order of the Windows update installation (DirectX is installed AFTER Windows updates?????)

2) one of the Microsoft software APXP has

FYI, Win+E does take 5 seconds for me also.

I am probably correct by saying that it's not the Windows XP hotfixes.

It's probably

1) the order of the Windows update installation (DirectX is installed AFTER Windows updates?????)

2) one of the Microsoft software APXP has

Well, I doubt it's the order, honestly. But whatever it is, why doesn't it affect everyone? :s It's only a limited number that have the issue. Very very odd. :/ BTW, have you tested RC2.5, Opti?

Well, I doubt it's the order, honestly. But whatever it is, why doesn't it affect everyone? :s It's only a limited number that have the issue. Very very odd. :/ BTW, have you tested RC2.5, Opti?

I apparently am having a very hard time updating the RC1 package so no, not yet.

I apparently am having a very hard time updating the RC1 package so no, not yet.

Why? What's the problem? Hit me up on MSN.

I've just installed AP XP 4.5 on my brand new machine which is :

Intel D865GBF

P4 2.8E HT Processor

1 Gb Kingston RAM

I've skipped .NET Framework & JRE from the installation, it's working top notch so far, tremendous boot up speed and high class processor response.

I've just installed AP XP 4.5 on my brand new machine which is :

Intel D865GBF

P4 2.8E HT Processor

1 Gb Kingston RAM

I've skipped .NET Framework & JRE from the installation, it's working top notch so far, tremendous boot up speed and high class processor response.

Sweetness! Exactly what I want to hear! :)

Hi Guys,

Does having the following setting in Windows Explorer make any difference to this issue?

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Automatically search for network folders and printers (Ticked)

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Launch folder windows in seperate processes (Unticked)

If you tick reverse the default settings above do things get any better or worse?

Kind Regards

Zed

Hi Guys,

Does having the following setting in Windows Explorer make any difference to this issue?

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Automatically search for network folders and printers (Ticked)

Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Launch folder windows in seperate processes (Unticked)

If you tick reverse the default settings above do things get any better or worse?

Kind Regards

Zed

That's a good question. Anyone with this slowdown issue give that a try for us! :)

Holy S**t. Following what PsiMoon314 said seemed to increased the speed of windows explorer. That's weird.

Did it?? :blink:

Actually it made My Computer and other Windows Open faster I should say. I thought that was due to visual slowing it down. But yeah that seemed to help it out a little bit.

Edit: Sorry for making it sound like it was a big deal. It was late when I worte that. :wacko:

Even though i dont need any more performance increase ;) still i felt windows explorer response a lot better after checks & unchecks.

UPDATE: I ran APXP March 2.5 Silver

I installed ONLY Microsoft Windows XP OS updates, no other software, tweaks, or any MS addons

Windows Explorer still is slowing down. (Win+E takes 5 seconds)

CONCLUSION:

Flish is trying to hax us! (JK)

No farther than what I predicted last, apparently one or two Microsoft addon software got installed so it's still either

1) order of install

2) extra Microsoft software

i installed the dec update..and noticed the same kind of slowdown with explorer.exe...it takes awhile for the service to launch at boot up as well...my pc boots into the desktop, but explorer.exe doesn't start till about 7 sec. later..i see my wallpaper, hear the 'windows starting' .wav, but no taskbar or icons till a few seconds later..it shouldn't take that long...and after explorer.exe has finally launched, there's still a considerable slowdown in opening explorer windows...however, this happens only in the first 5 min. after bootup..after that, explorer works find...until the next reboot...

i've searched everywhere but couldn't find a fix..i tried everything suggested in this thread...i've used bootvis, hijack this, checked all my services, my startup list (msconfig)..but can't find the real culprit to the slowdown...

Does This Mean We Shouldnt Install AP XP? Explorer Works Perfectly When AP XP Isnt Installed ?

See I can't live without it cause it makes the computer feel stable. With the explore slow down; it doesn't bother me that much. All I can say is what FlishFun and nw_raptor said is that it might be one of the hotfixes causing it. So really it's not there program doing it.

I will be doing more testing over the weeks and hopefully can find the culprit (Y)

It's not the hotfixes, that's for sure.

My computer is affected by the explorer slowdown somewhat (Win+E takes 5 seconds to load, changing Taskbar settings takes 5 seconds to save) and if I do an unattended install (I don't use APXP for this) it is fine.

I'm thinking maybe the order of install or the Remote Desktop Connection 5.2(3??) software.