Recommend An Font

Question

13 answers to this question

1001fonts.com check that site out. As far as main content, Verdana is the most common for text on a webpage. Very easy on the eyes. For headers and such, depends on your content, pick something that goes w/the overall theme of your site. If it's an obscure font, make sure it's part of an image, and not just text in the document, as people who don't have that font installed will see a less-cool substitute.

Your choices are somewhat limited, but within that you can do a little wiggling. You have two major families: Serif (like times) and sans-serif (like helvetica), for your site I'd go with a sans serif.

They vary from platform to platform, in a perfect world my font list would go something like:

Lucidia Grande, Helvetica, Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Sans Serif

Lucidia Grande and Helvetica are standard issue for the Macintosh crowd. Helvetica ships with the adobe products (ie: photoshop, illustrator) but otherwise you can't really guarantee it'll be available to your visitors who run windows. Century gothic is standard on a few *NIX environments and IMO is very attractive but a little too tight for my taste - though not as nice as helvetica. I used to use it (century gothic) for essays in my english courses and I always did pretty well so take that as you will.

Then you round out the bunch with Verdana: the "big" Microsoft screen font which is standard on just about every browser in the world: Every flavor of windows shipped in the last decade has a copy + it was standard issue with internet explorer. Every macintosh system since the mid 90s has shipped with IE as the default browser, and it's even on most *NIX systems. I specify it just because it's everywhere, even though I typically don't care for it - the only time Verdana looks particularly good is as 10 pixel non-aliased text.

Lastly there is arial, the cheap arial knockoff. I don't like the font, but again it's available on almost every computer on earth so if the others fail you can always fall back on it. Lastly sans-serif for browsers that don't have any of the 'common' fonts like cellphones.

There are millions of other fonts out there - but if you need to download them, then your audience will too. 999/1000 people will NOT do that so you have to work with what they're likely to have.

Here's how it looking now.. What do you all think?

I'm using graphics for the menus evn and I am though hoping you'll help me with the CSS when it comes time ;)

post-31-1082809627.jpg