Mmm... question

OK, I'm about to re-format a computer tomorrow... do I need to install SP1 even though I will install AP4.5 to be secure? I mean.. do I really have to install SP1? I know AP 4.5 will probably work without SP1.

Absolutely. AutoPatcher XP REQUIRES Service Pack 1 (or 1a) be installed before running. (Y) It could cause massive instabilities in your system otherwise.

ok... so... after a reformat, I'll install SP1a, and then..... do I have to do the updates? or just isntall AP 4.5 right away?

Step 1. Format

Step 2. Install SP1a

Step 3. Run AutoPatcher XP

Step 4. Install Antivirus, etc.

Step 5. Defrag

(Y)

Step 1. Format

Step 2. Install SP1a

Step 3. Run AutoPatcher XP

Step 4. Install Antivirus, etc.

Step 5. Defrag

(Y)

Why would you defrag if you just finished formatting the HD? There is nothing to 'defrag'! ;)

Yes and you just installed a MS OS... There's alot of file swapping that occurs during the install of patches You definitely want to defrag to get maximum system performance.

i like defragging right after a fresh installation... put everything in place and cleans up all the messy areas :)

Exactly. You'd be amazed how fragmented your system will be after installing Windows, SP1, then the AutoPatcher. I believe a lot of the "Performance Issues" people speak of come from not defragmenting.

take me for instance... i havent defragged since i installed Windows :p lol... kinda funny... i always say "its good to defrag", but i never do it :p only one defrag after a fresh install, then nothing :p

take me for instance... i havent defragged since i installed Windows :p lol... kinda funny... i always say "its good to defrag", but i never do it :p only one defrag after a fresh install, then nothing :p

Tsk Tsk! I use Diskeeper religiously. Sometimes it makes me forget how crappy of a system I'm running. :laugh:

OK. Lets all send our spare parts or any monetary donations to the "Get Flish a Better System" Fund. All proceeds are not tax deductable but you will be providing for future AutoPatcher goodness. And remember, if we have crappy computers, then the terrorists have already won.

lol eds... and ma, those specs really suck!

I *told* you they did. :laugh: Did you notice that mobo has three PCI slots and an ISA slot, no AGP, yet supports Athlon XP Series chips. :wacko: It's so odd... sucks so bad. I didn't ever tell you about my monitor (IBM P50S 15" Monitor) or speakers (Benwin, anyone?). :p

where did you pick that system up? a trashcan or something?

hahaha Sadly I built it. It started as a $200 POS eMachine eTower 433i. I then gutted it, and upgraded it part by part, until finally having none of the original parts. I never have much money on hand, always being saved for something. lol So I've yet to get a more decent system.

lol... i always like collecting enough money and then get a good upgrade... my latest computers are home-made and none of the original parts are now in the cases :p

lol... i always like collecting enough money and then get a good upgrade... my latest computers are home-made and none of the original parts are now in the cases :p

I know... unfortunately, I move a lot... and my money goes there. All my money I've been savin' for my next big move (in June). (Y)

after using AP 4.5 I did a baseline check..

I got 9 yellow Xs... and this is one of the reason:

File version is greater than expected. [C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll, 5.131.2600.1152 > 5.131.2600.1123]

why is that?