Symantec/Norton SystemWorks 2004 & AntiVirus

Question

This is for anyone who uses Norton AntiVirus that comes with SystemWorks 2004. Has anyone encourted the thing where if you are downloading something or transfering large amounts of data between HDs where a little window in the bottom right hand corner pops up saying for example "windows is waiting for a scan of......." or "internet explorer is waiting for a scan of......." those kind of messages. I never had this problem with SystemWorks 2003. This issue doesn't happen all that often but often enough to where its irritating. Any comments?

5 answers to this question

This is for anyone who uses Norton AntiVirus that comes with SystemWorks 2004. Has anyone encourted the thing where if you are downloading something or transfering large amounts of data between HDs where a little window in the bottom right hand corner pops up saying for example "windows is waiting for a scan of......." or "internet explorer is waiting for a scan of......." those kind of messages. I never had this problem with SystemWorks 2003. This issue doesn't happen all that often but often enough to where its irritating. Any comments?

i've never had this problem? :blink:

running norton systemworks 2004 pro on xp pro

might try a fresh installation?

This is for anyone who uses Norton AntiVirus that comes with SystemWorks 2004.  Has anyone encourted the thing where if you are downloading something or transfering large amounts of data between HDs where a little window in the bottom right hand corner pops up saying for example "windows is waiting for a scan of......." or "internet explorer is waiting for a scan of......." those kind of messages.  I never had this problem with SystemWorks 2003.  This issue doesn't happen all that often but often enough to where its irritating.  Any comments?

That only happens on slow computers and/or with VERY large archive files. There is probably an option to disable scanning within archives.

Actually, that's normal in SystemWorks 2004 but doesn't happen in earlier versions... Right click on the NAV icon on the system tray and choose Open Norton AntiVirus then when the Norton SystemWorks windows open, click on Norton AntiVirus under the Options Menu. After that, double click on Autoprotect on the left hand side and click on Advanced and you'll see this:

What to do when scanning compressed files

Display alert when application is blocked.

I think you can uncheck it but it will still pause when you need to copy the file...

one thing i've noticed with nsw 2004 is that it hideously slows the pc down on boot-up. for example, nav seems to take far too long to load once the desktop appears.

I too asked this same question on another board, the response that I got was to open Norton Systemworks, click on options, at the bottom, underneath where it says, "What File Types to Scan for Viruses", change from the default of "Comprehensive ile scanning (recommended)", to "Scan files using SmartScan", I also leave checked the radio box for "Scan within compressed files". I very rarely see that anymore, and have yet to catch any virus. Hope this helps :D