640x480 pics... size?

Question

I've seen a Nokia 7200 with build-in camera. The resolution of this camera in 640x480 (max), so ideal snapshot quality.

The cellphone has a 4MB shared memory, so I was wondering what the average/highest size of a JPEG-file is in the 640x480 resolution modus (640x480 = 307200, so that makes 307kB right?, but does JPEG compress it? And what is the normal size than?)

And how much pictures can be saved onto this 4MB memory?

Thanks for helping me out.

10 answers to this question

I just took a screenshot of my desktop and then resized the image to 640*480 and it came to aprox 74k. Hope this helps :blink: :D

depends on the compression... you can compress jpegs a lot and get a really cruddy pic, or you can just do some basic compression and end up with big files but good quality. It totally depends. Ask the manufacturer how much compression it uses.

i made this image in an attempt to make a rather complicated jpg and then i saved it at the highest quality jpg photoshop would allow. it comes out right at 100kb

EDIT: Weeee! 500th post! mini-party just for me :p :fun:

post-12-1082355275.jpg

My E715 has 9mb of shared memory, so there's 4mb of memory just for photos. The resolution I take photos at is 640x480, it really depends, I've got photos ranging from 50kb to over 70kb. But the average amount is about 60kb. A preview can be found in the quality can be found here in the member's pic thread. Hope that helps a little.

EDIT: Usually with cell/mobile phone cameras, you can select the type of quality. For example, on my phone there's Economy, Normal, Fine and Super Fine. I always take pictures in Super Fine, and that's how the quality and size ends up to be.

Edited by yanman

Cameras tend to have their own compression, I'm not sure if the Nokia does, but my Canon can hold ~20 or 30 more pictures on a 128 MB card than it would on disk.